main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    heels1785 -- if you're wondering, "Crime, boy, I don't know" is when I decided to kick your ass.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There's not exactly a shortage of people who want to become teachers as it is, and no one ever does it for the money. ANECDOTAL (which is really better than your completely unsupported assertions) My father, for example, waited about 10 years before becoming a teacher because his grocery store job paid better and offered better benefits. Because of filthy unions! I think this is when the minimum wage was about $2.50. He only ever took a teaching job because it was something he wanted to do, not something that paid the Kingly equivalent of $15/hour today. Hell, I knew people in college who were striving to become teachers despite there being a freeze on hiring in California and teachers got laid off in the hundreds. ANECDOTAL

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, clearly that was the entire thrust of my post. Good job.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Please clarify.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

In a vacuum, simply raising the minimum wage to $15/hr doesn't inherently address the issue of teachers being underpaid.

In fact, in that same vacuum, then yes -- raising the minimum wage would probably put a damper on teachers coming out of schools. I also used that as a basic example, as there are plenty of other scenarios and professions with starting salaries comparable to teachers that may also be disproportionately affected without coming up with other incentivised plans for increasing the base salaries of those other work areas (such as: nursing and other non-doctor healthcare positions that require degrees and certification, public service, etc.).

In fact, it would disproportionately affect the poorest of the poor because, generally, I think it's understood that education by state ranking is widely lower in the "poorer" states and widely higher in the "richer" states (again, generalization). So, taking the aforementioned Alabama -- which is ranked 34th in the country -- spending basically the average teacher salary versus New Jersey (ranked 3rd) having by far the second-highest starting teaching salary in the country (Alaska, unsurprisingly, is #1 by a lot -- also an outlier in state rankings, at #32), coming in at $48,631.

So there may be disproportionate effects there, with it affecting New Jersey (with a significantly higher salary and plenty of affordable housing and cost of living outside of the major metro-areas / suburbs of NYC) far less than it would the poorer states with lower salaries. If we're talking about raising the minimum wage (which, again, should probably be indexed rather than a flat value) it needs to happen in a more comprehensive discussion as to what happens with the pay of essential public services as well -- teachers, fire, police, sanitation (though usually well taken care of), etc.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Governor Rick Perry of Texas has been indicted on abuse of power

[​IMG]

7. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    go on...

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    "It's like all my orgasms have come at once."

dp4m likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Ninja'd.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

[​IMG]

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Nothing much to see. Never had a chance at the Presidency, and Greg Abbott will make sure that nothing happens to Perry - if it even gets to that point. Good moral victory for the long-suffering Texas Dems.

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    lmao what an *******

dp4m likes this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    For something different and fun, here's some random trivia questions:

Q: The United States never elected someone with significant non-European heritage to the Presidency or Vice Presidency, before President Obama. True or False?

A:
    False!

Charles Curtis was elected Vice President of the United States in 1928. He was about half Native American, on his mother's side. Grew up with his mother and maternal grandparents on an Indian reservation in Kansas Territory in the 1860's-1870's. Involved in some Indian battles.

[​IMG]

Q: Three of the following people were NOT elected Vice President. Which three?

-Hannibal Hamlin
    -Hubert Horatio Humphrey
    -Nelson Rockefeller
    -Aaron Burr
    -Elbridge Gerry
    -Spiro Agnew
    -Dan Quayle
    -Dick Cheney
    -John Calhoun
    -George Clinton
    -Joe Biden
    -Gerald Ford
    -George H.W. Bush
    -Garret Hobart
    -Daniel Tompkins
    -Richard Mentor Johnson
    -Walter Mondale
    -Alben W. Barkley
    -John Breckinridge
    -Chester A. Arthur
    -Schuyler Colfax
    -Henry Wilson
    -William Rufus King
    -Millard Fillmore
    -George Dallas
    -Henry Wallace
    -John Nance Garner
    -John Tyler
    -Charles Dawes
    -Thomas Marshall
    -Calvin Coolidge
    -Richard Nixon
    -Andrew Johnson
    -Charles Fairbanks
    -James Garfield
    -James Sherman
    -Thomas Hendricks
    -Adlai Stevenson
    -William Wheeler
    -Levi Morton

A:
    Garfield was President, but never Vice President.
    Gerald Ford was Vice President and President, but never elected VP.
    Nelson Rockefeller was VP, but Ford's VP, so he wasn't elected either.

All those other guys were actually names of our past Vice Presidents.

*7 Vice Presidents died while in office, while 8 Presidents have died while in office (4 assassinations).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    One of the best smackdowns of Rick Perry out there, via Lewis Black.

little rough in parts.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Dammit. My pic went away. Try again.

[​IMG]

16. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    The Rick Perry indictment is never going to go anywhere. Even liberals like David Axelrod, Mia Farrow, Alan Dershowitz, Jonathan Chait, and others are questioning it. Frankly it's nothing more than sour grapes and desperation from the libs in Texas.

On the other hand, this cracks me up!

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So a DA has a drinking problem. Alrighty then.

I don't care about Rick Perry either but if it messes up any chance he has at the Presidency, so much the better.

18. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Not really, he made threats and then carried them out. Texas paid for his decision. You don't know what kind of actions it had on the budget and those already inside the justice system. He made himself a target for personal liability by all employees who lost their jobs or had lost money. You could the office of the governor sued for lots of money and the state of Texas having to pay it.

19. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    So let me get this straight, you're ok with baseless indictments being made for political purposes as long as it helps your favorite politicians get elected? [face_plain] Do you even realize how scary that line of thinking is?

As for Perry's indictment, as far as I understand it after researching this, he was well within his constitutional rights. You could certainly accuse him of playing politics but he's done nothing illegal. Do you want me to go into detail on how Obama has used his office for political gain? The stuff he pulls is far more questionable (in terms of constitutional authority) than anything Perry has done in Texas but I don't hear very many liberal crying foul over that. [face_thinking]

JediSmuggler likes this.
  20. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    this is the point of the whole thing.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This, and apparently "hey look over there!" and "liberals something something" making the Internet more amusing, or more like an elementary school playground depending on how you look at it.

I don't know how much of a chance Perry had anyway, I haven't opened the Election 2016 thread, but yes, this was the point.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You're a such joke.

First you declare that it's a baseless indictment, then you express shock that others are taking what you've declared as a baseless indictment seriously.

23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    What is with all the right wing fanatics coming back out of the woodwork?

It's particularly noteworthy for me, as I'm reading Perlstein's "The Invisible Bridge," and the quotes he uses from ordinary citizens of the time (primarily through newspaper interviews and letters to the editors) show how right wing authoritarianism was as dominant then as it is now.

24. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    yeah! what's with all this right-wing authoritarianism?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    wait was rick perry seen as a viable candidate for 2016?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.