main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx The Two Towers! WOOOFFFFF

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by ChoadsGirl, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    Ok so I must yet again endure another day that is Two Towers-less...turns out we can't go till tomorrow, but the good news: BABYSITTER...one that's keeping her overnight!

PARTY!

2. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

MJ_Keehan_Sundve Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    Okay, saw it last night.

One word.

AMAZING!!

Two words:

TOTALLY RAD!!

Five words:

I WANT TO BE LEGALOS!!

What did you think?

:confused:

3. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    I could see you being an elf,MJ.

4. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

Nov 12, 2002
    Whoa! New costume idea!! Thanks, Choad!! :D

Note to self:

Self- Look into elvish costumes...

5. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    i enjoyed it completely!

BUT!

i did have a small problem with where the movie ended. i know why it was done that way, but still, i was waiting for the shelob, it's a very important part, and a great ending to the book, so its gonna be wierd to see the beginning of the 3rd movie starts with the end of the second book.
    and i thought some of the special effects *could* have been a little better in like two scenes. Lucas is GOD where CG is concerned, Jackson is more concerned with telling the story.
    the whole helms deep scene. perfect.
    the only couple scenes that were wierd were where sam fell of the rock in front of the black gate, (it looked a little hokey) and the ents (especially when they walked!) you could tell where the animatronics ended and the CG began. they should have been completely (or just about) CG. it didn't blend perfectly. (so i'm a perfectionist! :p)

but i did thoroughly enjoy it, and it was made 100 times better by watching it with you guys!

6. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I had already heard that shelob wasn't going to appear in this one, so I was prepared for that. I think it really helps for people who haven't read the books; including shelob would mean that this movie would have ended on a really low note. As the ending for FotR was depressing enough, I think the more upbeat ending of this one works. It's kind of the opposite of the OT of Star Wars. A depressing and dark first movie, and a more optomistic second one. I think also this will give Sam and Frodo and the quest to destroy the ring a little more screen time. The book of RotK only has three chapters of Frodo and Sam journeying through Mordor.

7. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    that was my reasoning. i figured to keep all three movies an equal length, he added more to ROTK, because, as you said, the 3rd book is a little shorter than the rest, and its almost all about the battle at minas tirth...

8. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Call me a sap, but I liked the scenes between Aragorn and Arwen. And the scene where she's standing like a ghost at his grave was amazing.

And Wormtongue's reaction to seeing Saruman's army was great. I mean, an army like that just has to bring a tear to your eye. :D

"... I was suggesting to Peter yesterday he should insert some love interest for Gandalf in a later one. He suggested Galadriel... I said, no, I was thinking more of someone like Legolas..."
    - Ian McKellen

[face_laugh]

9. -Master-

-Master- Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2002
    The movie brought a tear to my eyes.

10. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    I TOTALLY agree with you IA I was absolutely blown away by this movie!

The scenes with Arwen and Aragorn were absolutely fantastic...I was bawling like a baby!

And the scene when Wormtongue cried at seeing his Master's army struck me so hard.

I loved the scene with Gandalf leaping into the fray on that white stallion...I actally gasped outloud.

Gimly (sp?) was hysterical and if I could love Legolas and Aragorn anymore I'd be surprised...

Ok..I'll stop there though I could go on and on and on about this movie.

I was completely stunned, awed, moved, enthralled by this movie and it will be a sad day indeed if it doesn't receive a Best Picture nomination.

Gasp, gasp....

I'm gonna go see this again VERY soon. I've not been moved by a movie like that in a long time.

11. Phoenyx

Phoenyx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    I am as some would say, a serious Tolkien fan. I have read everything he ever wrote reguarding middle earth, and a few things his son claimed he wrote but didn't. They were actually penned by Chris himself. My one bitter complaint about the movies thusfar, stem from the sword Narsil sitting in Rivendell. Aragorn caried these, and when they reached Rivendell the elven smiths reforged that sword. And when they Left he pulled forth his newly reforged blade, ans renamed it Anduril, the Flame of the west. This was a fiarly major event, and I am wondering how they are going to explain it when his normal average longsword damages things it shouldn't be able to.... but this is just my opnion and I wanted to shoot it out.

12. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

Nov 12, 2002
    I saw it again Saturday night...

[face_plain]

I STILL WANT TO BE LEGALOS!!

:D

13. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    Loved, loved, loved it! [face_love] [face_love]

I wanna see it again! Twice in one day was not enough. :)

I love that the (wonderful, amazing, etc.) special efects don't overwhelm the characters. Helm's Deep, especially, kicks much butt, but my favorite moments are the smaller ones, like when Aragorn hugs(!) Haldir and when Gimli and Legolas see Aragorn when he gets to Helms Deep. Gollum (absolutely amazing CG) is such a sad character, but he really, really creeps me out. :D

I could go on and on, but I will just bide my time until I can see it again. :D

"I like the shiny armor on the pretty elves." :D

14. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    Yeah where can I get me some of that shiny armor? Haldir looked like a Roman general. Too bad he had to die. Hey, was that in the book?

15. ChoadsGirl

ChoadsGirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    I'm willing to guess that the armor was made of plastic.

16. Kirana_T

May 28, 2002
    Plastic armor? Heaven forbid! [face_plain] Not in this movie.

I am certain that it was metal. Everything else was so authentic, I doubt they would have skimped on the elf armor. :)

17. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    I agree with Kirana. We don't need no stinking plastic! :D

I can't wait to go see it again this week.

And who wouldn't want to be an elf? They're my favorites!

Ok one question has been bugging me though and I'm sure someone has a logical explanation.

If the elves are immortal, as told by Galadriel in the opening of The Fellowship of the Ring, how can they be killed? I thought immortality meant that you would live forever because you could not be killed. You would not suffer a mortal death.

Did Haldir do something similar to Arwen, did he choose a mortal life?

Someone please esplain.

18. Kirana_T

May 28, 2002
    On one of the "making of" things, I heard someone say that elves can be killed in battle, or die of a broken heart. (If that is the case, might Arwen die from not being with Aragorn?) I also remember a quote about "those that should not have died, fell in battle" (paraphrase, I don't remember exactly, but I am hearing Galadriel's voice say it.)

My nagging question: Why are Legolas' eyes blue sometimes, and sometimes brown? I absolutely refuse to believe that sometimes he just forgot his blue contacts. :p The attention to detail is just too good in these movies for that to be the case. I read these a very, very long time ago (when I was about 12), and am intentionally not rereading before seeing the movies. I did recently read FOTR again, and I don't remember anything about elves' eyes changing color.

19. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    Hmm. Maybe they just messed up like not having Glamdring glow like Sting when orks are near. The Elves can be killed they just won't die from disease, weather, or old age. So as long as they stay out of harms way, and don't get their feelings hurt too bad they can live forever. Also, remember that the time of the elves is over they are leaving Middle Earth and if the One Ring is destroyed then the power of the other rings fail. All together the Elves are leaving for Valinor to live forever, but only they (and the Valar) will live forever. Anyone hitching a ride will eventually die.

Tolkein is a little complex I must say.

20. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Elves do have an immortal life span, but they cal still be killed the same ways we can. The part that confused me was, in FOTR Arwen says that she would give up an immortal life to be with Aragorn, but in TTT, they go through the whole scene where Aragorn dies and she goes on living. What's the deal? I take it Arwen would choose to live a mortal life if she could.

I know quite a bit of the armor for the LOTR series was actually forged and cast out of metal, especially the main characters' armor, but most of the extras and stuntmen, for the sake of cost and wearability, have plastic or fiberglass armor. I would imagine that Haldir's is metal and the other elves' are fiberglass?

21. -Master-

-Master- Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2002
    If not Equilibrium tonight I will go see Two Towers again.

22. Duguay

Nov 30, 2002
    Elves can be killed in battle. If they are not killed by someone, they will go on living forever. And I think I read somewhere that elves that are killed are reincarnated. Glorfindel from the book lived during an earlier age, and appears in the Silmarillion, I believe. When the question of if the Glorfindel from LotR is the same as the one in Silmarillion, Tolkien said that it was the same Glorfindel reborn. There is some vague suggestion that Arwen is a reincarnation of Luthien, the original Elf maiden who chose mortality, and maybe this is why Arwen chooses the same way. OTOH it is suggested that Arwen is the reincarnation of Luthien's appearance only. I know that's a lot of speculation, but I am positive I've read all this somewhere.

23. Phoenyx

Phoenyx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    Leave it to the Lore master to correct things..... which is me. Not all the rings will lose their power. Sauron, made 17 of the rings. Feanor made the other three. The rings for the elven kings. They will still remain and have all their uncorupted power. Galadriel has one, Elrond has one, and Gandalf wears the third. It is from their creation by his master, that Sauron got the idea of teh rings. At that point a Balorr who are the spirits of the fallen Valar, named Morgor or something like that possesed Sauron, which is why we have all the trouble we do now. The link that proves this will be shown in the third part, but I doubt they will expliagn it's origin. Morgor had a massive mace that he called Grond. You might remember it from teh opening battle in FOTR. In the third movie, they have turned it into a giant battering ram... Which teh use on the toughest nut out there, Minas Tirith. When the Talk about Glorfindol Being reborn, it's not that he died, and was then born again. By reborn he meant that Glorfindol had come back to middle earth. He was truly a baddass. But here some things you do nto know. Elrond, is only half elven. His other parentage is Numenor. Arwen is his child and is three quarters elven. Her mother is... Galadriel. Elves are indeed immortal, until slain. If any one has any other questions, let me know. I can answer most if not all from memory, and I can get the answers to the rest. Happy chirstmas.

24. Duguay

Nov 30, 2002
    I knew that Elrond is half-elven, and he made his choice, favoring immortal life. Elros, his brother, decided for a mortal life, and was the first king of Numenor, and Aragorn is a descendent of Elros. Which makes Aragorn and Arwen...very distantly related. Troubling, isn't it?

25. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    i knew something was wrong about them getting together! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.