main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Iron_lord and Juliet316 like this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Elysium come sout this week. It is of course commentary on rich vs poor. But go ahead and keep voting GOP.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's also a ripoff of Final Fantasy XIII! Kind of!

...what?

Ramza likes this.
  4. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Ted Turner already owns that big chunk.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Right-wing militia has taken over small town in Pennsylvania:
    http://politicalblindspot.com/media-blackout-militia-is-holding-pennsylvania-town-hostage/

(language warning for video)

In other news, there's this happening: :mad::mad::mad:
    http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/08/12/130812fa_fact_stillman

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, you'll never find a conservative in a strip club.

...what?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Summer Dreamer, do you have a mainstream or legitimate news source about that? I can't seem to find any that isn't from an "alternative" or blogspam news.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, but not as much detail:

http://www.kltv.com/story/23084013/police-chief-suspended-after-posting-video-of-him

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2...profanities/36EgdGVURazeUgV3wcMFcM/story.html

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/22984625/gilberton-police-chief-suspended-for-30-days

Not as much detail about him intimidating the rest of the town and going somewhat outside the law, but just having these armed supporters for this irrational police chief around would be enough to make me feel threatened, personally.

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Those are a lot less sensational than "Pennsylvania town held hostage by militia"

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Yeah . . . A right to free speech means that the government can't persecute citizens for it. For example, as a student, I am protected from sanction by my state university if I go around cussing (outside of class).

It doesn't mean employers, even government employees, can't be fired for private behavior. As Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "There may be a constitutional right to talk politics, but there is no constitutional right to be a policeman."

It frustrates me when people think they can say any inane or stupid thing and be free from consequences because of freedom of speech.

On a more serious note . . . I really don't understand how his publishing videos of him shooting and cussing affects his ability to do his jobs. Where I am from, cops do a lot of both. The mayor who said "It was like an R-rated movie" made me roll my eyes.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Part of the issue is that his behavior is arguably not truly private. He can no more used his employer-issued firearms for personal recreation than can an ambulance driver hijack his vehicle for a midnight run to McDonalds. Using official equipment implies official sanction for his activities, and thereby reflects poorly on city government. Regardless of whether we personally would have dismissed him or not, I think they are well justified in doing so.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i dunno he does come off like an eight-year-old boy throwing a tantrum which is pretty embarrassing for the city. i would think that would be grounds for him being fired

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That is, not coincidentally, the same level of maturity implied by thinking it's cool to make video about using firearms.

14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    actual footage from the gilberton police department

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Sheriff Leekenobi

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Texas councilwoman caught on tape

It's 15 minutes long, but just the first minute is ridiculous where homosexuality is placed in the same category as incest and marrying animals. Normally when you hear this it comes from folks like Beck and Limbaugh who are full of it and they know it. This is a recording they did not know was happening.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    “Chan is only focused on her political future,” he continued. “She’s not focused on the policy itself and how it’s going to really affect the city. We spent 80 percent of that meeting talking about how disgusting homosexuality is.”

Welp, it looks like she has no political future now.

Edit: Apparently from reading the comments (which are surprisingly okay ATM), she's a Democrat, so, yeah, really no political future at this point as other Democrats won't dare be caught near her.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL. Karma is awesome.

Dear politicians: in this age of modern technology, you cannot expect to act like an ass and not get caught. Ask Mitt Romney, he knows.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Double posting but I'm way out of edit time.

LMAO. I wondered how long it would take for this to happen:

Conservatives angry over Elysium

I actually do think the film is political but that's hardly the point. If conservatives are getting this pissed off over it, the shoe must fit. It's not as if the film explained how Earth turned into one large bad neighborhood, nor does it ever say that income inequality policies got society to the point where a handful of rich people were able to escape Earth's squalor. The viewer is left to draw his or her own conclusions about how Earth in 2151 got to such a point.

If conservatives were not advocating the idea that concentrating all the wealth into the hands of a few is perfectly acceptable, if they were not advocating policies in which only the wealthy should be able to access health care, workers should do as they are told no matter how dangerous it is, and illegal immigrants should be dealt with forcefully--why would they take this film so personally?

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    What's funny is that when asked if this world was possible in the future Blomkamp said, "No, this is happening. Now." It is a political film. The rich smashing the poor.

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    of course its a political film. why shouldnt it be? why do americans (particularly conservatives and so called "independants") seem to feel like art (even popular culture) should be free from meaningful social commentary?

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They're fine with Atlas Shrugged. In fact, some have blamed the "liberal media" for the fact that it didn't do very well in the theater.

It's only when the commentary is negative towards them that they yell "How dare anyone make a political movie!"

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Science fiction is great for commentary. It is easy for scifi to get away with examinations of the human condition because people think of it as "that silly scifi stuff". The example that always pops into my mind is the first interracial kiss on tv; Star Trek.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep. I often prefer intelligent sci - fi with some sort of commentary on current events than sci - fi that's brainless and filled with explosions.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.