main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

? Why 14.5? Already seems too complicated. :p

Any mentions of exemptions for lower income earners or an EITC?

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm not going to do any wagering. I find being back in this position again to be similar to having a dream about being back in high school, only it's real. The entire point of everything in 2012 was to finish this once and for all, or so I thought.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, does he want it on goods and services too, or is he cutting the Federal budget in 1/2 or 2/3 to accommodate the lost revenue for his budget balancing?

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think we all know how much Paul and similar Republicans want to cut programs.

5. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    It's easy for them to advocate things that have zero chance of passing (thanks in no small part to the same people who are likely to vote for the GOP nominee).

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

It sure is

8. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Two points:

1) King v. Burwell is the Obamacare subsidies case, not the same-sex marriage case. You are thinking of Obergefell v. Hodges, dp4m.

2) The Court has 11 rulings left to issue for this term, which ends on June 30. Occasionally, they have stretched into July by a day or two, but that is the exception, not the rule. They announce orders (such as what cases they are taking for the next term) at 9:30am Eastern on Mondays, and then release rulings a half hour later at 10:00am. Usually, they will announce on Mondays in June if they will have additional releases of opinions later in the week (as they did yesterday) at that time. They might release a single ruling or a large batch (yesterday they released 6). Parties are not notified when their ruling is going to be released, they have to wait like everyone else.

When they announce the rulings, they go in reverse order of seniority, ending with the Chief Justice. So, if Kagan wrote a majority opinion, she always goes first. If Alito is the next person to read an opinion, that means that Sotomayor did not write an opinion being released that day. For more details, I recommend checking out SCOTUSBlog. They provide the best real-time coverage of the releases that I've found.

Jedi Merkurian and Vaderize03 like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, the government always spends too much money. Except when it doesn't spend enough money on programs he likes.

10. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    Hold on a moment.

If you look at the positions that Rand Paul has taken, he's always been fairly explicit that he doesn't support spending on programs beyond the scope of powers granted to Congress in Article I Section 8. Anything beyond that should be left to the states under the Tenth Amendment. Most of the social programs are not explicitly authorized in the Constitution, but defense spending is so authorized.

He's not picking and choosing based on what he likes or doesn't like. He has a rational and consistent framework that differentiates between the different types of programs. You might disagree with that framework, but that doesn't make his position hypocritical.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If that is his position, he and others who share his views might want to stop framing their arguments that way, as opposed to prattling on about what the government "can't afford" and then advocating for spending increases in the area where the government already allots a great percentage of its budget.

Thinking federal social programs are unconstitutional is a very different argument than thinking the federal government can't afford them.

Looking for another thread to discuss the fact that "defense" spending has become less about actually defending our country (which I fully support, and who the hell wouldn't) and more about saving other countries from themselves.

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

I'm well aware of SCOTUSblog-- I just couldn't find any mention of when a ruling is likely to be announced. Thank you for the info.

13. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    Most of that information is found in their current FAQ. The rest you can get from their explanations in the LiveBlog they did of the rulings yesterday. I know I cut a bit out in an attempt to summarize.

14. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Word is coming in tonight that a deal has been reached with Iran.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/politics/iran-nuclear-deal/index.html

17. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Good news, but the real battle is with Congress. Iran was always going to back down. They only needed a face-saving exit that portrayed them as not having been completely whipped, although I'm not sure they got that here. They conceded too much for that. Not that I disagree with any of the parameters reached. The leaders in Iran should thank their lucky stars that they're dealing with a pragmatic administration in the White House, frankly. But Congress now has two months to mull over this agreement during primaries, and Netanyahu is being a sour puss as usual. A lot can happen to screw this up.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That's good I guess.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

It needs a two-thirds majority to get in the way of the deal-- that's not going to happen.

20. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    The Democrats have an enormous opportunity here to look like the adults in the room.

You can be damn sure every GOP candidate running for the nomination is going to portray not only Obama, but the entire party as weak for backing this deal. To counter this, the Dems need to ask the American people, directly, if they're ready for a war with Iran, one which will be protracted and likely involve ground troops.

More importantly, all the Dems running (especially HRC) need to point out that a GOP victory in 2016 is likely a vote for war with Iran, much in the same way W's victory in 2003 paved the way for invading Iraq.

Peace,

V-03

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It would be kind of tough to take a principled stand against limiting Iran's ability to get nukes, which, by the time Congress' time rolls around is going to be what the vote will be about.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Uh...

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    His victory in convincing people that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction?

24. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm pretty sure he just made a typo and was referring to 2000.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Except 2000 didn't "pave the way." The carte blanche Bush was given to attack any Muslim-majority country after 9-11 did. As I've said before, Clinton was already maintaining a murderous policy toward Iraq and it wasn't an issue in 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.