main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    As long as the debt ceiling gets raised in time, then I have no issues.

It was definitely fun to watch, though.

Peace,

V-03

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I can't really congratulate him. What he's doing is the right thing for the moment, but it's A)incredibly belated and B)directly a consequence of his own previous actions. He recruited these members, did massive fund-raising for them, chose to embrace an incredibly radical and conspiratorial program of messaging for the Republican Party as a whole, and spent the next several years both acquiescing to plans he knew to be not only unworkable but outright harmful (eg 2013 shutdown) and making victory laps about these same policies after the fact (eg "I got 99% of what I wanted" after the debt ceiling crisis). One instance of reasonable behavior doesn't make up for all that.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I understand, Wocky, and agree with you to some extent. I am just intrigued as to what this coming month will entail, and how Boehner may wield his Speakership in this last month to retaliate against the Tea Party, who is now actively raising money through their organizations off of the notion that the Tea Party "forced" Boehner out:

[​IMG]
    (Madison Project)

[​IMG]
    (FreedomWorks)

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Agreed. He's been an enabler. Maybe we'll learn about some scandals he swept under the rug while he was speaker, much like we did with Hastert. I imagine he'll cry some more on television or something.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgia just executed a woman for the first time in 70 years, after pleas from her family and the Pope.

She conspired to kill her husband in 1997, a horrible act - the guy who committed the act got life in prison, she got death. She spent the last 20 years counseling other prisoners. And all that's left behind now are her grieving children. I hate the death penalty.

7. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Yes but at least we satisfied our righteous bloodlust (and yes that is sarcasm)

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    GOP Congressmen repeatedly interrupt Planned Parenthood president over the course of a five-hour hearing

I think they were afraid she might have a point. If their case was so rock-solid against her, why not let her speak uninterrupted?

Other than, of course, their mentality of "We Republican men are more important, now run along, sweetheart."

Also, on voter ID laws, It's all fun and games until Alabama closes DMV offices in its poorest, predominantly black counties

Nope, nothing to see here, move along...

Abadacus likes this.
  9. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Yeah, I donated to the Democrats after watching coverage of the hearings.

All white men grilling a lone woman. Way to grow the tent, GOP.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So the guy who embarrassed the GOP this week by revealing the true purpose of the Benghazi Committee (Kevin McCarthy), is now being challenged by the guy who embarrassed the GOP this week by an awful questioning of Planned Parenthood that became a self-inflicted wound (Jason Chaffetz).

Whoever embarrasses the GOP the most, becomes the next 2nd-in-line to the Presidency?

11. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    You're assuming that the GOP and their base have a sense of shame.

12. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    They have no shame. There is no bottom.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Kevin McCarthy unexpectedly DROPS OUT of the Speaker's race, which everyone thought he would still win in a landslide.

There's absolute chaos in the House right now. No one knows if Boehner might stay on after all, or if the GOP will be so divided that Nancy Pelosi might accidentally become Speaker, or what.

The definition of a political party means you follow a leader to pursue common political goals. The House GOP is no longer a party.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wow...that's unexpected. Holy moly.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Trey Gowdy. The fringe will try to draft him, I promise you.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    People are trying to draft Paul Ryan, but he's flat-out told them there's not a chance in hell he wants the job.

You know, just give it to a super-conservative Tea Partier. Maybe it's the only way they'll finally learn to govern, and not just protest everything.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm sure if I Googled for 10 seconds I could find out what Newt Gingrich thinks of all this.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    People are now suggesting Mitt Romney become Speaker.

[face_rofl]

19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    if by people you mean talking heads on tv

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Reap what you sow. The Southern Strategy made some rotten fruit.

22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

I couldn't have said it better.

Well, the Tea Party intimidated McCarthy, it appears. They'll drag things out infinitely and with as much controversy and extremism as possible...as usual.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Hannity: Gingrich should be chosen as Speaker

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2573731

8-}

I feel like I should be terrified that this is how the party in control of Congress continues to act, but it's so insane it's hilarious!

Will the voters ever wake up and get a Democratic majority back, though?

24. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Not until we default on the debt, which is a real possibility now.

Unless Boehner stays on or whomever becomes Speaker wants to work with the Dems, the country may be in for a world of hurt.

A Tea Partier in the Speaker's chair will be a disaster; they'll shut down the government just for spite.

This would be funny if it weren't so scary.

Peace,

V-03

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I was on the Bernie Sanders bandwagon but I don't like how he voted on gun laws so I am back on the Hilary Bandwagon plus she owned that town hall meeting last week !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.