main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo The Two Towers (not Star Wars, but bear with me)

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Dantana Skywalker, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I just have one thing to say about this movie, which I saw really late on Friday night.

Legolas.

Is.

A.

God.

And Gollum totally stole the show. If you guys haven't seen it yet, you must, must, must go see it.

Dana

2. LaurenFett

LaurenFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    I agree. The Two Towers is a MUST SEE. What's more, it's a lot to take in, so I'm going to see it again today, but it feels like I'm going to see it for the first time again. There's just so much of it packed into three hours, my brain hasn't fully processed it.

I think Legolas is a girly-man. The parts with Gollum were definitely my favorite, but ah! The Ents also take the cake. Gimli is great, hilarious...oh, they're all awesome! Go see it!

3. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm seeing it again today, too! Wow, what a coincidence!

Gimli and Legolas were priceless.

Gimli: "That makes two!" (or whatever he said)
    Legolas: "I'm up to 17! 19! 20!"

Dana

4. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    I saw it for the 3rd time today. (I'm a bit of a LOTR/Tolkien fan)

I thoroughly enjoyed it of course.

I am going to rent a projector or something for ROTK (third and final movie) when I get back from my mission.

5. Hail_Jaina

Hail_Jaina Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I agree that the two towers was an awesome movie. Legolas wasn't neccisarily a girly man, he was just graceful like an elf should be.

6. Jedi_Jase

Jedi_Jase Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2002
    There isn' enough time in the world for me to check all of these threads and respond. I havent been here for at least two months! My comp is still kaput but at least Ihave the library! (sigh) I havent seen it yet, but I hope to soon. I had two offers yesterday, but,alas, I was sick.

7. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    It was cool. I saw it at midnight, then again last friday. I'm going again tomorrow to use up my free ticket.

It's got some pretty awesome stuff.

8. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    Here's my vote for the two most out of place scenes:

#2: Frodo in the water in the dead marshes

#1: The sci-fi starry transition between gandalf the grey and gandalf the white.

9. LaurenFett

Mar 12, 2002
    I would have to agree with you Andakin. Add one more scene in there: the part where Aragorn temporarily dies. For one thing, it's not in the book. For another, it's completely unnecessary (we already know Aragorn and Arwen love each other, why push it into obsession?). And last, that makes the total we-think-they're-dead-but-they're-really-not count up to three, granted they put the third one in the next movie (which they must, since it's an important part of the trilogy). I think three is really ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, the movie overall was very impressive. I just wish they wouldn't have messed with Tolkien's Aragorn so much. They pull his character in so many different directions, when in the book he was a very solid, reliable individual.

10. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    And the fact that they put that in, the whole Aragorn thing, when they could have used that time doing other stuff, like having Gimli defending Galadriel's honour, or something. :D Jeez! Hollywood these days . . .

Dana

11. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    I didn't quite get the idea that he was supposed to be dead myself, but I understand that the characters did, and I moderately agree. Though I respect that Jackson wanted to make the love story more developed, a lot of that could have been saved for the extended edition.

12. LaurenFett

Mar 12, 2002
    Right on, Andakin!

I don't know if you guys have noticed this, but in a lot of the Two Towers posters and such, that include all the characters, Sam Gamgee is often one of the "minor" characters (they have large heads of Frodo, Aragorn, Legolas, Eowyn, etc., but only small side pictures of Gimli, Merry and Pippin, Gollum, on the same poster). This annoys me to no end. I got the impression in the books, particularly in the last one, that Sam is a major character. In all reality, Frodo would have completely failed his task had he not had Sam with him. Sam is the real hero of The Return of the King. So why is he not properly represented in the LOTR propaganda??

13. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    'Cause he isn't fabulously good-looking. It's simple as that.

Dana

14. LakSivrak

LakSivrak Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    if you havent read the book this is a spoiler.

sam gamgee is a ring bearer! he should be given a big head too. there were only three ring bearers in the books, bilbo got his own book, and frodo gets three! sam should at least get a big head in the movie picture. . .

15. Boraccio

Boraccio Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2001
    You might enjoy this (speaking of LOTR and Star Wars)
    http://www.bbspot.com/News/2003/01/jaromir.html

16. Tori_Dakk

Tori_Dakk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2002
    ok Lauren, what's the second, their dead but they aren't really dead? I must have must that... actually you could name all of them until the 3rd movie? I know Gandalf is one.

and um... Gollum is my new favorite ceature. He makes me giggle in ways I didn't know possible.

And I... um think the reasoning for not making Sam and Grimli not big on the poster is simple. They are not new characters introduced or looked at as the "favorite" characters as compared to Legolas or Strider! Cmon! Doesn't anyone think Strider is hot besides me????

Oh oh! yeah Legolas is more of a girly man, but not that girly since he is an elf. Where as Strider is this rough rider and totally got this bad boy/good boy thing going. :)

17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I totally prefer the "girly" guy to the one who's constantly dripping. When they're on Caradhras, or however it's spelled, everyone else is frozen and sporting icicles, AND ARAGORN'S DRIPPING!

Dana

18. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    This is officially my 2000th post. Just thought I'd let you know. You guys dragged me to the boards, so technically, you're responsible for my lack of life.

:D ;)

Does anyone here know LOTR fans that aren't really SW fans? I'm thinking about a LOTR version of FanForce.

Dana

19. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    I do... but they're girls and thus, I'd feel too geeky spreading the word. Sorry. ;P

20. LaurenFett

Mar 12, 2002
    I don't think the popularity of characters should be based on their hotness. Eeeew. And I can't read that spoiler, LakSivrak, I don't know if anyone else can.

The poster in my room has Frodo, Arwen, Aragorn, and Legolas as the biggest heads. It's very disappointing, especially since I don't recall Arwen even having any freaking lines in the entire three books.

Sam is the hero, he's my favorite, regardless of whatever hotness factor you silly girls are inserting into the movie. It's a good, solid fantasy novel, and shouldn't be tossed about as if it were a chick flick.

Eeeew eeew eeew. I feel incredibly dirty after reading these posts. I need to go read some high quality books.

21. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    "....Anyway, Eowyn is sooo much hotter than Arwen!"

22. LakSivrak

LakSivrak Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    i was never really attreacted to liv tyler anyways. she has a big face.

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Sorry, Aragorn/Eowyn shippers. Finished ROTK last night and . . .

Well, I'm not telling if you haven't read the books. All I can say is, I thought the Eowyn thing was hilarious.

Dana

24. LaurenFett

Mar 12, 2002
    I think Eowyn is funny in the books in general. The whole time it's like a little girl whining and belly aching that her big brothers won't let her play, and then when they finally DO let her play...well, I can't say anymore. DANG IT! WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE GO READ THE BOOK SO I CAN SAY WHAT I WANNA SAY?!

25. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    I finished the book a couple weeks ago. In my opinion, it is faaar better than the other two books combined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.