main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No one person's positions should dominate this thread, as much as that person might desire it.

What the hell were we discussing before this became the J-Rod Thread?

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    As many stereotypes have been put forth in this thread, she's bound to fit one of them.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Quick! Someone post an article with a bodycount!

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I wonder what he thought of Jason and Eric's "encounter".

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  8. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    There are entries for both Great Britain and the United Kingdom. I think somebody messed up that chart. :p

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Um did you perhaps confuse Australia with Austria?

[​IMG]

Lord Vivec likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    They both have the same figure.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It's in the line you just quoted. "MINIMUM WAGE". TWICE THAN.

12. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Technically, Great Britain only refers to the larger island of the British Isles. The whole country is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain, in and of itself is not a country.

Anyway, that's British stuff. Better get back to US politics!

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Australia is #1, not #31.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    That's right. Australia's middle class is #1 and I pointed out they happen to have twice the minimum wage that the U.S. has. Minimum wage might not exactly equal the incomes listed of the entire middle class of every country.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I wasn't sure if it was a typo or not.

I am actually Pathfindering now so I can't do all the research but I suspect those figures need lots of context. Like PPP and property costs and debt.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Do you even read my posts? All I did was mention that some of the bankruptcies attributed to medical coasts may have had other factors as well. I mentioned that many people don't save up an emergency stash as well. I never said "people who get bankrupt from medical emergencies just didn't save money."
    I definitely wouldn't recommend seeing me as a role model. I'm of flawed character. Self-awareness, loyalty and optimism are my only good qualities. Except here, I can't seem to get a handle on how I'm perceived. I still don't understand why "slacker watching MTV" didn't kill. If I had delivered that line verbally it would have gotten at least a knee slap. I debate politics all day long with people who don't agree with me. For me, it's a bonding experience. I'm better when tone, pacing and delivery are audible, I guess.
    Here is a man who knows that he doesn't have to agree with a given point or opinion to be able to understand it.
    "I think we should be left of center"
    "No! We should be extreme left!"
    "But what about moderately left?"
    "That's good, but I think we should be solidly left!"
    LOL ;)
    On the news front, they finally tipped their hand. http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/23/130-environmental-groups-call-for-an-end-to-capitalism/
    Is the whole "green" movement a cover for anti-capitalism? I doubt it, but commie groups are certainly using a portion of it for cover.

And Obamacare is hurting more than it's helping. http://washingtonexaminer.com/surve...obamacare-many-more-worse-off/article/2551199 In case you guys still think I'm the only one.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Information I've known for awhile and probably several others here have as well.

I think "the wealthy are allowed to buy politics" sums up the problem the best.

Corporatocracy. The problem will never be solved as long as the wealthy are allowed more political influence than the poor and middle class, which means the way campaigns are run overall is going to have to change.

When federal-level politicians are relying on million-dollar TV spots on major city networks, they'll continue to rely on million-dollar-plus donations from companies like Goldman Sachs and Monsanto.

Of course it would also help if our ****ing prison system wasn't privatized and for-profit, among other things.

The link someone (Merk I think) posted about new voter requirements in PA helping Romney win that state, reminded me of the rumors that some of the voting machines in Ohio were owned by Tagge Romney's company.

Link

Turned out to be a non-issue but at the same time, the question should have never needed to be asked. Talk about an industry that shouldn't be privatized.

As to the other points...many if not most in the GOP have indicated that they do not see income inequality as a problem, in fact, some have praised it. There is a thread specifically on that subject in this forum and such talking points have been posted there.

As long as people with that mentality continue to get elected and/or buy elections, we will continue to have the same issues.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I think I kinda spelled that out a few days ago. If you or anyone else disagrees, I'm more than welcome to have that conversation. ..

19. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    It's not that I disagree. I just don't understand why. Even after rereading my posts. I didn't say "All single mothers" or "All government employees" or "All...anything." Of course part of the deal is it didn't used to be 3, 4 or 5 to one. That tends to rock a person back on their heels a bit.

20. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Hell, I was called racist for acknowledging that Taco Bell is an example of Mexican culture influencing American culture.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I knew you'd say that. So don't worry, your reputation is safe. :p

And the Paris Commune has a lot to answer for. They brought down the Second Empire.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    You'd be amazed at how words like "few," "some, " and "many" can help you out ;)

23. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Those words are there, bro. They've been missed, somehow.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    When you argue as... er... stubbornly, and listen as little as you do, words like "all" are not needed. It's off-putting. Try listening more, and allowing the conversation to come from other points of view and other experiences, outside of your own. You have a very self-centered method of discussing issues (that appears to be the case in written form, anyway). Try having a bit of compassion and humility sometimes, and you'll probably be surprised by how differently people respond to you. This is an electronic medium... you have to purposely inject humanity into it. Give it a try.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    And "love", "hugs", and "sunshine".

Juliet316 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.