main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
  2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Well, barring a miracle for the authoritarians, the Patriot act is going to go the way of the dodo.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Every news outlet has pre-written obituaries for famous figures, especially those who are likely to die. I didn't know he had brain cancer, but then again I don't keep up with that sort of thing.

4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    This is very likely going to destroy Rand Paul's GOP nomination chances, especially if there's another terrorist attack between now and 2016.

It's also a political gift for HRC, who can paint herself as a champion of the watered-down USA Freedom Act (or whatever its called), while the rest of the GOP engages in their circular firing squad. Regardless, none of the libertarians who are Rand Paul's main base of support are ever going to support Hillary regardless, so she has nothing to lose.

She can also come across as more reasonable than Sanders or O'Malley, who may risk running too far to the left on this issue and alienate moderate voters. It's still primary season, but as Rand is demonstrating, it's never too late to sabotage your party for the general election.

Peace,

V-03

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    God I hope Joe Biden pulls through this. That's just brutal.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This will help him greatly in the 18 open primaries, in which independents and Democrats can vote for him.

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001

I'm really broken up about Rand Paul's chances, truly.

Vaderize03 and VadersLaMent like this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Very few did apparently, the family kept the fact that he had cancer very close to the vest until he died last night.

9. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    We don't need another Bush.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    No, it's not going to be Jeb Bush. He made sure of that with his disastrous Iraq invasion answer. It wasn't just the answer that was telling, it was the obvious lack of thought beforehand, followed by the clumsy attempt at damage control. If he somehow wins the nomination, that answer will be used in ads by the Democratic nominee. I would bet a decent sum of money that Clinton's team is working on an ad using it, if they haven't already finished it by now.

The complete lack of people running to Jeb's defense shows how shallow his support is, and how much he relies on name recognition. When things get rough in the nominating process, he won't make it through.

Vaderize03 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The problem is someone has to be the front runner and it has to be someone that independents at least think might be sane. We all remember the anyone but Romney voters, but in the end, they got stuck with Mitt. So who is the 'sane' one going to be? Bush appears most mentally stable of the current clown car. Now granted, Rick Perry was once considered a contender so who knows who might emerge, but Bush is probably in it for the long haul even if he doesn't get the nomination in the end.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It'll likely either end up Jeb Bush or Rand Paul for the reason cited above. Both appear the most sane (even if Paul's views align more often with the Tea Party).

14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    We are seriously in trouble screwed if Rand Paul is considered sane by the majority of the electorate.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    He just barely gets himself above the Ted Cruz level of Tea Party sanity and some of his views may well appeal to independents and democrats who with have libertarian leanings.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Democrats should not have libertarian leanings in the first place. That is one of the most toxic philosophies on the Earth today.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  17. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Not necessarily, Jabba.

I think it's perfectly fine for government to stay the hell out of women's health and gay marriage, myself.

Peace,

V-03

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Where does Scott Walker rank on the Sanity Scale?

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It is so odd to have to agree with Rand Paul about anything, but it's happened before on foreign policy issues. The man knows how to pull off a fantastic campaign stunt. Too bad he's such an awful, awful human being.

Juliet316 and Darth Guy like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Never trust a candidate with two first names.

21. Hanyou

Hanyou Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 2005
    First time on this side of their forums. Guessing libertarianism and conservatism aren't popular here.

What's toxic about the non-aggression principle?

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Conservatism (in pure form, not modern terms) is fine. But believe libertarianism doesn't believe is governmental intervention in many things that even conservatives would be for, if funded?

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Who should Clinton pick as her VP?

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't want to speak for JW, but I suspect what he's getting at is that libertarianism is typically correlated with the idea of keeping what you have, and making sure that no one takes it away from you. I'm not sure how else to say it, so I'll just say it-- libertarianism is highly common amongst whites, particularly those who are well off. Basically, plz don't use government money for stuff (i.e. my money, they say, in the form of taxes), particularly not those other people who didn't work as hard as me, etc. Hands off also means no help for those who need it, which is a considerable number in society today.

Libertarianism is fine in theory, but in practice it has some issues. I didn't make my points too articulately, but I hope what I'm getting at makes sense.

Libertarianism in the form of keeping out of women's reproductive decisions is great, and so on. I agree with that. But I think that's less libertarianism and more just good policy.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Fightin' Joe Biden!

Butreally, probably more someone like Jim Webb?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.