main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Politically savvy move by Reid, Sandoval would have thumped him by double digits. There is a Republican to watch over the next few election cycles - doubt that any politician from Nevada is without their skeletons, but they seem to like him.

2. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    The Senate landscape is more than just the raw numbers of Democrats vs. Republicans. Like him or hate him, Harry Reid has been a very effective leader for the Democrats, both when they were in the majority as well as when they have been in the minority. Losing his leadership in the Senate will have real effects on how the Democrats respond to things in the future.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Reid endorsed Schumer for Senate Minority Leader so I expect things to stay the same in terms of effectiveness with a bit more of Schumer's bombast. However his ties to Wall Street worry me and I dislike Schumer for other reasons. The other main challenger is Dick Durbin, the Minority Whip, though I don't know too much about hi.

4. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999

The October Surprise gem?

Completely discredited by the United States Senate, at the time run by Democrats.

C'mon... I thought you were better than that.

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001

You have to look at who they were up against in those elections, too. J-Rod.

Also: Romney brought out 60% of the white vote for him--a number that Reagan achieved to win an election and still lost his ass. It has nothing to do with being soft or a hard conservative, but how good they look next to their competition.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Thank god Reid is leaving. Maybe he can secure some more real estate deals for his kid before he steps down? Reid was a MINO(Mormon in name only). :p

But the senate dem. leadership is in capable hands with either Schumer or Durbin. Can we maybe have a woman run this time?

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The law is now signed isn't it? So time for those consequences to follow.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Durbin cowtowed, it'll be Chuck. I imagine Durbin is seething, though - he's been patiently waiting in that second spot for a very long time.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Sorry, but I felt like I had to post this.

:oops:

Repeat after me. Separation of church and state.

10. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    She doesn't understand why her comments "might offend" some people?

What. An. Idiot.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    State legislatures, seldom regarded by their own constituents, are often full of psychos and idiots. Yawn.

12. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    That lady from Arizona spouted some grade A derp, but she's really powerless.

I also hope Ted Cruz does make the GOP primaries a purity contest. Not because I think it should be a one choice presidential race, but because the next president should be someone that doesn't cater to the derp squad.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Local and state governments have more impact on the daily lives of Americans than the Federal government does. The one state senator may have very little power and what she proposes would be immediately killed in court if it got that far, but the majority of the state legislature in Arizona has tremendous influence on Arizonans. And most people don't know who their state representatives even are.

14. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Yes, but you see, she's only one voice and seeing how everyone has dogpiled onto her statement, she's never going to wield any real power to make it law.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

lol @ misleading headline "Senator: Church attendance..." you mean "State Senator"?

16. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Saw Mike Pence on This Week today. George Stephanopoulus kept asking him whether or not the new law allowed discrimination against gays, and he steadfastly refused to answer, responding instead with repetitious platitutes about protecting the liberty of all Hoosiers.

What a jerk. He really came across badly. It'll be interesting to see what the NCAA does.

Peace,

V-03

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Pence comes from that long line of middling republican congressmen.

Call it the Boehner school.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Fiorina is as big a joke as the rest of them.

Ghost likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

True, but she's also a tech sector darling and will lock up a lot of that money. We'd been hearing for the last five years an IT-private sector person would likely be jumping in but I honestly never expected her...

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    She couldn't even win a senate election in CA.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, I am under no circumstances thinking she will end up winning. OR even placing or showing. But much like Warren would have essentially to Kickstarter a campaign because not one single bank will put money up for her, Fiorina might lock up enough of the tech sector money to at least hurt Hillary vs. whomever the Republican candidate ends up being.

23. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Perhaps, but I doubt enough to lose.

You're assuming she'll steal a substantial portion of the women's vote, and I doubt that would actually happen. She's a Republican, with all the baggage on the national stage which that entails.

Peace,

V-03

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No?

Money. Just money.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's actually pretty sad that "don't piss off the big banks" has become a requirement to get anywhere in national politics.

I don't see Fiorina stealing a big portion of the women's vote, and wasn't Hewlett Packard less than impressive when she was running it anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.