Senate The U.S. Politics thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    You're archaic and should be changed. :p

Anyway, there have been Schwarzenegger rumors for years. It's never come to pass, and given the ruins his governorship turned out to be, I wouldn't think much of it.

edit: I swear I edited this post like 50 times to spell his bloody name properly...
    Last edited by GrandAdmiralJello, Oct 19, 2013
  2. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
    That's why most of the time I just put 'Ahunold' or the 'Governator'. :p

And given that there's a certain minority in the GOP that still believes Obama is a secret foriegn born muslim (and unfortunately, some of them hold high offices in federal and state government), I doubt that part of the constitution gets changed anytime in the forseeable future.
  3. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Interesting headlines. Freedomworks leader says the GOP could split. Limbaugh and Bech heavily support Cruz. All kinds of items about the Republican party being rent in half because one portion is ridiculous and the rest did not follow them down into an economic abyss. So, that is a great thing, because those voters will be split. The goverment members themselves will be split. This might not come down to Democract vs GOP, this will be Dems vs GOP vs Tea Party with the 47% that vote to the right being divided up between GOP and TP.
  4. anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of CT, SW Saga and Lucasfilm Ltd

Manager
    star 8
    @Juliet316 : the birthers just use that as an excuse, and if someone born on foreign soil ran for President and they liked him, they'd change their tones so quickly that the "but but but but but"s would give the rest of us a headache.

@VadersLaMent : that is great news. I don't know that the Tea Party could maintain their level of power if they can no longer hold the proverbial gun to the moderates' heads.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Or she's just another nutcase hiding in plain sight due to a society that only cares about physical appearance.
  6. dp4m Chosen One

star 10
    Under no circumstances should the Constitutional requirement of Presidential eligibility be changed.
  7. Alpha-Red Jedi Master

star 5
    Let's see if the Birthers oppose this with the same fanaticism as they did Obama's supposed overseas birth.
    Last edited by Alpha-Red, Oct 19, 2013
    Juliet316 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  8. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    It was a dumb requirement even in 1787 (for more things that were dumb from the start, see amendments 2 and 3). Being a naturalized citizen and having lived in the country for 14 years (realistically such a person wouldn't be voted in anyway) should be enough.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
  10. Rogue_Ten Force Ghost

star 7
  11. Blithe Jedi Master

star 4

Guy, you're going to have to tell me what I missing here on the 3rd amendment because I generally like the idea of not having soldiers quartered in my house without my permission.
  12. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    It was irrelevant from the moment the U.S. won its independence, there's no case law, and it was never enforced the few times it could have been relevant (the Civil War). Compared to most of the Constitution which is about the basic functions, requirements, and limitations of the government, the Third Amendment was addressing a silly, fairly minor contemporary issue that people had with their former mother country. The Framers were prescient indeed.
    Last edited by Darth Guy, Oct 19, 2013
  13. Blithe Jedi Master

star 4
    I could be wrong, but I believe it has been cited in Supreme Court cases concerning the right to privacy. And because it was never enforced properly doesn't necessarily mean the amendment itself is dumb. :p When you say it was silly are you referring to your previous statement that the issue was irrelevant after independence or that it was silly even under British rule?
    Last edited by Blithe, Oct 19, 2013
  14. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Yes, it's been cited as part of the right to privacy the SC "inferred" (justifiably made up), but I'd say the Fourth and the Ninth are far more relevant for that. It's silly in that it was a minor point of contention. Compare it to the grand, sweeping First Amendment that we hold so dear and it looks like it was passed by a bored Congress who wanted a nice, round number of amendments.

Also, I had forgotten the exact text leaves a massive loophole that makes the "spirit" of it unenforceable anyway.
  15. Blithe Jedi Master

star 4
    Eh. . . that loophole is only applicable in times of war anyway. The 4th and 9th amendments are more relevant and powerful in regards to privacy, although I would hesitate to say that the SC simply made it up. It doesn't require a particularly flexible interpretation of the 9th amendment to see it as already being assumed from the beginning.
  16. Jabba-wocky Force Ghost

star 8
    When else would someone be seriously tempted to use it except in times of war? Especially considering that a standing army of any real size wasn't even an accepted concept until around the time of the World Wars. By your own logic, you're trying to defend something that was unnecessary except for when a loophole made it irrelevant.
  17. Blithe Jedi Master

star 4
    It was likely an unnecessary safeguard but is there any harm in being a little extra careful? :p But fair point regardless, Wocky.
    Last edited by Blithe, Oct 19, 2013
  18. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    So wait, is my right to sodomy inferred or not? I am confused.

I used my phone. Beware.pf.typos.
  19. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    It's precisely as inferred as your right to go to a Catholic school. Make of that what you will.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Jedi Merkurian ST Thread Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    Mitt Romney was born in Mexico.
  21. heels1785 JCC/PT/New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Haha, no he was not. George Romney was.
  22. Rogue_Ten Force Ghost

star 7
  23. heels1785 JCC/PT/New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    ABC had Pelosi, Cruz, and Jeb Bush today. Really impressive lineup, and two fairly rare appearances.

Pelosi was excellent- she is a far better leader than either Boehner or Reid, I think. Eloquent and measured in her message, but clear on where she stands.

Jeb Bush also great- he's too moderate for the current climate, but he is and always has been a champion of education, and I appreciate that. Far too much common sense for the GOP, though, he'd be run out as a RINO- I hope he sits out until the party comes back to Earth.

Ted Cruz was partisan and as aloof as ever. Funny that his message is always about listening to this "American people," yet he is unable to listen to and/or process their polls that should tell him that he is almost universally despised.
    Valairy Scot likes this.
  24. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Jeb Bush would get the nomination for sure were he not named Bush.

I used my phone. Beware.pf.typos.
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky Force Ghost

star 8
    Jeb Bush would also have no chance of being considered for the nomination were he not named Bush.