main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This sounds like the speech of a President with a mandate, and two commanding majorities in Congress. If the immigration EA wasn't proof enough, this is - the midterm isn't going to phase him.

He's really signaling that he's going for it, these last two years. Big ideas, but popular ideas. I think it's going to work. It'll be nice to not see our executive go out with a whimper.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    *faze. But don't feel bad-- I've seen that error made in the New York Times and the New Yorker.

Back on things that actually matter, I disagree that these are big ideas. I tend to agree more with Kevin Drum, in that these are smaller ideas and that this is more about framing the future of political debate surrounding a number of things. Having said that, he is definitely taking a much different approach than his predecessors going back a long time.

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    "I have no more campaigns to run"

Republicans: applause

"I know, because I won both of them" :cool:

Perhaps he should have just flipped Congress off for an hour instead. Would have been just as entertaining.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That was a strong speech.

Thanks, KW. I had no idea, I've been misspelling that for years. You also make good points - perhaps these ideas are not "big," but they are bolder than what many of us have come to expect in the last two years of a Presidency.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Some post-speech notes:

1) Showing no humility. No interest in concessions
    2) No mention of Mitch McConnell. Compared to how he talked about Boehner after he became Speaker.
    3) Took some serious shots at Republicans including the oil pipeline, government shutdown, etc.

So basically, he's not going down without a fight. Basically if this was a game of chicken, he's not blinking. Should be a very interesting year. Essentially, nothing is off the table for him. As he reminds them, his career is done. He's got nothing left to lose really and plenty to gain. I think that actually makes him more dangerous than ever.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, this felt more like an inaugural SOTU -- minus the achievement summary.

Ghost and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  7. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

Like many presidents, he has someone to pass a torch to (assuming Hillary Clinton runs), but he wants to frame some of the terms of the upcoming campaign more than Reagan or Bill Clinton did for their potential successors.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I also think he wants to make sure Democrats don't run away from him like they did in 2014 -- both in terms of his own legacy, but also because he wants them to continue his vision and not offer something else (say, 90s Clintonianism). That's why he opens with his achievements, but then goes onto things left to do -- many of which I'm sure he doesn't expect will actually get through Congress, so he can give his successors a playbook to use.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I really like the look of that large tanned leather chair behind Obama. Oh wait, that was Boehner.

10. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Where was this guy the last six years?

Underneath the "feel-good" aspects of his speech though, I have to wonder just how aggressive he's going to be, vs. allowing the Republicans to self-destruct trying to figure out the best way to stop him.

I've noticed no-one's mentioned Joni Ernst's response yet. Couple of highlights:

1) She framed the GOP as hoping for compromise from Obama, which is what Obama said about them.
    2) She tried to make it sound like Obama's use of a veto threat on Keystone, or Obamacare, or anything else would be construed as a hostile act. Reading between the lines, that means they're already digging in for a fight with the blame game. That does NOT bode well for things that could really hurt ordinary Americans, such as the Debt Ceiling fight or the Medicare Sustainable Growth Rate formula for physicians (the failure of which to fix could put a serious damper in patient access to doctors).
    3) She called Obama out on not being willing to restrict abortion.

That last one, IMHO, tells me that the GOP is going to be spending the next two years campaigning, whilst Obama is going to try and spend the next two years governing (or at least try to). IMHO, this is a recipe for disaster. We have two cars careening down the highway towards one another at high speed, waiting to see who's gonna blink.

2015 might just be the year of the collision. I hope I'm wrong.

Peace,

V-03

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Jindal whiffed badly when he had his chance to be the GOP's golden boy. Ever since then he just makes himself look worse and worse.

My one main takeaway from last night was that Republicans would have the White House right now if they'd had a candidate who was half the political athlete Obama is.
    Not that he's been on a huge winning streak recently of course but I think that's more event driven.

He's rejecting the Republicans back to half court on their sarcastic applause... How far back would we have to go to find a GOP nominee who could do that (Romney, McCain, GWB, keep going).

14. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Jindal whiffed badly when he had his chance to be the GOP's golden boy. Ever since then he just makes himself look worse and worse.

My one main takeaway from last night was that Republicans would have the White House right now if they'd had a candidate who was half the political athlete Obama is.
    Not that he's been on a huge winning streak recently of course but I think that's more event driven.

His rejecting the Republicans back to half court on their sarcastic applause... How far back would we have to go to find a GOP nominee who could do that (Romney, McCain, GWB, keep going).

15. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013
  16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Please no.

The fun we would have as she's goes for it but the world would be screwed if she managed to get in.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm watching an interview with Marco Rubio.

The one thing I'll give the guy credit for is his ability to laugh at himself.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    lol @ that Jindal tweet

guy's just sore that his terrible SOTU response a while back nuked his political career

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So Mitt Romney is saying he'll make fighting climate change and poverty some of his top priorities?

22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Tax breaks!

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah let's riddle the tax code with more credits, loopholes, exemptions. Just what we need.

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    What does it say about the country that a man who insulted tens of millions of people at once still has reason to believe he can get a major party nomination?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.