main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    I'm still not seeing a truly valid argument as to why we shouldn't be a sovereign nation, or how to assimilate millions of foreigners into the existing fabric of the country.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    There won't be impeachment hearings, nor will there be a government shutdown. 2016 is all that matters - the moderates shut down the Tea Party in the midterms, and it will be useful - Boehner's larger majority means that he is no longer beholden to the fringe, and McConnell's majority can drown out Ted Cruz and Mike Lee.

We'll have business as usual within a month or so, I'd imagine.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hope so. Another government shutdown would be damn frustrating.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I don't think (at least I hope), we won't get impeachment proceedings, if only because deathraygun has helpfully pointed out, the GOP does NOT want Biden as President maybe even less than they want Obama as President. I would not rule out another Government Shutdown though.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The GOP has been trying to impeach Obama since he got elected, for everything from the ACA to putting the toilet paper in "roll under mode" in the White House 1st floor bathroom.

To be fair, people were trying to impeach Bush over Iraq.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    I'm not sure where you guys are getting the misinformation that the Tea Party is dead, dying, or even handicapped. While we lost some primary races to establishment Republicans, we did get Joni Erst, And Ben Sasse elected in the general. And you might have noticed in the primaries and General, the narrative was "who's more conservative?", not how mainstream or willing to compromise.
    I think you're underestimating the Tea Party, but go forth with that logic.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Honestly, I'd impeach Obama for doing the TP in "under" mode -- "over" is where it's at.

8. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    What a freaking barbarian. I guess we can't expect better from someone born in a country without TP.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I use the three shells. WTF are you guys talking about?

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    You have to win in order to govern. The Tea Party is totally incapable of winning elections in most states, and moderates are sick of throwing away seats (example, Mourdock in Indiana).

They will be totally marginalized when Ted Cruz is laughed out of this primary.

11. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999

12. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    Wow, you're completely off. Ted Cruz is very popular in our state. I mean Greg Abbott just walloped Wendy Davis. And Bill Cassidy (86% Tea Party rating) is crushing Landreiu (56 to 41), so your moderate theory is being rejected. The party is being pulled further to right. How about Scott Walker and Rick Scott getting re-elected? Chris Christie, whom most would point to as "moderate" is not favored at all by the base. I voted McCain and sucked it up for Romney, but I'm not sure I'll stomach a third attempt at a moderate.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, I would hate for you to go against your principles. I'd just encourage you to stay home and not vote.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Thankfully, your state is not representative of this country, nor is it representative of how Cruz would fare in a national primary. I appreciate the work you put into giving examples, but how does Abbott defeating Davis prove anything other than Texas voted to continue its streak of Republican governors, ever since Richards lost in 1994? Mary Landrieu is a dreadful politician, she is being defeated by a Republican counterpart in a state with a moderate Republican governor and moderate Senator in Vitter. Scott Walker has a highly efficient machine and has found his niche by taking on unions in his state - I don't know if he qualifies as "Tea Party"or not - if so, more power to him. Rick Scott beat a guy who changes parties every time he loses.

You're giving examples of Republicans beating Democrats, and there are lots of examples of that after these midterms. However, the Republicans who were elected are nowhere near the 2010 class, ideologically, and there are very few examples of moderates (such as Thad Cochran and Mitch McConnell) getting "primaried" this go round. This wasn't a "destroy the government and rebuild" election, it was a "I don't like Obama" election.

You need the center to win a national election, and after being thumped twice, the moderates are regaining control of the party.

16. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    Here's the skinny on the Tea Party's influence, from Al Jazeera no less, I think it's safe to assume the TP is staying around for awhile. And while the TP lost some primaries, we also won some. Mitch McConnell was at a meeting with TP Senators this past summer, trying to gin up support. Landreiu has been a sitting Senator for what, 16 years? But now she's terrible because she will lose? If left wing ideology is so prevalent, then why did she move to the right? It's true, the TP didn't fare as well as it did in 2010, but there are still TP aligned Senators in office. 2012 was more about voter turnout than a referendum on the Tea Party's ideas, since historically Republicans come out more for mid-terms, and many voters only turned out because of the particular race, or at least half the race, of a certain candidate.

Link.. http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/...log/2013/11/5/the-tea-party-bythenumbers.html

17. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    Haha. Yeah, right back atcha. No worries, I'll still vote in the primaries and general, although when it comes to the top of the ballot...

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The great myth is that there is such a thing as a "moderate" Republican anymore and that these "moderates" are all that different from the astroturf Tea Party. Boehner and McConnell are ostensibly not teabaggers, and they pretty much agree with the freshmen psychotics on everything except the U.S. defaulting on its debt.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd have to see how Republicans behave as the in-power (WH) party before declaring that there is no moderate wing. Over the last 6 years, they have been unified as an opposition party, but I think it's a leap to say that they all share the same ideology.

20. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    If that's the case though, then there really isn't a difference between republicans and democrats. Or, everyone is "moderate" in the sense of being center-right and up on the spectrum. I suppose Kucinich was the last unapologetic leftist that meant anything when he retired in 2013. Maybe Franken currently might be, but he's rather big business orientated as well, so he's probably a wash. Otherwise, you're currently left with variations of blue dogs and tea partiers, but they're all just different terms for the same thing designed to fit in their own party. That could probably be viewed as the greatest shadow victory the American right pulled off. No one talks about being moderate in terms of left leaning, it only matters on how many degrees of right leaning a politician from either party is.

Maybe all of this is a good reason why labels don't really matter?

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That's not a likely scenario so I don't know why you bring it up. They're not going to win the White House in their current party-of-the-straight-white-evangelical-Christian-male state. Extremely low voter turnout is their friend, and that doesn't happen during a presidential election. Maybe if they had someone viable and/or Hilary weren't waiting in the wings, but they don't and she is.

And they won't be the opposition party in the legislative branch in January. They'll control it.

EDIT: And yes, Democrats are overwhelmingly center-right and Republicans are on the fringe of center-right.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Slow down. I wasn't suggesting it would happen, or that I want it to. My point was that, before saying "all Republicans are now the same," I'd need to see them in a situation where they could actually form policy. It's easy now to yell about repealing the ACA, for example, while there is no possibility of it happening, and nobody's forcing you to answer the question of how your party would fix our poor state of healthcare.

Vaderize03 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    In grand tradition of the bonkers US approach, remind me why your "left" party is blue?

Besides idiocy.

Coruscant likes this.
  24. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Then prepare for at least another four years of Democratic rule come 2016.

The frustration with President Obama does not equal a wholesale embrace of Republican principles, and the practically non-turnout of those who weren't anything other than anti-Obama will not translate into a GOP victory in the next Presidential election.

Of course, the 2014 results have only emboldened those who think the path to Pennsylvania Avenue is best achieved by going further to the right. Perhaps they will wake up to the lessons of recent history before then, but I'm not holding my breath

Peace,

V-03

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It's only been the universal standard since 2000, surprisingly enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.