main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Two Towers Review

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by GrnJalera, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    GO! NOW!! SEE IT!! MAKE WITH THE DRIVING AND THE BUYING OF TICKETS!!

What are you waiting for? Didn't you see what I wrote? Are you still here reading?!

GO!!

2. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I have to wait a few days until finals are over... I'm swamped worse than Dagobah. :_| If you can see the time stamp on it... you'll realize I'm posting this at 5:00 AM before I go to bed, then proceed to wake back up in 4 hours at 9:00 AM. Ah, the joys of college...

3. jangoboy71

jangoboy71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2002
    all i need is someone to drive me to the theatre

4. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    SPOLIERS AHEAD, BE WARNED.....

I think it's good, just not great.

The good: The effects are great. Most of Gollum's close-up looks so good words cannot describe them. Same for Treebeard, his fellow ents and the wargs. The battle of Helm's Deep is also a visual masterpiece.

The acting is also great and Jackson finally got the contest of how many enemy are killed by Gimli and Legolas in the movie.

The bad: The effects suck. Most of Gollum's medium and long shots look so fake words cannot describe them. Double that for the wargs (the ents still look good). Also the backgrounds on the scenes where Treebeard carries Merry and Pip are horribly done.

Comic relief. That seems to be the role relegated to Gimli and it was sorely out of place in an otherwise serious movie.

Men. The race of Men was so much of an afterthought in the first movie that when the focus shifts to them in this one, it felt, to me, like all the charatcers and creatures in FOTR were thrown into a Viking movie. I also really never cared about the Men in the movie so their whole plot was kind of boring to me.

It's a bird, it's a plane.... During the battle of Helm's Deep Aragorn and Gimli defend the bridge into the Deep against what looks like a thousand Uruk-hai. And they do so easily. It seems like once and orc or Uruk-hai is touched it dies, even if you just clash swords. This was also true in FOTR, but it's more jarring when it's thousands of enemy, not hundreds.

Arwen. Her appearences seemed to me like nothing more then a reminder that she was still in the picture. Both literally and figuratively. I didn't read the appendicies to the books so I don't know what happens with her and Aragorn, but her appearences in Two Towers just screamed "don't forget about her."

5. skyedancer

skyedancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2002
    Actually, Arwen is not even in the book "The Two Towers" so she probably was included for later developments. Once again, I wish my niece lived around here because she was lamenting over the weekend that none of her friends were interested in seeing it! Once again, strange but true!

6. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm not going to see it. I'll wait untill all three are out on DVD.

7. skyedancer

Sep 26, 2002
    Darth-Zod, Are you teasing us? This is the same comment I've heard about the SW prequels from a lot of people who aren't exactly SW fanatics like some of us.

8. GrnJalera

Feb 3, 2001
    Comic relief. That seems to be the role relegated to Gimli and it was sorely out of place in an otherwise serious movie.

I thought the same thing until I talked to my wife about it. She has read the books and said that Gimli was portrayed exactly as he's written.

9. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    I only read the books once, and that was two years ago, I didn't remember that. I would go back and read the books again, to see how different the movies are but, to be honest, they bored me.

10. GrnJalera

Feb 3, 2001
    I'm not going to see it. I'll wait untill all three are out on DVD.

That's your choice, but you are going to kick yourself later when you realized you could have seen these epic movies on the big screen. Your loss, man.

11. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    Yes I?m serious. I never heard of these books before FotR was released last year. So going into the movie without a clue of what to expect, I easily lost my mind trying to understand the strange character names, species, lands, and the relationships between them all. So I figure why bother with this next movie. I am going to wait until I can see the whole story from beginning to end. Hopefully then it will make some sense.

12. GrnJalera

Feb 3, 2001
    I never heard of these books before FotR was released last year.

D'WHAT?! That I honestly and seriously cannot believe or accept.

So all the names and places in Star Wars is fine, but a couple of odd names in Middle Earth throws you off? It's not that hard to figure out who is who and where they're from.

I'm not going to argue with you on this or pursue it further. But as I said, you are missing out on something truely special and you will only have yourself to blame in years to come.

13. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I, for one, hope to see TTT as soon as I can, like preferably after this tough week of finals. I liked the FOTR, but I would have to accuse it of TPM-syndrome... an awesome introductory movie, yet I sense that TTT is going to blow it out of the water, and really get to the meat of the story, much like I thought AOTC did to TPM. I had to read The Hobbit for summer reading during high school, and found it pretty boring at the time. This is only a prequel, and didn't really spoil anything from FOTR for me, but actually made it easier to understand how Bilbo got the ring from Gollum. Because I found The Hobbit so boring, I chose not to read the LOTR books. So when I go to see the movies, they will all be unfamiliar to me, and I will be surprised. I am really looking forward to TTT, and I'm sure ROTK will be good too. I just ask that people who have seen it continue to denote spoilers and not talk about it at the meeting so that I can have a chance to see it and be surprised by it. By the way, LEGOLAS ROCKS!!!

14. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    I read LotR in high school. The Hobbit was required. LotR was extra credit. And I NEEDED the extra credit. They confused me and I had a real hard time following the story and charactors. But it all came together by the end and I loved them.

Grn where did you and Douz go? Valley View?

15. jangoboy71

May 14, 2002
    i liked the books better than the movies but maybe i'm just strange

16. skyedancer

Sep 26, 2002
    Jangoboy, I don't think you're strange. After all, you are our favorite bartender. I enjoyed both the books and FOTR and can't wait to see TTT. Even though I had read the books, I didn't feel that my experience of FOTR was spoiled. It was wonderful to see it all on the big screen.

17. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Just got back from seeing The Two Towers (sorry Emily) and I have a few comments:

Gollum - Nice to see a CG character play such a significant role in a major film, but I felt may of the negative reactions to Gollum as many people have to Jar Jar Binks in TPM...too much emphasis placed on him.

Battle of Helm's Deep - that could possibly be one of the greatest battles of all time! I was afraid the CG shots would make me dizzy (as they did on FOTR) but when people ask "why do you need CGI for large battle scenes"...i will show them that scene.

I've heard some complaints about the amount of comic relief Gimli has in TT, personally, I enjoyed most of the humor (especially the building relationship with Legolas) and thought it showed a growing sense of "fellowship" amongthe characters. My favorite would be the body count contest between Legolas and Gimli (come on, you know we'd all be doing that)

18. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

I want to go see it. I know a lot of thing from it because of the web but I NEED to see it. I only wish it was more like the book with Borimir and Arwen and every thing else.

19. jangoboy71

May 14, 2002
    i also happen to be the only bartender around here

20. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I second Grn's first post in this thread... if you haven't seen this movie yet... go do it now! I finally got the opportunity to... and I've been waiting all year for this movie, and I only had the FOTR EE DVD a few days to keep me content before seeing it. Wow was I amazed. I don't want to repeat everything everybody else has already said because I agree with Grn's and Krash's reviews... but wow. Probably one of the best if not the best onscreen battles was the Battle of Helm's Deep...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.