main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    And in today's Trump news that makes me want to vomit, Trump has tapped Linda McMahon for small businesses. Y'know if an asteroid had to hit, now would be the opportune time...

V-2 and Juliet316 like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh God, the McMahon's.... I mean, it's kind of disgustingly fitting for Trump, right?

V-2 and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Nothing surprises me at this point.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    solojones -- KC BBQ is the best, I agree, primarily for wet BBQ and burnt ends (this is not a non-compliment). Though nothing beats Texas for beef (dry ribs) and links, and Carolinas for pulled pork, or Memphis for wet baby-back ribs -- KC has the best "all-around" BBQ, imo. Also, they make some hella-good beef jerky.

5. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    So... how about that Scott Pruitt?

I'm having a hard time deciding between him, Flynn, or Price as the most dangerous appointment so far.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Eastern NC pulled pork. That is all.

As far as Trump picks, so far they are all bad, and Bannon makes them all look better.

Although, that said, the "**** all of you" does not get much louder than appointing an attorney suing the EPA on climate change to head the EPA.

Rumor has it around here that McCrory conceded the gubernatorial race only because Trump is going to make him an offer, possibly for Energy Secretary.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    i really should get into some betting pools on how fast Trump destroys the country. It may well be the only way to make money soon. For that matter, I best use something other than the dollar given how quickly its value may plummet.

Darth Nerdling and Poe loves Rey like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    With his education picks, I am fully expecting my job to be completely eliminated in a couple of years' time, so...

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Somewhat ironic (or not), but he is suing the Agency he is nominated to lead.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    My mom is increasingly happy that she retired from being a public school teacher, and now works part time for IB instead. I pity our teachers and other school workers a lot right now...

Yes, all-around. I believe that (plus the fact that you can't get burnt ends anywhere else, which is a crime) is why Bourdain crowned KC the best BBQ city overall. Also, I don't digest beef so well, so I don't mind missing out on that. Pork ribs, though... mmmmm.....

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

True, we live in a fact-free country now, but this is hard spin even for the GOP. The GOP control the entire government and the D's are pretty much marginalized. On top of that, when stuff like this happen, people automatically blame the President, which in this case is a Republican.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yet I had conversations and posted back even before 2012 that I was more worried about 2016, and hoped Hillary would run since I wasn't impressed with most of the other names being floated around then like O'Malley and Cuomo. I know what I said, I know what I believed, and I can even look at my old messages here and on Facebook messages. Disagree with it all you want, but it's not a lie. I don't deny that her entering made some of the others like Cuomo decide not to run, and others like Klobuchar and Gillibrand actually urged Hillary to run. But I still think the alternatives to Hillary were a weak bench, and shorter than the Republicans.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  13. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Hence "most dangerous appointment so far". The guy is a anti-climate hatchet-man.

Carson, while also having diametrically opposed views despite his soon-to-be jurisdiction, is at least incompetent.

On another pick from today, how about Branstad for China ambassador? I don't know enough about his past relations with the country to get a good read on the appointment. WaPo's article was interesting but not terribly informative.

14. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Ohio just passed a bill banning abortion at six weeks. It sentences physicians to up to a year in jail for performing the procedure or failing to check a pregnant woman for a heartbeat before performing any other procedure.

Given that some women don't know they're pregnant until well after six weeks, this law is begging for a court challenge. Of course, that's the whole point--overturn Roe.

Sigh.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But John Kasich is such a moderate.

Rew and MrZAP like this.
  16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I'm concerned in general. I'm going to become a teacher soon, and I'm apprehensive. On the other hand, I feel that more qualified liberals should become teachers to help improve the education situation.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ^ This is sort of bovine feces.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'm sorry? The DNC wasn't packed with Clinton supporters strategizing on how to sabotage the Sanders campaign if need be? She wasn't being unethically fed debate questions in advance? The whole debate schedule wasn't designed to disadvantage her opponents and ensure that they'd have minimum exposure and name recognition?

Right then.

Abadacus likes this.
  19. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Yep, I would say Roe is finished.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It hasn't been signed into law yet. Kasich has ten days. He has said he believes in exceptions for rape and to save the life of the mother. So it is possible he would veto it and send it back to the legislators, and ask that they add that provision. Or he could veto part of it. He has also said in the past that he is opposed to the bill. We'll see what happens.

If he signs it and you disagree with that, then you can criticize him if you like. But he could veto it still, or line-item veto abortion parts of it (that was actually an amendment to a bill on child welfare that had bipartisan support). Just don't preemptively assign actions to someone that they haven't taken. The legislative branch passed a law. The executive branch hasn't weighed in yet.

EDIT: Jeez, did no one here actually read any of the articles on this? "A bill was passed" isn't the same thing as "a bill became law." Don't you remember your Schoolhouse Rock?

darklordoftech and darthdrago like this.
  21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Even if a Kasich were a moderate at heart, what makes you think he would stand up to his right-wing base?

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I know Kasich hasn't signed it yet. Given that he flew back to Ohio during his Presidential campaign literally just to sign a bill defunding Planned Parenthood, forgive me if I assume the worst.

MrZAP likes this.
  23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

You gotta throw meat to the evangelical base even if you are not sincere about it. This is yet another example of the GOP's cynical play on pro life voters who are duped. This law wont stand up to a challenge and they know it. But they don't care about a real actual law. They just want to show that they made an effort no matter how flimsy and unworkable.

I've made it clear I am pro-life but six weeks, as you said before a woman is even aware she is pregnant, is ridiculous. Isn't it seven or eight weeks before any indication?

****ers. Ruining a genuine debate and poisoning the well.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Because he has said that he might oppose the bill? There's at least a chance, and so we should wait and see.

But you blamed this bill on Kasich alone, which is confusing since he hasn't weighed in yet.

While I disagree on completely defending Planned Parenthood, because they do perform other valuable services to women in need, I also don't personally want my tax money to go to funding abortions any more than I want it to go to executions or drone strikes. If an executive would sign a bill defunding those things, how would you feel? Maybe if you get that, you could understand how pro life people feel about their money going towards abortions.

As far as whether Kasich is a moderate or not... Well, I will only say that in the case of abortion, the US actually has the most extremely liberal laws in the western world. Almost every other developed nation has limits on abortion similar to the one Kasich signed in Ohio preventing abortions of viable pregnancies (usually past 20 weeks), with the exception of to save the life of the mother. So that's a moderate position with reference to the greater western world.

I'm not sure why it's considered a super right-wing thing in the US. To me, it seems like the exact kind of compromise the two sides can and should make on abortion. (In addition, as I've said before, the government should provide free neonatal care to all expectant mothers who want it, to help remove one of the main reasons women have abortions in the first place.)

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah but it's weird solojones because the law supposedly states it bans abotions when a babies heartbeat is first detected at six weeks.

Well Vaderize03 just said a woman doesn't even know she is preggers at six weeks(I always thought it was seven to eight).

So, how can you detect a heartbeat if there are no signs? Is it by accident? Is it signs of pregnancy at seven to eight yet you can find out you are pregnant before that? I didn't realize a baby was that far along at six weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.