main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You're archaic and should be changed. :p

Anyway, there have been Schwarzenegger rumors for years. It's never come to pass, and given the ruins his governorship turned out to be, I wouldn't think much of it.

edit: I swear I edited this post like 50 times to spell his bloody name properly...

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That's why most of the time I just put 'Ahunold' or the 'Governator'. :p

And given that there's a certain minority in the GOP that still believes Obama is a secret foriegn born muslim (and unfortunately, some of them hold high offices in federal and state government), I doubt that part of the constitution gets changed anytime in the forseeable future.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Interesting headlines. Freedomworks leader says the GOP could split. Limbaugh and Bech heavily support Cruz. All kinds of items about the Republican party being rent in half because one portion is ridiculous and the rest did not follow them down into an economic abyss. So, that is a great thing, because those voters will be split. The goverment members themselves will be split. This might not come down to Democract vs GOP, this will be Dems vs GOP vs Tea Party with the 47% that vote to the right being divided up between GOP and TP.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Juliet316 : the birthers just use that as an excuse, and if someone born on foreign soil ran for President and they liked him, they'd change their tones so quickly that the "but but but but but"s would give the rest of us a headache.

VadersLaMent : that is great news. I don't know that the Tea Party could maintain their level of power if they can no longer hold the proverbial gun to the moderates' heads.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Or she's just another nutcase hiding in plain sight due to a society that only cares about physical appearance.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Under no circumstances should the Constitutional requirement of Presidential eligibility be changed.

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Let's see if the Birthers oppose this with the same fanaticism as they did Obama's supposed overseas birth.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was a dumb requirement even in 1787 (for more things that were dumb from the start, see amendments 2 and 3). Being a naturalized citizen and having lived in the country for 14 years (realistically such a person wouldn't be voted in anyway) should be enough. ​

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i hate you

11. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003

Guy, you're going to have to tell me what I missing here on the 3rd amendment because I generally like the idea of not having soldiers quartered in my house without my permission.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It was irrelevant from the moment the U.S. won its independence, there's no case law, and it was never enforced the few times it could have been relevant (the Civil War). Compared to most of the Constitution which is about the basic functions, requirements, and limitations of the government, the Third Amendment was addressing a silly, fairly minor contemporary issue that people had with their former mother country. The Framers were prescient indeed.

13. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    I could be wrong, but I believe it has been cited in Supreme Court cases concerning the right to privacy. And because it was never enforced properly doesn't necessarily mean the amendment itself is dumb. :p When you say it was silly are you referring to your previous statement that the issue was irrelevant after independence or that it was silly even under British rule?

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, it's been cited as part of the right to privacy the SC "inferred" (justifiably made up), but I'd say the Fourth and the Ninth are far more relevant for that. It's silly in that it was a minor point of contention. Compare it to the grand, sweeping First Amendment that we hold so dear and it looks like it was passed by a bored Congress who wanted a nice, round number of amendments.

Also, I had forgotten the exact text leaves a massive loophole that makes the "spirit" of it unenforceable anyway.

15. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    Eh. . . that loophole is only applicable in times of war anyway. The 4th and 9th amendments are more relevant and powerful in regards to privacy, although I would hesitate to say that the SC simply made it up. It doesn't require a particularly flexible interpretation of the 9th amendment to see it as already being assumed from the beginning.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    When else would someone be seriously tempted to use it except in times of war? Especially considering that a standing army of any real size wasn't even an accepted concept until around the time of the World Wars. By your own logic, you're trying to defend something that was unnecessary except for when a loophole made it irrelevant.

17. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    It was likely an unnecessary safeguard but is there any harm in being a little extra careful? :p But fair point regardless, Wocky.

18. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    So wait, is my right to sodomy inferred or not? I am confused.

I used my phone. Beware.pf.typos.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's precisely as inferred as your right to go to a Catholic school. Make of that what you will.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Mitt Romney was born in Mexico.

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Haha, no he was not. George Romney was.

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    *jorge

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ABC had Pelosi, Cruz, and Jeb Bush today. Really impressive lineup, and two fairly rare appearances.

Pelosi was excellent- she is a far better leader than either Boehner or Reid, I think. Eloquent and measured in her message, but clear on where she stands.

Jeb Bush also great- he's too moderate for the current climate, but he is and always has been a champion of education, and I appreciate that. Far too much common sense for the GOP, though, he'd be run out as a RINO- I hope he sits out until the party comes back to Earth.

Ted Cruz was partisan and as aloof as ever. Funny that his message is always about listening to this "American people," yet he is unable to listen to and/or process their polls that should tell him that he is almost universally despised.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  24. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Jeb Bush would get the nomination for sure were he not named Bush.

I used my phone. Beware.pf.typos.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Jeb Bush would also have no chance of being considered for the nomination were he not named Bush.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.