main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I hope that today finally puts a death knell to the shameful, self-servingly exculpatory "only Nixon could open China" line. Let us forever bury the notion that evil is a prerequisite to any good. What was needed then was not Nixon's fear-mongering and criminality, nor is what's needed now bloodthirst and war-mongering. What is required is skill and moral courage. And when they write the histories of this moment, let it be said not that we were successful, but that we exhausted ourselves in diligent, earnest, and effective work, reaching for the dream of peace. May we repudiate those who talk excitedly of how their ends justify the means, casting them aside for those with the integrity and skill to realize the two in harmony. Long live Barack Obama.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    "Only a secret Muslim president could deal with Iran" has such a nice ring to it, though...

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/04/06/3643268/ted-cruz-threatens-take-away-supreme-courts-power-decide-marriage-equality-cases/]Ted[/url] Cruz is far more dangerous than people think.

While this has very little chance of ever becoming law, to even go down the road of invoking Article III, Section 2 of the Constitution is to court real chaos. As the author points out, just about any issue under the sun will then become fodder for removal from judicial challenge. It is, in effect, removing the Court as a third branch of government, leaving it back in its pre-Madison role of settling disputes between the states or the states and Washington.

Of course, I'm sure he'd disagree that such reasoning could undo Citizens United[/link}, but certain would support using it to end Roe.

I hope someone picks up on this and castigates him for it. I'd love to watch him try and justify it.

Peace,

V-03

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, going back to pre-Marbury v. Madison would also significantly affect the Executive Branch in principle as well...

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A Republican presidential hopeful, ladies and gentlemen.

8. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    She has a legit point. Oftentimes environmentalists interfere with the very programs designed to solve environment-based problems. As the article mentions, the most prominent example in California is the Sacramento-San Joaquin delta tunnel project which would provide a lot of relief to people who need it the most.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The tunnel project would not result in increased water deliveries during this drought. It was originally proposed during non-drought years as an alternative to the current water extraction methods from the delta and now it's just been rebranded by its proponents as drought relief.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I don't think "moral courage" and Barack Obama can be used in the same sentence.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Jabba-wocky, how do reconcile your praise of Mr Obama - terms such as "integrity" and "moral courage" - when the man refuses to acknowledge the Armenian Genocide? A promise he made in 2008?

He has no integrity. Nor moral courage.

-Jedi Joe- and ShaneP like this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I said that his act with regards to Iran showed moral courage. It either did or it did not. There's nothing to reconcile. Sometimes and in some contexts people act in ways that are contradictory. One can admire MLK's moral leanings on civil rights while still admiring that his affairs were not the sort of behavior one hopes to emulate. One can praise Churchill's stand against Nazism while also noting his disgustingly racist sentiments against many native populations in the British Empire. Once we advance beyond grade school, we tend to accept that people are too complex to be fit into simple, Manichean rubrics.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    He issued a press release in 2008, saying:

"Two years ago, I criticized the Secretary of State for the firing of U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, John Evans, after he properly used the term 'genocide' to describe Turkey's slaughter of thousands of Armenians starting in 1915. I shared with Secretary Rice my firmly held conviction that the Armenian Genocide is not an allegation, a personal opinion, or a point of view, but rather a widely documented fact supported by an overwhelming body of historical evidence. The facts are undeniable. An official policy that calls on diplomats to distort the historical facts is an untenable policy. As a senator, I strongly support passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.106 and S.Res.106), and as President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide"

These were his words, Wocky. Yet he has broken his word for nearly 7 years straight now. This is not a man of conviction, it's a political operator whose beliefs and causes can be bought, sold and traded. He is a charlatan, but one you happen to have bought into more than others.

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    You aren't even reading carefully. He said that he would recognize it "as President." He's still President. So long as he recognizes it at any time while in the Presidency, his promise is fulfilled. This is a bit like people who complained that Obama hadn't passed healthcare reform on his first week in office. Sorry that there's more than one thing to do at a time.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yet, he has had opportunities to recognise it and hasn't.

Because he has no conviction. He's just like every other president.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  16. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Okay.

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

Do I see a tear?
    Looks like you're buying into the party line lock, stock and barrel. You even sound like Barry! Getting all heavy-handed, pontificating about how future generations look upon you.
    While you're busy congratulating yourself, maybe you can throw in the drone program and the lack of military accountability?
    And then tell us again how ends and means are realized in harmony.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't wait until debate season.

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So not only is Rand Paul running, but McCain is running too.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    OOPS. McCain is runing for Senate again. Move along. Nothing to see here.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So he was including his as-yet hypothetical second term? Does it also include his potential third, fourth, and fifth terms in case of a constitutional amendment?

You can't say a second term counts for a first-term promise, nor can you honestly compare foreign policy (which is his sole purview) to legislation.

I mean, you can, if you're not at all concerned with credibility.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The simple fact is, Mr Obama lied and he took one of the greatest crimes of the 20th century, played to the feeling of injustice the Armenians continue to feel due to Turkey's blithe dismissal of the severity of their crimes, and used them for his own political gain. Mr Obama is a terrible character with absolutely no conviction to speak of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.