main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    In your mind, what constitutes government waste?

3. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    the millions they spend on pensions and overpaid government contractors they hire, I know construction guys who say they make $20.00/ hr when they do regular jobs , but when they get government jobs they get paid $50.00/ hr for holding an orange flag.

4. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Terms like "overpaid" and "wasteful" are subjective determinations. What is wasteful to some, may not be wasteful to others.

But getting back on point, Trump got played by Carrier and he is setting a bad precedent going forward. The cost -benefit of those few jobs saved are not worth the tax breaks and other incentives that were given.

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Next 4 years will be boom times for people who already have plenty of money. The good news for the rest of us is that the rich are going to have even more disposable income to pay for foot massages and bikini waxes, not that those are fetishes of mine. Not at all.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    As someone whose job has been labeled "government waste" and who has been accused on this board of "not earning money," I don't want to hear about "government waste" until we lose our preemptive war fetish.

Those "government contracts" are made with private companies.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    True government waste is the cost of protecting Melania and Trump because they refuse to live full time in government housing.

8. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I think there is a definition of government waste in the "Fraud & Waste and Abuse" statutes.

9. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    The only war that was preemptive was Iraq in 2003 in my opinion since Vietnam. they doesn't sound like a fetish to me. I think we will have ZERO wars under Trump.

10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Thats because Trump will delegate world leadership to Russia.

11. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    I hope Russia helps in destroying ISIS.

12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Russia's involvement in Syria is about saving Asad's ass rather than destroying ISIL. Russia has no incentive to otherwise destroy ISIL, which largely targets Arab, European and US Interests.

13. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    When outlining government waste, the first thing that came to your mind was pensions? Why do I get the feeling that if Democrats had proposed cut in pensions, you'd be the first to scream at the top of your lungs in outrage?

14. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    Assad can't get Syria under total control until ISIS is eliminated.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Do you want Assad to get Syria "under total control," STARBOB?

V-2 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  16. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    Better him than have it under ISIS control, Liberals often say Iraq was better off under Saddam, so you should think the same about Syria and Assad.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's a strawman. Try arguing with the people you are actually having a conversation with.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    STARBOB I should?

And do you know how many Syrians Assad has killed?

Time to do a bit of research, STARBOB. Here you go.

19. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Many people would say that from a Western perspective Iraq was better off under Saddam because he acted as a counter-balance to Iran.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    So now you are in favor of removing leaders from countries that never attacked the US. Isn't that our preemptive fetish you hate?

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Maybe we should have retrained those Indiana workers to provide foot massages and bikini waxes specifically for the rich. Seems more efficient.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    STARBOB, I would ask that you stop assuming my positions and stating them as fact. You know little to nothing about my stances on this issue, or my politics in general, other than my distaste for the candidate you supported for President.

I've only asked you a series of questions, and as always, you choose to deflect.

I think you should do some research on the actions that Bashar al-Assad has taken against his people before you proclaim him a "better" option to anything, or anyone.

23. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Many liberals said that before going to war. You know, so we don't waste blood and treasure, not to mention hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians' blood, in a war that is sure to make things worse, supposedly to "liberate" them. After you've already gone in and made a mess, the only decent thing was to at least remove Saddam, otherwise a bunch of people have been killed on both sides, and billions of dollars spent for nothing.

If Russia is left to its own devices, it will target all opposition forces in Syria under the guise of combating ISIL. Only after the others are eliminated will they concentrate on defeating ISIL until no force is left to challenge the government, after which Assad's position in power will be secure and five years of civil war will have been for nothing.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I like heels a lot, but he and I are not the same person. I talked about the preemptive war fetish, he talked about Assad.

Again...try arguing with the people who are in the conversation instead arguing with "liberal poster" every time you see one of our user names.

25. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    I only see 3 options for Syria
    1) Assad takes control back.
    2) ISIS takes control of Syria
    3)the US has to intervene and take control like we did in Iraq.
    I'll take option 1 over the other 2. I know Assad is a bad guy, but their are other countries that have them and do horrible things to civilians, Just look at some of the tragedies in Africa where woman are captured as sex slaves, Somalia ruled by thugs who do god knows what to civilians, but we don't do anything about that either. I don't want another Iraq and Trump doesn't either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.