main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The two canons and "happy ending overrides"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hamburger_Time, Jul 14, 2018.

?

Which continuity had the biggest "happy ending override?"

1. The new canon

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. Legends

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. Both were equal

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  4. Neither is a true "override"

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Luke: So then Palpatine told me to torture some ewoks. I had to do it, you know, or Palpatine would have killed them himself. So i used force lightning, but made sure it was a very low voltage! And they definitely didn't die, you know, although i hear they are confined to a mental institution now. But if i didn't shock them, Palpatine would have killed them and...

Mon Mothma: La la la, im not hearing this!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    It's actually not...'cause in context I'm addressing two things:

An above poster said that "half the galaxy was killed'. I was addressing the hyperbole. Half the galaxy was not killed. If someone said, in what seems to be a serious manner, "Half the world was killed in WWII", I'd probably correct that too.

Second, I'm addressing the what I observe to be ( i could be wrong) that the NR vs FO war is less destructive than the Vong war. I'm saying it has the potential to be far more destructive depending on what the FO actually does.

Admittedly, I'm assuming a time jump. You don't? You think the next movie will take place a week later?

Maybe. Doubt it.

I'm also taking a cynical view that TLJ was meant to set up the conditions for forever war.

Also, I didn't say it's the end of all authority. There are thousands if not millions of separate planetary governments. Central galactic government authority, however, seems to have evaporated.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  3. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Regarding the Vong war-statistically out of a population of 100 Quadrillion it killed 365 trillion-in terms of the galactic total that is a less than one percent percentage but on its own that is still a massive loss of life and amount of destruction. Far more than the clone wars I imagine.

Possibly, but in Legends city planets were bombed out of existence in some cases. Depending on how often that happened, the Clone Wars could have been just as destructive if not more.

My point is, depending on how long the NR vs FO war goes on and its intensity, you could have something potentially far worse. Especially since the FO seems like the "purge the infidels" type themselves.

kalzeth likes this.
  4. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    The solos lose both there sons and cheiw dies
    Luke is a sigule parent
    The vong killed ton of people
    A lot new Jed order jedi were killed in the vong war
    Are heroes had to the empire for like 20 years after return of the jedi and palpatine came back at one point ruining Vader's sacifice
    Jaina killer het brother now only child
    Ben and Jaina are the only grand childern left have Vader
    Pretty depressing really

So at least new canon gave the characters some years of peace

5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    As a personal point of view that's fair enough - but its a reality of the Star Wars universe that death is not necessarily the end for a Jedi. If the discussion concerns the end of characters' stories, well, death didn't end Obi-Wan's or Yoda's, and it's not unreasonable to point out that it probably won't end Luke's. Again, it didn't in Legends. Also: Ew.
    Is that coming from an actual EU source, or are you just making it up? Because I'm honestly having a really hard time believing that a.) In a galaxy where Jedi who "go dark" are known for the chaos they can cause, the NR wouldn't have been deeply concerned about Luke turning to the dark side during an unsanctioned "undercover mission," or that b.) Luke wouldn't have been entirely honest with the NR about what happened to him when he was a servant of the Emperor.
    I wasn't aware my screen name prohibited me from challenging bad comparisons and poorly thought-out justifications. Feel free to click on my name and select "Ignore" if I continue to present a problem. :D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Jedi Princess likes this.
  6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, in TOR, the Galactic Republic doesn't care if you're a Dark Sider.

They also supported Revan going dark because it meant him kicking the Mandalorians kester.

In the case of Dark Empire, the Republic probably accepted Leia's statement, "Luke was in a bad place for a while but he's good now."

Especially since he killed the Emperor and destroyed the World Devastators.

kalzeth likes this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Luke in legacy is appearing as a force ghost-to advise and beg his descedant to basically not throw away his destiny.

We don't know how Luke died in legends-my headcanon is that he died around 100 or so(81 ABY) and was at peace.

The Positive Fan and kalzeth like this.
  8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    On the other hand, by the time of the Clone Wars the Republic saw Jedi "going dark" as a matter of sufficient enough concern that other Jedi, such as Yoda, were sent to stop them.
    I'm more inclined toward this version - that the NR pursued an inquiry or investigation of some sort "offscreen" and, possibly after testimony from Leia as you suggest, exonerated Luke after deciding that the ends justified the means. That's somewhat better than the NR simply dismissing Luke's fall as a matter pertaining to his "spiritual health" or the Big Three actively concealing the full details of Luke's actions from the NR. I still feel like there'd be a disconnect with Jedi Search and specifically the Senate's enthusiastically positive reaction to Luke announcing his Jedi academy, though.

Another "bump" between DE and the JAT (unless it was resolved in some story that showed up after I amicably separated from the EU) was Han and Luke's post-DE friendship. Their relationship took a pretty severe hit in that story, and leaving their reconciliation to occur "offscreen" always felt, to me, like another disconnect between those stories.

9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm also assuming that there will be a time jump - as I said a few years. A few years is alot less terrible than decades of war.

Well that's your assumption to make, but I don't think it's particularly fair.

So what's your point about the destruction of the Hosnian system causing an anything goes situation, if it really doesn't change that much stability wise?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    This warning is in reference to some exchanges earlier in this thread. No personal attacks, be respectful of each other. Apologies for the late reminder, I was in the hospital earlier this week and wasn’t able to address in the appropriate timely manner. Debate/discuss points, do NOT attack individual posters.

—Adm. Nick

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Trust you're all recovered now Nick? Or was it something routine?

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I’m better, thanks Ben! Nothing super serious, I’m on the mend now. :)

—Adm. Nick

Nobody145, vncredleader and Jedi Ben like this.