main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    decentralization/devolution isnt necessarily a sole province of "the right", but your point is taken. still do you think its fair of J-Rod to characterize california as just another state to make a point? perhaps part of the problem is we dont yet know what point he's tryign to make...

Darth Tunes likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Huh? What I said wasn't intended to be taken that way. I was saying the "too big" thing is a fairly common excuse to not have, say, a nationwide (high-speed) rail network, or single-payer healthcare. That doesn't mean those people would be in favor of individual states mandating such things.

3. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    oh okay my bad.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    But that's not the comment he made. He just looked at the same field of 2016 contenders you did, and said that he wasn't running because they thought they were better than him. That pretty definitively suggests he's not running.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But admits that "circumstances can change."

Anyways, the point was that it's hilarious that Romney still has so much support (and that he won't completely shut them down either), it's like all his supporters are suffering from a second plague of Romnesia.

6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    [​IMG]

7. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I grew to like Romney quite a bit through the tail end of the 2012 campaign, and probably would have voted for him if the actual party he would have been beholden to as President weren't so utterly unhinged, but I think 2016 is a non-starter for him. The problem is that in order to make himself more palatable, he'll have to veer leftward, which will perfectly dovetail with the well-ingrained negative stereotype of him that he'll say or do anything to get elected. On top of that, he's basically a living, breathing example of the archetypical Old Rich White Guy that my generational cohorts in the electorate are so disenchanted with.

That being said, given how awful the slate of prospective candidates is, I wouldn't be shocked if he did in fact decide to run. Surprised, yes, but not shocked.

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm 70% certain we're going to have a Republican Senate, but I'm 99.9% certain we're not going to have a Republican president unless someone with leadership qualities can be built from scratch.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I'll add one thing to the above: I'm 70% certain that a Republican Senate will go back to the Democrats in 2016.

The prospect of total GOP control in Washington will be more than enough to get whomever runs on the Democrat ticket to 270; also, the electoral senate map in 2016 is far more favorable to Democrats than 2014 is.

Peace,

V-03

10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What can possibly change? He said this after the Chris Christie bridge debacle, Scott Walker's special prosecutor, Rick Perry's indictment, and Marco Rubio's post-immigration bill popularity collapse. What else could he possibly be waiting on?

11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    who's even going to run? (ghost this question is not directed at you, its directed at people who have a proven track-record for perceiving reality)

like, i guess rick perry might decide to waste his time for the book deal/fox news consultancy potential but who else? is christ christie still really a thing? i mean, one the one hand the base hates him but on the other hand they've wound up with people they loathe as the nominee the last two elections and as soon as the nomination was cinched they fell right into line until the day after the election. is ted cruz really a thing? like as bizarre as the last two cycles have been i just cannot imagine a ted cruz campaign. it wouldnt even be scary, just sort of surreal and comical i guess

12. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
    The problem for the GOP in my view is that, because the party has become so obsessed with far-right ideological purity, there's a huge disconnect between who can actually emerge from the primaries and who would actually have a chance at all in the general election. In my view, absolutely nobody associated with this Congress has a chance of winning the general election. That leaves only the governors. Chris Christie is deeply tarnished, Romney is probably not going to run, Walker has no name-recognition, Bobby Jindal is a joke, and Jeb Bush's last name is Bush.

It looks pretty bleak.

EDIT: One thing that's interesting...it looks like the "Democrats fall in love; Republicans fall in line" dynamic will get turned on its head this time around.

13. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    a rand/hillary contest would be damned surreal, and probably super entertaining.

14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i guess what im asking is, regardless of who will/can "win", what will be the exact makeup of the freakshow we get to enjoy in the 2016 presidential election republican primary? can we expect another broad and varied game of coked-out musical chairs like the last few cycles, or will it be a hard core of a couple also-rans and a chosen one?

15. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    cruz
    paul
    roms
    carson
    christie
    perry
    aboulijandi
    nephilim
    croates
    dangle
    pfeffermeister
    okra
    dr. freedom

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    lol oh god i forgot abotu ben carson. that's gonna be tough to watch

17. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
    Excuse me; that's Doctor Ben Carson.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    oh right. like doctor ron paul

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    To be fair, though, Carson was actually skilled and well-respected in his former profession.

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

oh snap

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016#Republican_Party_2

Publicly expressed interest

Other potential candidates

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

ghost this is why you dont get invited to the cool kid parties

Lord Vivec likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Forgot Palin.

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    that said, allow me to whip a takedown list off the dome, just for ****s and giggles,

bachmann - crazy eyes
    bolton - "gaffe" waiting for the extended scrutiny and pressure to happen and by "gaffe" i mean obscenity-laden meltdown, openly using racial slurs, throwing things or something; no charisma or likeability; basically it would be like electing a crazy mountain hermit to the presidency
    bush - bush
    cain - lingering scandal; black man running in the republican party; no applicable experience
    carson - black dude, republican party; even less applicable experience than cain -- not even on healthcare, really, when you consider the dude was a surgeon
    chris christie - fatty; base hates him; abrasive; scandal
    ted cruz - weird head; everybody loved the government shutdown, right? right?!
    mike huckabee - crazy eyes; long history of public craziness, ("hey lets put everyone with HIV on an island!") made only more abundant by his cable news activities since the last time he ran
    john huntsman, jr - stop trying to make john huntsman happen, wonks, john huntsman is never going to happen
    bobby jindal - not white enough to be republican nominee; christine o'donnell "i was a witch"-esque past
    rob portman - loves his dead gay son
    donald trump - attention whoring, does not actually intend to run
    allen west - war criminal; black man in republican party; drama queen
    mike rogers - who the **** is mike rogers? did you make this one up to see if i was paying attention or something?
    marco rubio - mexican
    joe scarborough - murderer
    peter king - too much racism in the recent past, will turn off all but the most insane in the base (a sizeable group of people, but not enough to win)
    paul ryan - will be spun as a sell-out by his opponents for an early out in the primary
    rand paul - crazy dad; will be spun as sell-out to the base by his opponents, albiet less effectively than paul ryan will be; too crazy to pick up the slack with moderates
    mike pence - likening healthcare to terrorism shows lack of control over his public persona; not racist enough/immigration reform activities will be spun as amnesty, he'll be done with the base at that point
    rick perry - rick perry
    rick santorum - rick santorum
    sarah palin - has no intent to run. she's just happy as a clam where she is

...and ive lost interest for now

anyways, there's no way all of these people are going to run. lets narrow the pool down a bit instead of just quoting wikipedia and calling that good, eh?

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I truly believe -- and I know KW disagrees with me -- that Christie's still got a real shot at the nomination and, honestly, won't lose that much of the base compared to a Hillary nomination on the other side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.