main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    For everyone? Yes, you've imagined that. I don't hold distain for all public employees.

Well it's true. From the hills of Tennesee to the projects of Chicago. There are many examples generations of people on the dole.

And this healthcare law certainly goes to making the services available to the unemployed similar to that of the employed. So my question still stands.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I guess she assumed you feel disdain for all public employees because you feel disdain for your own wife for being a public employee.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like that link you posted with reliable statistics that back up your point.

He also accused me of not earning money earlier in this discussion (after I mentioned having a government job) but yes, his disdain for his wife and his falling in love with her despite her working for the state, gave me that assumption.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, let's see...

No, it doesn't matter.

5. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
  6. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Why doesn't it matter? And don't forget to answer my question: What is the better option to getting a good job and working the hell out of it?

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The jobs are gone. In case you live in a bubble and are somehow unaware of this fact, it's been pointed out in the thread.

WriterMan likes this.
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Americans were/are literally dying because they couldn't get healthcare. You would deny them healthcare for your own financial gain.

Better option? For you? Get a good job, work like hell, develop more compassion for your fellow man and stop being so selfish that you can't sacrifice a little money so that someone else can have healthcare. Or, as you have suggested, quit your job and get on the public dole, because employed people and unemployed people are receiving similar goods and services, and there is no incentive to work.

You're bitching about sacrificing a little money, a sacrifice you are easily able to make, so that others can have healthcare. You're coming off as an incredibly crappy human being right now.

No one cares about your dwindling entertainment money.

What an absurd question, they're not receiving similar goods and services. Tell me you're not stupid enough to actually believe this.

Why haven't you quit your job? You seem to think you'll receive the same goods and services and because of that there's no incentive to work.

J-Rod, you are ******* disgusting me right now.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That is not at all what I said. The words "I didn't earn it" were not used, nor was the word "given" used.

Nice try though. Great job proving my point about your disdain for government employees, and apparently, anyone who attended public university or got a Stafford loan. And LMAO at your trying to spin it as my problem.

I answered your question about incentive to work. You chose to ignore it in favor of another story starring you as the victim. Lest the rest of us forget that the world revolves around you and your issues.

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    J-Rod, if the world worked the way you think it did, Europe would have collapsed a long, long time ago.

11. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    To address the issue:

This idea of people living off of the "public dole" being equal to people that work is true in VERY specific instances. Where I live, there usually isn't much difference, but I also live in the poorest part of my state, and the area that Yahoo! ranked as the 7th poorest area in the country. According to City-Data, the median household income where I live is about 30K a year. And even then, there are people that take advantage of that and ones that don't. Why should we let a very minute few create an image for what is believed to be a large part of the nation?

But it is definitely not like this anywhere else that I've seen throughout the nation. People that live in cities where the price of living is crazy high simply cannot live comfortably off of government help alone. The idea of someone living off of welfare being equal to someone who even works in a fast food restaurant in New York City is preposterous.

I don't understand the issue with people that chose to attend public universities. God forbid they only wanted to spend 25-30K instead of 50K or more. I can't understand why anyone would want to attend a private university unless they have money just lying around (especially if they live in states like Virginia, California, North Carolina or Michigan where they have public universities that are comparable to Ivies). Unless you're Mormon and BYU is an option (because it's ridiculously cheap, like 13K a year I think), I'd suggest public all the way.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Another factor to consider, as someone brought up "rent" above, is the old mantra used to be "Never spend more than 25% of your monthly paycheck on rent."

That was never going to be true -- even when I went to college two decades ago -- in major urban areas like NYC (my chosen lifestyle), so it was a matter of choice in terms of how I wanted to live (i.e. roughly comparable salaries to live either in New York City or the Seattle metro-area). However it was still more than possible elsewhere and I interviewed with many of those places (DC, VA, NC, wherever Enron was, etc.).

How possible is that today still for everyone?

PS - even back then the "poverty line" was BS (it should be an index), which probably only makes it worse today.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If receiving money from taxpayer dollars qualifies as the "public dole" than corporations (particularly agricultural, energy, etc.) have been living off of the public dole for quite some time.

But nevermind that. They *EARNED* it.

14. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    There has been far more upward wealth redistribution over the past fifteen years or so than downward wealth distribution. Programs and assistance for the most needy people (particularly children) has been cut time and again, and things like unemployment compensation has been fought over by Republicans, sometimes with the claim that it must be paid for in some other way, and sometimes by saying that it stops people from looking for work. The first claim is a farce, as their recent antics show, and the other claim is nonsense, as shown by the lack of jobs in the country and the prejudices faced by the long-term unemployed (who became unemployed typically because of bad luck). The unemployment rate is dropping in large part because a lot of people are simply leaving the work force because they've been unable to find jobs.

Meanwhile, tax breaks and incentives for corporations continue unabated.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Ummm...your paycheck?

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Health care should never be dependent on your job, or your status in life. It's a human right.

People who get themselves in a fury over the idea that someone who they perceive to be less hardworking that they is getting good health care are deeply misguided and need to look at their priorities in life. The health care other people receive is no business of mine, other than my strong belief that everyone is entitled to good health care. If someone who is unemployed is getting free health care, it's of no consequence to me. Good for that person-- maybe it will help them get back into the workforce sooner and stay healthy, thus avoiding more costly medical expenses later on, the kind that sometimes become unpayable and turned over to the taxpayer.

17. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I actually have to agree somewhat with J-Rod here, at least on his first point.

Real wages and income have fallen, while the cost of everything has gone up. The government claims that core inflation is low, but they strip out food and gas, which is madness, IMHO, because their metrics then fail to accurately capture what swallows most people's incomes. Also, the artificial weakening of the dollar, while necessary to prevent an economic collapse 6 years ago, is now totally out of control. Major economies such as Russia and China are already leveraging out of it, and if its position as the global reserve currency disappears, America will be in for a world of hurt.

Even without that, the loss of purchasing power has already been devastating, so much so that even professionals such as myself are feeling the squeeze; as a physician, I make a decent living (although nowhere near what an investment banker does), don't live beyond my means, and I still don't feel financially secure, despite having significant savings. If I'm concerned, what about everybody else with the median income of 50K?

Eventually, something's got to give. You cannot continue to mine the wages of labor to create more capital. It's going to collapse, and it might start with health care.

Peace,

V-03

duende and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    287 billion dollar tax cut for the rich, yet I have to "earn" health insurance. [face_laugh]

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If your premise were even remotely true, you might have the beginnings of a point. But this is beyond ludicrous.

The ACA now mandates that even minimum plans include commonly used services that people will actually need. However, you are just objectively wrong if you think there aren't huge quality differences between what is offered by Medicaid, or even a Bronze Plan as compared to a Gold Plan or an even more luxuriant employer-based one. According to this site the average difference in deductible between the best and worst marketplace plans--that means we're already excluding Medicaid for the low-income/unemployed, which is worse still--is 14.6x. Fourteen times. I don't know what universe you live in where being on the hook for $300 is the same thing as $5,000. Let alone the differences in how many providers might be willing to accept said insurance.

We all understand that you, as an individual, worked hard to achieve what you have. Congratulations. The same is true of everyone else. But the great lie here is that somehow, you've been cheated, so that those who have done far less are living materially just as well. That's not even remotely true. It's a cynical, unsupported, inhumane argument against the social safety net, peddled by ideologues and politicians that have more interest in catering to an elite desire for low taxes. Let's get a grip here.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    And with that..

[​IMG]

Wocky has spoken.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Vaderize03 : Yes, costs have risen, I would say primarily due to the cost of gas, which impacts the economy as a whole probably more than any other factor.

The objection that many of us are citing here is the idea that the rising costs are somehow the fault of some monolith known as either "evil liberals" or "lazy people who watch MTV".

Or ACA itself. I would be interested in your take on that as a physician; if you have already posted it, I'll just do a search, maybe I missed something. I do agree that health care costs are going up but I do not blame ACA for it. And if I were to play along and say that ACA is to blame, I still would find it incredibly self-centered to say that other people should go without health care so that my personal costs stayed low.

Throwing out my own anecdotal evidence here, which may be worth so little that another $3.93 will get you a tall latte at Starbucks: I had outpatient, laporoscopic gallbladder surgery in December which cost me more than my emergency C-section did nine years ago with my first child, despite the fact that that required a three-day hospital stay. So I'm aware of rising costs on a personal level. But I also blame a higher population of people and longevity, and yes, the cost of gas. Not Obama, as much as I don't think his system is perfect.

And it is better that people are living longer and have greater access to health care, even if costs go up.

Saying that certain groups of people don't "deserve" or haven't "earned" health care is just as hateful as saying that they deserve to not get treated for their illnesses or, in some situations, die and "decrease the surplus population" as a famous book and movie quote says.

Because that is what such a statement means, there is no way to sugar-coat that and make it look good.

Addressing the cost of gas, which has gone up due to greater demand: would we say that people in other countries who have never had access to cars until now, should not be allowed to drive because their demand is raising our fuel costs? I doubt too many would say yes, and driving, unlike health care, is not necessary for survival.

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    In my four just-completed years at a university, surrounded by a lot of what would be considered to be "college age" students, I can say I heard "MTV" said approximately zero times.

You give your prejudices and lack of awareness away with your words, J-Rod.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I look forward to the day when we have to deal with the vast majority of jobs being replaced with automation. That'll be fun.

24. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    the only option is to bomb ourselves back to the stone age.

WriterMan likes this.
  25. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I applaud Obama for trying to fix Healthcare, at least. Who knows, if we give it some time it may be worthwhile. Even the New Deal was a flop at first.

Hopefully our next president will try to fix our education system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.