main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Josh what do you think of the Clinton email scandal? Seems like it's gaining some traction, although I don't think it's going to last, especially given that many of the GOP candidates running for governor have had a mountain of email issues from their own past.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It's a great example of the divide between Washington conventional wisdom and most everyone else. I don't think most people care, and it will be forgotten in short order.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Let's be clear here: "scandal"

4. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    What's true for Walker is largely true of Clinton as well-- the things that drive conservatives into a rage about her don't register with most Democrats.

5. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I'm on the fence here (in regards to its impact).

I think she's such a known quantity that it won't change anyone's minds, but it may hurt with those who are still on the fence.

What concerns me here is the use of a private server. If it wasn't secure, she may have put the country, however inadvertently, at risk. That will potentially resonate with both heartland voters and suburban swing voters. A lot will depend on who the GOP eventually puts up, but they're not going to let this go. It's a potential gold mine, especially what's IN the emails (although I don't think there are any smoking guns).

If she's smart, she'll officially declare soon and start stumping on this. If I were her, I'd use this as yet another example of what's gone wrong with Washington. The fact that soundbyte politics, dysfunction, and the need-to-win have gotten so out-of-hand could be a powerful explanation as to why she felt the need to take this potentially illegal step. I don't think she intended to jeopardize anyone, but she needs to explain her thoughts. Simply trying to rise above it won't work.

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Jay-- I promise you, no one will care. This is not going to be something that moves any true independent voter. "Well, I was going to vote for Hillary, but she used her own private email server, so that's out now." It's just not going to happen that way.

Clinton is the Democrats' version of Walker, and just as Democrats can get unhinged about him, we know from decades of experience what happens to many Republicans toward her.

7. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Not by itself, no, but if she compromised national security in any way, it will create a story that will reach well beyond the conservative blogosphere.

Check out politico. Several articles have been posted privately voicing key Democrats' concerns over this. It feeds into a broader narrative, that she's a creature of the past, that she would be well-advised to get in front of, and soon.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Colin Powell was Secretary of State when we got involved in one pretty justified war and one pretty unjustified war and used private emails for everything not to other directors, pretty much the same.

There's zero fallout. None. and his security was arguably more important at the time.

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

It's unfortunate that Beezer is so anti-Clinton and anti-Democratic in general, because his view of inflation-gate matches what I think could turn out to be the case with Clinton's email-- it may reveal that a lot of politicians have done either the same thing themselves, or something similar. I'dl be interested in knowing how many influential politicians are hoping that this goes away yesterday, because they're afraid of what more reporting will turn up about other people.

Check out politico. Several articles have been posted privately voicing key Democrats' concerns over this. It feeds into a broader narrative, that she's a creature of the past, that she would be well-advised to get in front of, and soon.

If it wasn't this, it would be something else. Clinton has no shortage of enemies within the party who are willing to snipe at her privately-- just not publicly. The one thing I think is legitimate as a concern is what Jonathan Chait wrote about, which is that it could point to her struggle to surround herself with smart people, and whether she can run a good campaign.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think that's just it KnightWriter. She has yet to prove she's good enough at campaigning for herself as prez(did plenty good for her husband and others).

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I would dispute that, ShaneP. That homestretch in 2008, when Obama was the presumptive nominee and rolling towards the nomination, yet Clinton's campaign kept their heads to win Ohio, Texas, Pennsylvania, and five more states really showed me what Hillary and that campaign were made of. It may get forgotten in history, but it was a memorable aspect of that election year for me, and very impressive work on her part.

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Except it was too late by then, and it was too late in part because Clinton's campaign team didn't bother with knowing how the caucus delegate system worked, and busied themselves more with knifing each other in the back. David Axlerod's memoir shows just how important it was to Obama that his own team treat each other respectfully, and avoid drama.

By the time Clinton found her footing (which came in part because she ditched Mark Penn, who is one of the more malevolent presences in modern politics), it was too late for her to win.

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah it was too late and she put people in charge that took her from shoe-in to has-been. It was hers to lose and she snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. That's why dems behind the scenes are anxious about her this time out. I wouldn't be shocked if this email thing was being pushed from inside the party.

KnightWriter likes this.
  14. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I think Jim Webb would be a hard man for Scott Walker or almost any Republican to attack. Not enough is being said about him. Webb took down George Allen in 2006, which was a hard climb even with Allen's infamous own goal comment.

Vaderize03, ShaneP and dp4m like this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yes, all she has done since then is learn from her mistakes, perform as a widely-respected SecState to get out of her husband's shadow at the Federal level, and laugh at her critics while being bulletproof.

I'm struggling to see the downside... :p

heels1785 likes this.
  16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

That they're still talking about this email nothingness in the MS press is the downside.

KnightWriter wow…there's a guy I hadn't considered but, yeah, Webb could go toe to toe with Walker. I still would like to see Warren. People think she's too liberal. Yeah, she's progressive. But, it would be refreshing to see the two square off.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

But the AMERICAN PEOPLE don't care. Those that do wouldn't have voted for her anyways -- she'll still crush most people in a debate, has a record better than basically any candidate already named (or potentially)...

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The American people don't choose the nominee. Partisans do. Did she crush Obama in a debate? She hasn't locked the nomination.

Senator Bob Menendez to be charged with corruption:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/06/politics/robert-menendez-criminal-corruption-charges-planned/

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Not terribly surprised. Trouble seems to follow him around.

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Didn't this sink Corzine too?

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think Corzine's biggest troubles have come since he lost to Christie and exited government. I think his scandal of choice was consumer theft.

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yeah I couldn't remember what happened to him. Interesting.

23. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I think you nailed it, Josh.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Impressive speech by the President in Selma.

Good to see President and Mrs. Bush there, as well.

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.