Senate The U.S. Politics thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
    Because they are in my view.

#RECALLCONGRESS #RECALLTHEPRESIDENT #RECALLCONGRESS #RECALLTHEPRESIDENT #RECALLCONGRESS #RECALLTHEPRESIDENT #RECALLCONGRESS
    Last edited by Juliet316, Dec 31, 2012
  2. George Roper Jedi Knight

star 4
  3. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    [IMG]

Seriously, go have a drink or unwind or something. Write to or call your congresspeople. Spamming that on a Star Wars message board does very little.
  4. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
    I have no idea? I thought I'd disabled linking.:confused:
  5. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Can you explain that view to me? Because as I remembered it:

1. House Republicans refused to raise the debt ceiling, bringing us so close to economic collapse and airing such wild arguments that credit ratings agencies cited it all specifically in considering a downgrade

2. At the insistence of their "budget cuts for debt ceiling increases formula" a super committee was designed to designate and implement the cuts they wanted

3. Because of their claims that Democrats always renege, a triggering mechanism was put in to activate automatic sequestration if #2 failed to function.

4. Led by Paul Ryan, the super committee's work was scuttled over refusal to budge on tax issues

5. The House Republican conference subsequently declined to try and broker any compromise that could pass the Senate or get the President's signature, banking on a win by Mitt Romney in November to change dynamics in their favor.

6. After Romney's resounding defeat in November, the House Republicans refused to contemplate raising taxes.

7. The House Republicans rebuke their own leader, defeating Speaker Boehner's proposal because it dared to raise taxes on anyone.

8. Today

Obviously, neither side is completely innocent. Everyone with a role in the process had some responsibility to help make sure things turned out okay. There is blame to be shared. But how on Earth, in light of the above, do you imagine that the two sides are equally responsible?
    Summer Dreamer likes this.
  6. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
    Each side shares responsiblity (congress with it's obstructionism; the President by not taking a more leading role in this), ergo, both deserve to go.
    Aytee-Aytee likes this.
  7. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    What do you mean by "not taking more of a lead?" He has offered proposals. He has offered compromises. He has made public appearances and speeches to educate the public about it. What particular thing didn't he do? He can't make anyone agree to something they don't want to.
  8. DarthLowBudget Jedi Master

star 5
    That's not how government works and you know it, Juliet.
  9. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    You know posting the same thing over and over again without much substance could be considered spamming. I'd suggest that cease.
  10. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
  11. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
  12. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
  13. Ghost Force Ghost

star 6
    Christie is specifically condeming Boehner and the House GOP over this, and GOP Congressman King of NY is threatening to switch parties.
  14. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
    I need to find a YouTube of Christie's press conference. That was entertaining.

Edit: Apparently in an attempt to placate everybody, Bohener will bring a $9B dollar version of the bill to the House for a vote Friday and a $51B relief bill when the new Congress comes into full session on the 15th.
    Last edited by Juliet316, Jan 2, 2013
  15. AAAAAH Jedi Knight

star 4
  16. Yodaminch Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's absolutely disgraceful they did this. But frankly, the House itself is just disgraceful. It really looks like the inmates are running the asylum in there.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn Force Ghost

star 7
    There is a Santa Claus!
  18. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
    Christie's response to the House scrapping the Sandy vote:

The outrage on the House floor after the vote was scrapped:

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  19. Ghost Force Ghost

star 6
    Hillary Clinton leaves hospital

[IMG]
    Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Adam of Nuchtern Jedi Master

star 4
  21. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
  22. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Violence against men is a much more common and severe problem in this country than violence against women.

Maybe we should have a "Violence Against People Act".
    Last edited by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Jan 2, 2013
    Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  23. Ghost Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't see how it doesn't get reinstated soon.

I don't even know why Republicans seem to be saying it's ok to abuse your spouse as long as they're Native American, or an Immigrant, or of the Same-Sex. They have no defense on that one.
  24. Likewater Jedi Master

star 4
    [IMG]

Violence against people act? only if it is for MORE violece againts people!
  25. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    What is this, reddit?
    RC-1991, Ramza, imperial_dork and 2 others like this.