main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[The TV Shows] Has the MS discussed this at all?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Ignant, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    With teh TV shows being the current projects prtty soon, has the MS discussed them, in terms of if they'll have their own forum, or perhaps two forums, spoiler and non-spoiler? I realise there is teh Small Screen Forum, but that's mostly old projects, with teh exception of Clone Wars.

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    We havn't discussed anything on it as of the moment. I imagine its because its really still a long ways off unless production and still has already started and LFL just kept it hush hush until C3?

I hope that each of those shows will get their own forum as it'd be silly IMO to clump the 30 minute cartoon and the probably 1 hour live action show in the same forum. Even more so in SSSW as thats mainly the 2 minute cartoons + the old ewoks and droids.

3. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    True it is way early...but then the ROTS forum started before AOTC was even released.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We have Small Screen Star Wars which (while my [unwed child] step-forum at the moment) will be cleaned up this weekend after my extended line-up.

That will be the place for upcoming TV and we have several threads going already with facts and speculations.

5. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Will it be spoiler or non-spoiler?

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The current theory amongst myself and most of the forumites there at the moment is that it will follow TF.n's spoiler guidelines for the TV series and all spoilers will be confined to designated threads.

7. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I think that it can probably be handled in the same way that the Literature forum handles spoilers. We often have new material coming out on a weekly material, what with several ongoing comics, video games, novels, cartoons, websites, RPG supplements, etc providing new information. I believe that a forum can be run with spoiled and non-spoiled threads running alongside each other. It takes slightly more active moderation by times than the alternative (multiple forums) but I think that it pays off by keeping a community together instead of dividing it into non-spoiled and spoiled camps.

8. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    So...why have seperate forums for the movies? Not only that, but the non-spoiled as a private board.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Because, and I mean this with no disrespect, the movies are far more important and way more "tentpole" forums to screw them up.

The Literature Forum, while my bread and butter and hugely important to me, do not hold the same amount of weight that the movies forums do.

Which will be the same for the SSSW Forum...

EDIT: Also, it's a function of traffic. The Lit forum (and the SSSW forum even when TV shows are coming out) will not generate the same amount of day-to-day traffic that the movie forums combined generate.

10. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Right, they don't. And I doubt even a live action show will, either. But I think it'll be higher lit. Especially if the show is good. Honestly, I don't know. I was just wondering if there had been any discussion. Probably premature. It's a problem I have, just ask Glymmer.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No problem. Sape has the same issue! :p

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Right now I was thinking all of it would go into Small Screen Star Wars. We haven't discussed it much at all because it is a very distant blip on a far away radar screen. We'll flesh it out as we move closer. But whether there will be spoilers or not will remain to be seen.

13. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I dunno I think the live action will have a larger crowd than the movies or at least a more dedicated fanbase. I can easily envision it having more traffic than SSW + Lit + CT + Games combined and thats just for the one show. I mean we're talking a season + worth of material to discuss with about 20+ hours of showtime compared to 2-3 for a movie.

But its probably way too soon to create a forum for it. Thats just my opinion on the matter.

14. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't think we had spoilers for the cartoon so I don't think we'd need it here.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What we did, and it worked well, was to have one "official" thread per episode create "day of" the episode with spoilers allowed in that thread.

We also had a general spoilers thread about the upcoming season as well as a single speculation thread.

All of this worked well so far...

16. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

That seems like a pretty sensible approach to take.

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    And probably no reason to deviate from that since this is essentially the same thing.

18. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Except the first 19 Clone Wars cartoons were all of three minutes long and the rest weren't significantly longer.

A single thread for a 60 minute live action show hardly seems sufficient. There's really no reason not to have a dedicated forum to the shows, since the PT forums will have merged by then and probably not heavily visited.

Amazing.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    A single thread for a 60 minute live action show hardly seems sufficient. There's really no reason not to have a dedicated forum to the shows, since the PT forums will have merged by then and probably not heavily visited.

A screenplay is approximately one minute per page of the screenplay (as translated from word to screen). A standard EU novel is 300 pages and we only have one discussion thread per novel. We also allow other specific discussion outside of the designated thread.

To forestall your possible later points -- there are roughly the same amount of individual comics and novels (we allow one thread per) as there are typical numbers of episodes in one year of television (22).

There's no reason to change anything at the moment because it's likely that the forum will be fine the way it is. We'll likely just need more mods than just myself, but that's a ways off.

20. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    We're nearing the end of the movie rush but eventually we will have the tv show rush and that'll be more prolonged and neverending once the show actually hits screentime. I don't see how all that stuff will fit in one forum especially if only an episode is only allowed one thread. Think how much information is contained within the first hour of ROTS. And we're going to have that much content if not possibly more (since this'll be based on minor characters, etc.) all in one thread. Thats way too many possible discussion topics for one thread IMO. You'd just be jamming an entire hour into one thread that could possibly have 30/40 different discussion routes. Too many threads is bad, but on the flip side too few threads is bad as well.

DP as a movie mod I can honostly say that you can't cram an entire movie into one thread like you can a book, and even the books eventually have their own threads to discuss. You just do 1 book thread for the initial run but then its fair game. And I dont' see how an hour long show can compete to a book. The show will pwn the book as far as activity goes. Major pwnage here.

21. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I agree with Errant_Venture. A new forum will be needed. We've picked apart every single line and scene from the movies, and will a whole season of TV episodes, it will happen all over again.

But it's a long ways off still.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I agree with Errant_Venture. A new forum will be needed. We've picked apart every single line and scene from the movies, and will a whole season of TV episodes, it will happen all over again.

Yes, because most of the folks in the movie forums have shown SO MUCH interest in the EU.

Which is what the TV series will be.

I'm a'twitter with the possibility of converting all those purists.

Which, of course, would surprise me to no end...

23. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    How exactly is the tv show EU? Will it not be on the same par as the movies continuity wise? Will it not override any and all EU previously established (if it conflicts with something)

Oh and we're not talking about people who read books/comics/games. We're talking about millions of people who watch television. This'll have a much larger audience. And as such much larger activity here on the boards than Lit + SSSW CT + Games has.

24. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I agree, we're going to need a whole forum for it... threads for discussions of certain characters, plot speculation, etc. 100 episodes is huge. I mean, the worst that that could happen is that the show sucks and the forum isn't popular. We already have multiple unpopular forums that not many people post in....so what.

I'd like to see a whole forum for it to encourage as much discussion as possible.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    How exactly is the tv show EU? Will it not be on the same par as the movies continuity wise? Will it not override any and all EU previously established (if it conflicts with something)

No, it's won't. It's EU, meaning it's not the same level of canon as the movies. Lucas won't be doing the TV series himself (his words), so there's little chance of it being G-canon.

Oh and we're not talking about people who read books/comics/games. We're talking about millions of people who watch television. This'll have a much larger audience. And as such much larger activity here on the boards than Lit + SSSW CT + Games has.

I think you're very wrong but I'm prepared to be happily proven wrong myself.

EDIT: Look, I understand what you're trying to say but I think you very much overestimate the cross-over between movie folks and TV folks. Will we need more coverage in there? Absolutely. Will we need more forums? Possibly, but I feel unlikely. Will we make corrections if it's determined we need more forums? Absolutely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.