main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Um, guys....It is already against federal law to hire illegal aliens, which probably accounts for the illegal part. It's covered under the section for "Unlawful Employment of Aliens" in Title 8:

It is illegal for any employer to hire, recruit or refer for a fee any alien not authorized to work in the United States. This includes hiring contractors who employ illegal immigrants. It is also illegal for any employer not to verify work authorization. An employer who does not correctly complete an I-9 for each employee three days after the employee is hired is also subject to criminal and civil punishment.

For first offenders, there is a $250-$2,000 fine per illegal employee. For a second offense, the fine is $2,000-$5,000 per illegal employee. For employers who have been convicted of hiring illegal immigrants more than twice, the fine can range from $3000-$10,000 per employee. If a company engages in a pattern of knowingly employing illegal immigrants, the owner or person in charge of hiring could face additional fines, and up to six months in jail. The Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations (RICO) act includes “harboring” illegal immigrants, or knowingly employing ten or more illegal immigrants in one year. Harboring an illegal immigrant can lead to ten years of prison time.

However, the employer is limited to "good faith" efforts to verify employment status, which is why there is such a market for stolen social security numbers, the penalties of which do fall squarely on the person using the fraudulent information.

As a bonus, under the RICO penalities, the reporting person should get a percentage of the fines. So if someone here knows of a company that is hiring lots of undocumented workers, call ICE or the IRS, and you should get 10-15% of the total fines.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    exactly what we need. A live-in undocumented nanny should get you hauled in under RICO. What we need is police sweeps of all the co-ops in Manhattan. Start there. Then work your way through the Chicago Gold Coast, then LA, San Francisco and Dallas Ft. Worth.

3. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Well, of course you'd have to scope out the establishments first. Getting someone busted for having an illegal nanny would probably only net $25 in profit, which is barely enough to go out to lunch after calling in the tip. Now, if you find a place with 10-12 illegals, that could probably net thousands of dollars, which is worth it.

There could be an entire underground economy for turning in illegals.

4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Not only that, but the House GOP voted last year to do exactly the same thing.

If this isn't an election-year show, then I don't know what is.

Peace,

V-03

5. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    To be fair, you have before when FIDo questioned the pictures I had posted.

6. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    V, you and KW are so funny in this regard. Hey, look here:

House Resolution 1258 June 10th, 2008. Sponsor: Dennis Kucinich Representative for Ohio's 10th congressional district. Impeaching George W. Bush, President of the United States. of High Crimes and Misdemeanors. Link is right https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hres1258]HERE[/url]

Now, help me remember, but what event was also happening in 2008? I'd like to say there was some sort of election going on? You two must have the shortest memory of any people here, but it's so funny to watch you two act like such actions are limited to one party over the other. Also:

-On June 16, 2005 Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) assembled an unofficial meeting among democratic party leaders to consider grounds for impeachment against the President. (although this was never officially voted on)

-Based on rumors of impending action, in November 2007, Joe Biden, then a US Senator, stated that he would "move to impeach if President Bush were to bomb Iran without first gaining congressional approval." However, no such bombing occurred when Bush was President. Help me out here again. Does Biden currently hold a different position in government? And did the current President ever bomb a country without first gaining congressional approval?

- 2008 Rep. Robert Wexler (D-FL) signed articles of impeachment against President Bush. Interestingly, here are his exact words, and the exact http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/broward/blog/2008/06/impeach_bush_wexler_says.html]LINK[/url]

"A decision by Congress to pursue impeachment is not an option, it is a sworn duty. It is time for Congress to stand up and defend the Constitution against the blatant violations and illegalities of this Administration. Our Founding Fathers bestowed upon Congress the power of impeachment, and it is now time that we use it to defend the rule of law from this corrupt Administration." <---again, to review, this is a quote from a democratic party representative. Why it seems downright "Tea Partish" doesn't it?

If you guy's sole point is simply try and characterize what you view as the "other side" in difference to the facts, have at it. I still think it's because the current President is in the crapper so much that I think your desperation is showing. But this behavior isn't new, and it isn't even outside of the norm when it comes to Congressional behavior when the roles were reversed. But I know, I know. If you don't understand by now. You never will.....

J-Rod likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I wish both sides, when they get control of Congress and have a President in the opposing party, would stop screaming TO THE BASTILLE!!! threatening to impeach.

It's stupid, it's childish, and it shrieks hysteria. It's the "It's his fault! He started it! MOM!!! TEACHER!!!" argument on steroids.

Nobody broke into party headquarters during an election. Nobody lied under oath. Preemptive war is immoral as hell but it's unfortunately not illegal. Passing health care reform is not illegal.

The definition of "unconstitutional" and "illegal" has not been changed to "whatever legislation the party in control of Congress does not like."

And as an American citizen, I wish everyone in Congress, in both political parties, would behave at least as maturely as my 9-year-old behaves. That should not be too much to ask. And I wish they would stop wasting my ****ing time and the tax money that is used to pay their salary.

And just in case any of you think I'm being partisan...the health care debates in Nancy Pelosi's House made me scream at my TV worse than any sporting match or the Mortis arc of TCW. What the hell did I watch, a play group session among sleep-deprived kindergartners hyped up on high fructose corn syrup and red-dye #40? Use your grown-up words or SHUT. THE. ****. UP.

8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

i also have no idea what you're talking about. i mean, i assume there are undocumented workers working, (that's what they're here to do, after all, not vote), but i simply dont see them "clogging street corners" like vermin or whatever it is you imagine you're seeing. like others, i dont think it matters all that much. the fact is that they are working jobs and nobody disputes that

Jabbadabbado this is a fine point. people who hire people without checking their immigration status are rarely, if ever, doing it for political reasons. they're doing it because they want to save some money by taking advantage of someone who is unable to seek protection from labor laws. if you really want to stem the supply, cut out the demand, eh?

9. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    So don't complain when I post pictures.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i dont think i have? i certainly dont remember any pictures. in any case, i spent 8 months living by val vista and the 60, (with an undocumented immigrant for a housemate, no less!), so you'd think id have seen what you were talking about if it were that common, wouldnt you?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Can someone explain how pictures of brown people on street corners looking for work would be relevant to this discussion or score debate points?

Valairy Scot and Rogue_Ten like this.
  12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    All brown people on street corners are undocumented immigrants.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

[face_rofl] Yeah, you know. Of course we're doing some generalization. There are catholics, Jewish folks, and we do have a sizable hispanic and Somoan community. But even the Pac. Islanders are mostly LDS. So yeah, pretty much Mormonville.

"Golly gee" "Shucks" and "You betcha" flow off the tongue like water.

14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i thought the whole reason the pacific islanders were there was because there are so many pacific islander converts?

fun fact i recently became aware of: SLC is the epicentre of tongan gang activity

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    tongang activity

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Gangnam Activity.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm always puzzled by how much people care about illegal status. I see like a 1,000+ people every day in New York. Some of them are probably here illegally, but I don't go around going "those godamn illegals" every time I see somebody doing physical labor.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Racism and xenophobia are indeed puzzling.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Processing H-1B and J-1 visas is my job. I have zero animosity towards anyone who comes into this country illegally, and felt so after my first day. Were I in their position, I likely would do the same.

The decrepit policies and federal institutions (DHS, Labor, State) who are responsible for approving visas are administratively bloated, which makes the process absurdly expensive and unacceptably slow.

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

at the risk of getting a bit astract, the "illegal immigrant" issue is pretty interesting from an anthropological perspective when you think about the fact that its really the only official "status crime" in the united states. by which i mean the crime is not in an act you've committed, but in the status conferred. the crime lies not in crossing the border illegally, but in the undocumented status. otherwise, why would adults who crossed the border with their parents decades prior be considered "illegals"? not even pedophiles can be detained simply because of their status as pedophiles (officially, tho california certainly tries to keep them locked up indefinitely after their sentences have ended), and they certainly cant be arrested for it unless they've committed a crime. its pretty bladerunner-y when you think about it

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's not even a crime-- at least not a federal crime (don't remember the status of state and local attempts to criminalize it). It's not a misdemeanor or a felony. It carries no criminal penalties. Technically the worst that can happen to an undocumented (really a better term since that's their only "crime") immigrant is that he gets deported back to his country of origin. It's like saying playing music too loud at a party is a crime.

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah i shouldnt have said "official" :p

23. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Yeah, but you're not accurately describing the penalty either. Being in the country illegally isn't a criminal offense, so there is no "status crime" per se. It's a civil offense, for which deportation is the penalty. Sure, the lines may get blurred depending on the circumstance. (you'll be held in a secure detention facility until processed for deportation which may seem like a prison) or other crimes may have been committed along with the civil status. (Forging work documents or caught driving without a driver's license, etc...are criminal offenses.) But immigration violation alone is not really how you're characterizing it.

All countries have similar penalties for crossing/entering their borders without permission.

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

i didnt mean to imply that they dont. saying "in the united states" was meant to exclude other countries that still have other status crimes, like being gay

this article provides a good overview of the "status" model of looking at immigration and crime

25. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Gotcha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.