main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You're post-racial, aren't you... :p

2. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    No.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The shenanigans are theater. The financial corruption is real and in both parties.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    There are people the have pushed or meaningful campaign finance reform in both parties. And while you're right that neither group, institutionally, is interested in eliminating it entirely, only one wants to push far beyond the previous status quo to a regime that is basically unrestrained. Republicans are uniquely to blame there.

Well, and Hillary Clinton has made some pretty egregious mockery of campaign finance laws this cycle, too, in ways even some of her Republican counterparts aren't copying.

5. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    This is a great article, but I want to reinforce Josh's comments on the Presidential issue.

Pennsylvania, where I live, is a perfect microcosm for his argument about the difference between local and national elections.

Statewide, Republicans are dominate in the rural counties, which far outstrip Philadelphia/Pittsburgh and their surrounding more Democratic counties in number, but lag well behind in population. In Presidential election years, Pennsylvania has trended more and more blue. In off-years, Republicans tend to do well. That's only part of the picture, however, as local Republicans in the Philly suburbs tend to look more like Democrats on social issues. We have Tea Party candidates (one of them ran for office in Montgomery County, where I live), but they tend to get trounced (she did). Interestingly enough, Democrats dominated statewide elections to fill the state supreme court, which is now 5-2 Democrat for the first time in years (and will likely remain so for years to come). This occurred, in part, due to corruption on the previously Republican-dominated court, which led to an advantage for the Democrats, reinforcing the point from the article that when one party screws up, the other often benefits.

It also goes to the larger question of proportional representation, which benefits lower-population areas in off-year elections (and hence Republicans) vs. what direct democracy might look like. If the electoral college and republic-foundation of our elections were ever to be changed in favor of direct democracy, the GOP would wither and die. Personally, I find the structures that keep them popular on the local and state level--as well the dichotomy between Presidential and off-year elections--fascinating.

2016? Could go either way. It will be turnout driven, and multiple factors will be in play. No way to predict at this point.

Peace,

V-03

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Washington State is very similar - geographically, the rural areas outnumber the urban/suburban and trend conservative GOP. Urban/suburban is the bulk of the population and trends Democratic (quite liberta Dems in Seattle proper, :p)

The "Seattle voters" outvote the rest of the state on most state-level and federal level candidates, to the on-going dismay of the rest of the state, who feel swallowed. Periodically, there's grumblings about how a small group is given disproportionate representation, when the truth is, the urban/suburban is more of the population and less of the geography distribution.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    "The People's Democratic Republic of New York City (except Staten Island)"

Hence, statewide vs. national.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If both institutions are corrupt, is there even a point in voting anymore?

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Outside of local elections (which affect your life far more than the President), no.

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You old curmudgeon. :p

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I vote for the Legalize Marijuana Now party anyway.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes. You get a sticker.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Yodaminch and Juliet316 like this.
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hate stickers.

Hank Hill and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You can partake in the glory of Barack Obama.

I don't really know about after he retires.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  16. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    you're a parody, and jabba woggles is real.

Coruscant likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Will the "ISIS has been contained" become Obama's "Mission Accomplished" blunder in light of Paris?

20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

More of this. Much needed.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Good question. I agree with Michael Scheuer that we should be neutral. As he put it, we should let the Sunni and Shia Muslims fight each other. It's none of our business. Don't get me wrong. I don't agree with Scheuer's past support of Ron Paul, but I deeply appreciated his opposition to the Iraq War when I was in high school.

22. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I think this is a good case for why you should vote, but vote for a candidate or party who genuinely aligns with your beliefs and interests, regardless of how obscure they are.

Gamiel and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    It won't because Obama was clearly talking about ISIS's geographic limits while Bush's Mission Accomplished was also predicates on finding WMD's.

24. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Won't stop the GOP from trying, though.

Peace,

V-03

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    How powerful is the GOP compared to 2008?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.