main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    David Duke cleared 5%

He now qualifies for the next Senate debate in Louisiana. This debate will be held at Dillard University, a historically black university.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why are they writing it now like it's some sort of ground-breaking opinion? Will they next opine that the Nazis are one the verge of losing World War II? That the US might be capable of reaching the moon?

4. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Exactly! Who really writes these off the wall articles?? All I know is the US main stream media is off the wall bonkers. They rarely discuss facts and would rather discuss their own ideals. Our media is based strictly off emotion without fact, as they distract you from something else being done in the background. Sadly our media is owned by the highest bidder(government).

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean, it's as sensationalist a title they could have reasonably used for the topic. As someone who doesn't know much about the "bridgegate" thing, I appreciated the information. But yes, I could have told you months ago that Christie was on a fast track to nowhere good.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I read an article saying that compulsory education was in part created in an attempt to indoctrinate the children of Catholic immigrants in the virtues of prohibition. At the time, many anti-Catholic Evangelicals believed that the Pope deliberately kept Catholics drunk so that he could influence them.

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    An article where? By whom? Compulsory education also existed in other areas that A)weren't under major threat of Catholic influence and B)weren't swept up a big Temperance fervor.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's the article: https://mises.org/library/transformation-american-party-system

9. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Why would you read something by a libertarian? That is your first, last, and most important mistake.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I just find the party systems, the Know-Nothings, and the origins of Trumpism interesting.

11. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Lol @ the idea that the US govt owns a large share of mainstream media.

And who do you suppose owns a large share of the US government?

12. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Lol @ the idea that mainstream media reports real news. Government is its own entity who controls whatever they see fit.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I did my first Wikileaks search of the Podesta email hack to look for namedrops of an acquaintance of mine, and indeed there are about 7 emails that mention him directly!!!! He is a bona fide Wikileaks minor bit player!!!

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah I think corporate control over the media is what the issue is, not government control.

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The government facilitates corporate control. The corporations can be stopped from these mergers through anti-trust action. They have good lobbyists.

16. Sauntaero

Jul 9, 2003
    Ergo, the same corporations that own the media own the government. We do not have anything close to state-run media, as AsperWhatsHisName claimed.

17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Sauntaero

Jul 9, 2003
    There is some serious ****ery going on up there. Great image & response.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    For the most part I'm not a fan of "safe spaces." That said, though, most everyone raging against "PC culture" is really saying "I want to be a racist homophobic misogynistic ***hole and have my racist homophobic misogynistic comments accepted as 'just a different belief system' and suffer no consequences."

That is not how the 21st century works.

21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Safe spaces are more prevalent at university than anywhere else. Most of these battles are being fought on campus. And they're not safe spaces from physical safety so much as places where people have their beliefs confirmed and not challenged in any way.

Sauntaero, in the U.S. is there a difference between corporate and government media? I can't tell.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Which I can't stand. Same with some of the ridiculous "trigger" warnings being forced on some college campuses.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah it's overboard in many. Not all of campuses are that bad but even some of the smallest schools have their own safe spaces, or as they like to call them, oasis lounges.

Yes, that's a real term.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Conversely, when I was going to college they had a "free speech green", right outside the Physics building. Funny thing, the only people that got to speak there were the truly obnoxious preachers that would be carrying on all day long.

25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Free speech greens are actually worse than safe spaces as they assume it is a cornered off space for free speech but the rest of campus is not. The classroom should be a place where that takes place as well as different common areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.