main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Also an example of the slippery slope:
    [​IMG]

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Former Governor of Virginia, Bob McDonnell, claims that he didn't do anything wrong... it was his wife who was corrupt and behind it all, and she had a romantic crush on the donor, so you should feel really bad for Bob!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/30/bob-mcdonnell-defense_n_5635787.html

Someone's going to get a divorce soon...

Game3525 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope she gets everything down to the salt shakers and the garden hose.

Yodaminch and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Which leads us back toooooo....
    and

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope_fallacy[/url

harpua and Juliet316 like this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I sort of feel like this is the "How It Should Have Ended" version of Frozen...

"Sooooooooo..."
    "STOP SAYING SOOOOOO!!!"

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Kind of hard to take everything down when they both maybe in prison for decades soon.

8. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    it's "flawed reasoning" only in the sense that it does not prove an argument logically.

when you set a bed-time for your kids, the reason you don't allow them to push the time back is because you are aware that it is a slippery slope.

just because the slippery slope argument doesn't prove anything logically, doesn't mean you shouldn't keep it in mind. slippery slopes exist.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes it does. It's a hill covered in snow or ice:

[​IMG]

10. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    House Republicans are also refusing to pass a resolution honoring Pope Francis before his visit to the United States, because he's too liberal.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    When in reality he's not liberal enough.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How do you come to this conclusion? I hope it's not some clap-trap about "freedom." Before and after, the US proved quite capable of writing hugely restrictive laws. The Prohibition Era was not even twenty years passed. Black people were denied the basic rights of citizenry and couldn't even avail themselves of public bathrooms.

The main reason this law was unthinkable in the 1950s is that there was no reason for it. However, as seat belts had their theoretical efficacy proven, that provided the evidence people needed to contemplate making them standard issue. Once they were standard issue, and people had years of experience watching the number of lives saved as a result, they had a rational basis for voting to make wearing the seatbelt mandatory. It's not a "slippery slope" to decline to do something without evidence and then start doing it when its proven to work.

What? When you set a bedtime for children, the reason you don't allow them to push the time back is because you already picked a time that gives the best balance between their desire for waking play time and the amount of sleep required to be healthy and functional.

14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

This sums it up and also shows why the lawsuit is just a waste of taxpayer money.

Literally, they can not even figure out what they want to blame him for at this point. Stop doing your job! Do your job! Don't do anything without our approval! You don't need our approval!

This is just sad.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Religious trivia about U.S. presidents:

-George Washington did not take communion, and refused prayers or the presence of a minister while on his deathbed
    -John Adams had a dog named Satan
    -Thomas Jefferson observed Ramadan in December 1805, while hosting a Muslim envoy from Tunis
    -Thomas Jefferson wrote a version of the Gospels that stripped out of all miracles (including the resurrection) and any reference to the supernatural or divine
    -Mary Lincoln held a séance in the White House
    -Abraham Lincoln was shot on Good Friday
    -Ulysses Grant was never baptized, and got in trouble for refusing to attend religious services while a student at West Point
    -Calvin Coolidge was the first President to have a Christmas tree in the White House, and make Christmas into a public celebration
    -"Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, and "In God We Trust" as the motto, weren't added until Eisenhower was President
    -Bill Clinton was the first president to light a Hanukkah menorah, but George W. Bush was the first to have a White House Hanukkah celebration and light the menorah in the WH residence

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    You left out the best one of all.

Fixed.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

18. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    The slippery slope is not, in and of itself, a logical fallacy. There is a fallacious form of the argument and a non-fallacious form.

The fallacious form comes when you argue that one thing inevitably follows from another without providing any support for why it is inevitable.

The non-fallacious form does not say that it is inevitable, but simply looks at the possibility of what might logically follow. (One such example is Person A arguing that rent needs to be kept below $1000 to be affordable. The non-fallacious slippery slope argument would be to ask why not $1025, or $1050, etc.)

Just because someone uses a slippery slope argument doesn't mean it is fallacious.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think it does when they're arguing that the legalization of marijuana will eventually get us to sex slavery, but that's me.

20. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

Yeah, I don't know how the "cuckold husband" defense is going to hold up in court. Maybe it just me, but I don't think I would be taking gifts from a guy who is apparently screwing my wife behind my back......but that just me.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm having excessive difficulty seeing how this is a strike against Lincoln.

heels1785 likes this.
  22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He was at a play when he should've been at church!

Lord Vivec and DarthTunick like this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Jesus took the...gun that Booth was holding!

DarthTunick likes this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    In dying on the same day as the Lord, he tried to make himself equal in status to God.

25. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Or the legalisation same sex marriage will lead to people marrying their pets and their toasters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.