main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Wow. These kinds of poorly thought out statements are sadly no longer as surprising as they once would have been.

Ghost and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I know the line between politics is blurry these days (even more so for one such as yourself who has a sports team mentality to politics) but really. This should in the wacky news thread

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So a long list of businesses have come out against North Carolina's HB 2, which was enacted SUPPOSEDLY to keep transgender people from using the bathroom of the gender they identify with because pervs or something, but it also keeps cities and towns from enacting any type of laws against discrimination AT ALL.

Apple, Google, Bank of America, PayPal, and many others are on the list of businesses protesting this law, other cities' mayors have banned nonessential state-funded travel for their employees to North Carolina, and Charlotte may lose the NBA All-Star Game and the NCAA tournament.

Even the American Library Association has gotten involved.

Pat McCrory's response on his website and Facebook page has been to whine about "the radical left" and "the media" when 'he's just trying to keep men out of the bathrooms that little girls use' or something.

Because little boys never get perved on in the bathroom AND all trans people are pervs or something. Plus vast conspiracy.

Here's a thought: if multiple businesses, the media, and professional advocacy groups are saying this legislation is bad--maybe there is no conspiracy theory, maybe it really is bad, and maybe it is considered bad because it's not 1950 anymore, not because the "radical left" are in control. (And if the "radical left" are in control...well, it's not 1950 anymore.)

Jedi Merkurian and Vaderize03 like this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Wasn't Pat McCrory originally viewed as a moderate, anakinfansince1983? I thought I remembered you being optimistic about him, or some other liberal North Carolinian I know (which is actually a few lol). Is this a recent break from moderation from him, or has he been a disaster from the start?

6. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    anakinfan: Reagan was no better than the current crop--he simply possessed a charisma unmatched since JFK, which allowed the GOP to push through inhumane economic policies.

In addition to the transgressions you described, you must also take into account his bellicose Cold War rhetoric which helped ratchet up nuclear fears for the first time since the early 60s, as well as his administration's embrace of right-wing death squads in Central and South America (the chronicles of which are almost unbearable to read...watch Oliver Stone's Salvador for a taste).

Ronald Reagan was an utterly loathsome mouthpiece for the Radical Right, and the creatures on display today are his spiritual children.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He was; I liked him when he was mayor of Charlotte and had no real issue with him when he first got elected Governor. As I mentioned in one of the other threads, he has let the current General Assembly bully him. He initially told them to leave the Charlotte bathroom ordinance alone. When they refused, he told them to wait until regular session convened before addressing it. When they refused THAT and called an "emergency" session, he signed the bill into law immediately.

Ghost likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And the hits just keep on coming.

PayPal withdraws plans to expand in Charlotte in light of HB2

400 jobs gone. But Republican agendas are supposed to be good for the economy or something.

If the threat to withdraw federal funding is carried out, mranakinfan and I have a good chance of seeing our jobs jeopardized.

But who cares as long as businesses can fire people for being gay, amirite?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    They're bluffing.

11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Because companies don't have principles?

especially new and forward thinking ones.

They can easily find a new location and I can see many companies following suit.

12. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Nah. In real life, nobody cares. Or at least it isn't a big deal.

13. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    How is this a show of principles? It is simply appealing to the lowest common denominator without engaging in any sacrifice whatsoever. Please note that they are still gladly doing business in that state, and will continue to do so.

I would love to see a state pass a law that says to any business "if you boycott our state because of a law we pass, then we will not allow you to do business here." It'll never happen but if it did, you'd see all these corporate boycotts end immediately.

J-Rod likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Beezer -- you understand that you've basically described international sanctions, which Republicans support and want to keep doing in Cuba and Iran?

15. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I disagree with the premise that I am describing something akin to international sanctions.

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    It's a show of principles because they've stated that they won't create work in that state thus removing tax revenue but still enables them to do business within the state. They said they would do it and they have, similar to what some Hollywood type studios have done.

They've basically said we won't bring our corporation to a bigoted state. We'll do business there and will take in the revenue but we'll keep our infrastructure out. That to me is a principled stand.

It may only be 400 jobs but this state decision has now cost 400 people a job.
    Not a great decision for those 400 people.

I'm not familiar with how trade etc... works in the US so I'm not going to delve into the latter part of the point except to say that I very much doubt any state would look to cut out a potential major trading partner.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I disagree. A principled stand would be withdrawing from the state entirely.

What they've really said is "you people are so dirty that we won't invest in your community, but we will still gladly take your money." Where is the principle in that?

18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I can see where you're coming from with that point but I disagree that it's not principled. They have already invested in putting these jobs into the state so they will take a loss as a company.

It also sends a message. the "We won't invest in your community" stance is a direct message to the state saying they disagree with what they have done.

Bringing it back to the approach often raised by conservatives about choice, This (to me) is the equivalent of a customer refusing to buy something from an openly bigoted store. In this case this is a store that has just come out as being bigoted after being courted for trade and then being backed away from in disgust.

I, personally applaud them for backing away.

19. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Setting aside the fact that there is nothing bigoted about the law, a better analogy would be:

A customer who works as a plumber refuses to buy something from an openly bigoted store. But when that same store calls him to hire his services, he shows up with a smile on his face and gladly does the job. Where is the principle in that?

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How else do you describe a framework where in all citizens and business of a given area are legally forbidden doing business with certain other businesses, individuals, or states? That's literally what a sanction is.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The plumber is refusing to give them trade but isn't stupid enough to stop trade coming in to him.

I have no issue with that. I don't like you so I won't give you my hard earned cash but if you want to give it to me then fair enough.

And yes the law is bigoted. I don't know enough about transgender and the issues surrounding it so I'm not going to be drawn into the detail but when a law is introduced that treats people differently based on their dangly bits or lack thereof has prejudice behind it

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Because it is punishing the state and its potential tax base, not punishing private individual customers who have a choice to support Paypal or not. Why would Paypal target their customer base? They're targeting the state's tax base is what they're doing. Very clever.

You need to think things through more.

edit: Beez, I thought you were a libertarian?

23. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    In this hypothetical, the business has willingly, freely withdrawn from the given area, and is welcome to return at any time. As such, the denizens of the given area have collectively decided "if you will not do business with us, we will not do business with you" and incorporated that into law.

I just don't see that as analogous to international sanctions, which are a whole 'nother issue.

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You have the order of events backwards pardner.

25. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Exactly, hence there is nothing principled about his stand. He completely abandons his "principles" when he stands to lose financially.

It is pretty easy to be "principled" when you lose absolutely nothing, not so much when you stand to lose something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.