main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    He cost Gore the election, Evan. There's no getting around it. It's just math, and also common sense. Whatever Gore's failings were as a candidate, they would have been moot if Nader hadn't been running. A lot of people dead today would be alive if Gore had run without Nader siphoning votes from him.

You think she's really going to do much about that in office, barring massive outside pressure?

Yes. It's an ideal bipartisan meeting around. Look what just happened in Nebraska. That's the death penalty, not mass incarceration, but we could go further and look at places and people on the Republican side that have spoken out against mass incarceration.

Edit: The "lesser of two evils" is the way our system is set up. That's just how it is. If we don't want it to be that way, we need to switch to a parliamentary system. I share your ideals, Evan, but not your willingness for protest votes or talk without recognizing reality. If Clinton is the nominee in 2016, you better believe I'll vote for her. No hesitation whatsoever. She'll nominee liberal Supreme Court justices and we'll all be better off for it.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    and if gore had been a better candidate nader running would have been moot. you can do this in circles all day.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's stupid partisan nonsense to blame an outside actor for something that was Gore's own fault. And there's no reason to think that Gore wouldn't have bungled into a few poor-people-murdering situations of his own (like continuing the sanctions on Iraq, for example). It's something that both parties do very well.

EDIT after tom's like: I compromise on my ideals every day. I don't have a choice. Otherwise I'd pretty much starve to death (thanks for my food, abused migrant workers). At some point I decided to not accept compromise-- or at least try to avoid it-- when I do have a choice.

4. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'll just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    This was a funny op-ed. Apparently what Lindsey Graham and Mark Kirk have presented as the demands of a "better deal" with Iran than what Obama has been able to achieve is actually less stringent than the terms the administration has won in the current framework that they're criticizing. Meaning that, as the article puts it, either they're on Iran's side or they don't know what they're talking about. [face_laugh]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The problem was not that Gore did not win, because he did not lose.
    The problem was (and is) that not enough people vote for another party.

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I agree with Watto. The insane Republicans and lame Democrats are a diarchy that we have outgrown. It would be nice if both could be replaced.

9. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    For that to happen, we would need to:

1) Eliminate the Electoral College
    2) Overturn Citizens United and constitutionally limit the amount of money spent in our elections
    3) Go to an open primary process for all political parties, which would help dilute the crazy to a more tolerable level.

I see about as much chance of that happening, however, as Lord Sidious winning an election as a write-in candidate.

Peace,

V-03

10. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Republicans would vote for Lord Sidious. He said the magic words: "I love democracy; I love the Republic." They'd eat that up.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd vote for Lord Sidious as well.

HL&S and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Throw in a "I love God" and "I love guns" and you've got yourself a GOP frontrunner!

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Sad news tonight, Vice President Biden's son, Beau, passed away from brain cancer. Biden previously lost his first wife and daughter in 1972.

Brutal.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    :(

My thoughts to the Biden family.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember hearing him speak in 2008; I liked him. And had no idea he was sick. :( Brain cancer is a terrible way to go.

16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    That's sad. I echo what Juliet and Anakinfan said. I love Biden and his family.

17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    this is very sad

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

Beau Biden: Veteran, Attorney General, and Time Traveler.

Good job CNN. Always in haste to be the first to get news out; never double checking or editing, no matter the story.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Rogue_Follower likes this.
  20. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Prayers to the Biden family.

Beau was too young.

Peace,

V-03

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    An even more uncharitable interpretation of that CNN mistake is they had a pre-written obituary for Beau, and, in their haste, forgot to fill in the year of the date. Note that they've gotten in trouble with their collection of pre-obituaries before. They're lucky they didn't have it written as 201X, or it'd really be obvious.

Very interesting link. I read SCOTUSblog on occasion, but I missed this entry and it's a great look behind the scenes.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I still have the headline saved as a pic under "Dewey Beats Truman" on my PC.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Can Democrats win back the Deep South?

This is good, and optimistic.

A couple of points on the paragraph on North Carolina: Gov. McCrory is pretty moderate as far as Republicans go. We had a string of criminally corrupt Democrats for awhile (and I do mean criminally corrupt, a few are serving jail time), and the backlash produced a wave of unchallenged bat**** crazy Republicans, who have, as the article said, gone further than the general public wants. I've been telling people for years not to judge all of us by what you've seen caricatured on The Daily Show or SNL, as much as the caricatures are accurate for the extreme bat**** crazy wing and some of the politicians.

The Moral Monday protests are a backlash against the regressive insanity and are still going on.

I think level-headed fiscal conservatism has a better chance as a platform for the GOP than regressive homophobic sexism.

24. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    you know half my politicians in upstate NY could easily move down to the south and do so much better then southern republicans. And I am not talking about Upstate democrats I am talking about upstate republicans.

Hey, they might be carpet baggers but they aint bat crap crazy.

25. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Our republicans are moderates that I am sure the tea partiers would flip out about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.