main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i dont see what the big deal about copywriting her name is. seems like that could just as easily help prevent dudes from making lifetime movies about her -- "not without my moonshine, the jenny sanford story"

i miss the mark sanford days. those were good days. i remember instead of saying goodbye when i was leaving some place i'd tell people "im mark sanford" or, more explicitely, "im out like sanford" or "gonna hit the ol' appalachian trail"

im a ******* hoot at parties

heels1785 likes this.
  2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm really surprised that Fox is offering Kucinich a platform, but I have to give the network props for trying to live up to their "balanced" tagline on occasion.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    They probably figure that given some of his more whacky positions, that none of their audience will take him serious when he goes left - wing.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    They've probably hired him to use him as some sort of poster boy for left-wing wackiness.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Basically.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, FOX is probably going to use Kucinich to make the point of "see, isn't that crazy? look at how crazy all liberals and Democrats are!"

Don't know why Kucinich joined them, though.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    [​IMG]

veddy eenteresting. murders per 100,000 peeps. red states are red states, blue states are blue states, and yellow means "no death penalty here".

8. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    there's already a grun to the head of our economy. one bullet is quantitative easing and the other one is the unstoppable freight train that is government spending. the grun will go off and kill us, it is only a matter of when (economy resting upon big fat bubble of credit will crash). if i'm lucky, i will be dead and gone before it happens, but unfortunately, i do not think that is going to be the case.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah, Mark Sanford...because "getting some Argentinian tail" sounds a hell of a lot like "hiking the Appalachian Trail."

As far as the gun to the head of the economy...interesting that the Tea Party claims to be so damn concerned about it and are always screaming about how the sky is falling, but at the same time, they actually refuse to put defense spending on the table for cuts, and defense spending comprises one-third of our federal budget at my last check.

I'll believe they're concerned when they're willing to cut one of their pet programs instead of only attacking liberal Democrat programs.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If these people were really so serious about "spending" then you'd think we would've heard something from them on the issue during the Bush administration. But... we didn't. Nary a peep!

"Deficits don't matter" - Dick Cheney

11. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    indeed, the bush admin. were big-spending buffoons, and played a huge part in getting us to this point.

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

he's right

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Money, more than likely.

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You know we're making progress when we don't fingerpoint at "liberal Democrat programs" or "right wing Republican programs." (This is not directed at you, Anakinfan, but that it is true that so many believe on these lines.)

Despite what the GOP would like to believe, that every entitlement program that "rewards the lazy masses" I'm sure a fair amount of their supporters benefit as well. We all benefit from a strong military (again, not siding with the "defense should be immune from cuts" crowd).

If we could agree to agree that we're in this together, as Americans, and find some compromises - dang it, politics doesn't work without a certain degree of compromise.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There's a difference between a "strong military", meaning a military that pays its soldiers well enough to keep their families off food stamps as well as keeping them well supplied enough to defend us in case we are attacked (which has only happened once in the past 70 years, and that was 9/11/01).

The current GOP seems to think that "spreading democracy," i.e. sending soldiers to every country that doesn't govern itself as we do, equals a "strong military." It's not our job to solve the rest of the world's problems or rid the rest of the world of its dictatorships. We can't even solve our own problems, and the fact that our soldiers are being killed by car bombs because they are trying to protect other countries' citizens from their dictators, pisses me off.

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, Anakinfan, you know me - I mean "strong" as in just what is necessary and enough to protect ourselves.

Disclaimer: my brother is (retired) AF (fighter pilot, no combat experience) otherwise I have no direct contact with military. However, with all the military around Puget Sound, we hear (accurate or not - ?) a lot about the military and its needs. What I used to :eek: at was the common refrain in the past about how the enlisted men just couldn't support their families of one wife and five kids and how military pay needed to be increased.

I've always said, as much as one can control such things, one tries to have the number of kids one can afford, not complain when one's occupation won't support such "larger than norm" families.

DIsclaimer #2: I am totally in favor of good health care, post-education, etc. for our military. They've earned it.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Agree with that completely, and not just for the military.

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    OF course; that was supposed to be a given.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    "i did it!"? lmao

at least roberts managed to not accidentally-on-purpose **** it up again

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I agree, with the caveat that the Democrats are every bit as guilty of feeding our "Defense" beast.

It's the elephant in the room, and no one, apart from leftists like Dennis Kucinich or genuine conservatives like Ron Paul, is willing to address it. So long as there are right-wingers seeking to plunder the world and liberals harboring misguided desires for "humanitarian" interventions, America will be bled dry.

22. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm chuckling at this tweet from my twitter feed:

Today we celebrate the only job the GOP managed to create in 4 years: Obama's 2nd Term. #p2

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My cousin's Facebook status update:

"So glad that inaugural poem was supremely awful per tradition. Namaste, America."

Obama's speech was really good though, and James Taylor represented North Carolina pretty well.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So I watched Fahrenheit 911 last night because I had never seen it before. Yes it is very one-sided (and even though I'm a liberal, I would say it is unfairly biased at times) but it is still a mostly well put-together documentary about the Bush Administration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.