main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Actually it is. Promiscuous drug use has as little to do with homosexuality and marriage as it does with heterosexuality and marriage.

I'd be willing to bet that parents whose children become drug addicts after they get married, even if the marriage is a contributing factor (i.e. the spouse being a drug user), suddenly decide that heterosexual marriage is a bad thing. They would likely decide that that particular heterosexual marriage is a bad thing, but not the overall institution.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Politicians shouldn't allow their personal life experiences to influence, or cause them to re-evaluate, their positions?

That's insane.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's a disgusting way of thinking. "Hey, this personally affects me, so I guess I'll change my mind." It's great to have one less opponent of gay marriage, I guess, but he shows no sign of deviating from the Republican-brand lack of empathy for strangers less fortunate than himself. This isn't some great Act of Virtue on his part.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Especially considering that, like, personal experiences influence everybody. So ergo everybody should just not have any personal experiences because OMG, somebody might change their position on something based on something personal happening to them!

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm not saying he's a hero. I'm just saying it's a good thing.

And it's more than just being personally affected, as the thousands/millions of parents of gay people who basically cut off all relationship with their kids shows, and as waiting for 2 years shows.

Some people honestly just don't think that much about an issue, or really open their mind on an issue and try to seek more information on it, until something happens in their life. It's human.

6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    he waited two years because he was a VP potential two years ago you... darth ghost

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Ugh.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  8. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i too think that it is disgusting when people gain new insights in the middle of their lives. i am going to go throw up now.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, personal growth... ugh... wtf? How dare he?

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wish most people didn't have to wait for a personal life experience, but that's just the way most people are, it's human nature. Like I said, I'm not saying he's a hero or a leader or anything like that.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't remember people seriously mentioning him until mid-2012.

Do you guys wish he had never changed his beliefs, or never come public about supporting gay marriage?

11. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    It is not ******* personal growth. It is cynical, vote mongering. A controlled cave-in, if you will.

12. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    that may be, but that's not what darth guy and were disgusted by up there. i have puke on my shirt.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    ?

That doesn't even make sense, EBB.

I feel like if they announced World Peace tomorrow, while everyone else was celebrating, you guys would be complaining about how long it took them. So miserable about everything.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Then they have no business being in politics. As a senator, it is literally his only job to think about and form a well-informed opinion on issues like this.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the most constructive thing rob portman could ever do would be to die in a fire

16. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Their slow change to support gay marriage will keep them alive politically.

If the Republicans announced they wanted world peace, the first sane response would be "How are they profiting from this?"

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Peace contractors become big employers and lobbyists?

18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    "My only regret is that I have but one like to give to Darth Guy's posts" .

Alpha-Red likes this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Actually it's to represent your constituents, and fight for your beliefs.

This is how support for gay marriage has grown so much in so little time. People realizing they have gay kids, siblings, cousins, nephews, nieces, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. It helped them see things from a different perspective, by putting a face on it, and seeing that they're real people with real relationships just like them. It's not surprising that this is what led to the only sitting Republican Senator announcing he supports Gay Marriage.

20. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    It just cannot be a bad thing for someone to change their mind for the better.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The big news on Fox today, Obama did not eat a lobster meal because his food taster was not there. *gasp*!!! That king has a food taster and your tax dollars are paying for it! I wonder if they will point out that GWB not only had a team of food tatsters but said tasters even washed their silverware? Clinton? Regan? They had food tasters.

22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Senator Portman's situation can be summed up in one word: karma.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    If they had existed back when Bush 41 threw up in Japan, they'd probably be crying "We need food tasters to protect the President!" "National security!" Or something like that.

24. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    come on, guys. I understand this change happens to agree with your politics, but you are mistaking weakness for virtue..

this guy would be pro-death penalty until his son is on death row, pro-life until his 15 year old gets pregnant, pro-war until he finds out his kids don't want to go war, pro-tax cuts for the rich until his family suffers a reverse, anti- affirmative action until his daughter has black kids, etc.

And while this might not be the case, how do you know that it's not?

He's lost all credibility and should step down.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I knew it would only be a matter of time before Nate Silver summarized the polling on this :p

And yes, I'd say about 75% is definitely a "huge supermajority":

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.