main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i too prefer biden over hillary for potential future CEOs of the United States of (Corporate) America

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Who knows it anyone is still alive by then. What are you saying?

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    IS THAT A THREAT!?! somebody contact the secret service

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I think he's saying that Biden is ooooooooooooold.

5. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Clinton has the gravitas to keep the Obama coalition in place, and could probably expand it. She has performed well in places where Obama has been a poor cultural fit, like rural Pennsylvania and states in the upper South like Tennessee, West Virginia, and Kentucky. Her major weakness is being seen as a conservative Democrat, but this won't be a problem in a general election when liberals will have to choose between her and a Republican.

Biden just isn't as well liked as Clinton or for that matter Obama. None of the other potential Democratic candidates really have much star power.. Cuomo, O'Malley, Schweitzer, Warner. They are fine politicians and leaders, but aren't going to generate much enthusiasm.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Hillary is going on paid speaking tours this year.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Mississippi finally ratifies the 13th Amendment

http://news.yahoo.com/thanks-lincol...-ratified-thirteenth-amendment-024920825.html

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That has me thinking that they really ought to consider setting aside a day to commeorate Abraham Lincoln...

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    o_O

You really can't make **** like this up sometimes.

10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    The southern states, do not forget, were invaded and conquered by Lincoln. You expect them to honor him? Look at it from their perspective. Slavery may not have been legal in most of the Union, but they did kill 300,000 or so southerners in order to prevent them from leaving, which there was no law against.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Gawd, OZK... can a single topic not turn into a discussion about your wang? 300,000... really???

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  12. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
  13. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Err. . . .that's a very specious way of summarizing that chapter of history. The issue of secession was considered to unconstitutional by many, including some notable figures who chose to side with the south, like Robert E. Lee. It was a convoluted and fiercely debated subject. Moreover, the southern states didn't simply get invaded because they tried to leave the Union; they were invaded in direct response to an indirectly provoked (at best) attack by South Carolina on a Federal military installation. In addition, a large number of federal arsenals, post offices, court houses, ports, forts, railroads, rail cars, military hardware, and other forms of Federal or commercial property were seized or destroyed by the southern states. A multitude of army officers committed treasonous offenses too. It's not nearly as one-sided and straightforward as you're portraying it to be.

It should be noted that the Jefferson Davis did offer to pay for some of the Federal property, if I remember correctly.

RC-1991 and Summer Dreamer like this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, that would be almost like if Southern states cajoled their African-American citizenry with public holidays and statuary honoring the champions of slav--

Oh, wait.

Darth Guy likes this.
  15. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I have and I must say, I'd have to be a total moron to hold a grudge from over a hundred-fifty years ago. But I'm glad those moochers are getting the benefits of being a part of the union. Wouldn't want them going off on their own and becoming the North American version of Zimbabwe or anything.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Oh, I'm very glad the Union stayed together. I just think the invasion of the southern states was illegal and that slavery could have been ended in a better way than nearly 1,000,000 deaths. It does not mean I support slavery, am racist, or want the South to rise again. I hate rebellions and I hate war. I think both are generally highly immoral.

I hate seeing a brutal dictator (though elected) praised for his crimes. It likewise galls me that rebels and traitors like Washington, Adams, Franklin, and Jefferson are so venerated.

17. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    So the Defense Department is now awarding medals to, quite literally, armchair warriors. What I'm wondering is whether this will be ranked higher than the Purple Heart.

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'd like to see the drones get recognized for their hard work. Painted medals!

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't have a big problem with awarding a drone pilot a medal. They are far removed from danger but then so is the vast majority of Naval personel. They strike from hundreds or even thousands of miles away yet they also get medals.

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001

That's an odd view of the world, sir.

Valairy Scot and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    So they weren't traitors who rebelled against King and Country?

What were they, then?

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Just for those who though their Tea Party had any form of legitimacy

End of page two is this:

"Finally, this report might serve as a wake-up call to some people in the Tea Party itself, who would find it a little disturbing that the "grassroots" movement they are so emotionally attached to, is in fact a pawn created by billionaires and large corporations with little interest in fighting for the rights of the common person, but instead using the common person to fight for their own unfettered profits. "

Not gonna happen. I know a tea party person. Nice guy! But he will not let it go under any circumstance.

23. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I can't find a good smilie for "not surprised in the least" or possible "Duh." Either way it's good that this is out there but I'm not at all surprised.

24. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    That mindset is fascinating. So strictly in favor of obedience to any higher authority regardless of circumstance. What would you say to the assertion that they were representative of a people who had been exploited unfairly by a ruling class that had failed in their obligation to those they purported to govern? And where's the cut off? Is it worth venerating any American President, or are they all merely inheritors of a traitorous legacy that needs to be terminated?

Jedi_Dajuan and Rogue_Ten like this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I would agree in principle, Recession Spending, but I don't really see why you are so appalled. The justification of the American Revolution wasn't really very impressive. At all.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.