main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Well you know, Germany is just perhaps in the top tier powerhouse countries in the world, sometimes nearly on par with the U.S. Other than that, they're pushovers! :p

Ghost and V-2 like this.
  2. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

Jesus. Can you imagine 4 (or god forbid 8) more years of this?

3. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Well, imagine it thoroughly because that one is happening despite what Rosie O'Donnell wants. :D

4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    The public has simply become desensitized to it all. It's going to take Trump being caught on tape telling Putin "Go ahead, invade the Baltics, I'll hold down the fort over here" (or some equivalent) for any action to be taken against him.

Sad.

Ghost and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't count on it: How many of the American public even know where the Baltics are?

Ghost likes this.
  6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Some of us are well aware. They have great beaches and boat trips to the nearby Greek islands.

7. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    People who say that climate change is good because it will cleanse the world of brown people tend to be the same people who oppose abortion and want them banned because "life is sacred". For this we must thank "the Bible", the oldest example of fake news in existence.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Quite seriously, are there enough of you to make V-03's scenario work? That's what I'm sceptical of.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

You mean people who don't care or don't know where the Baltics are and so it wouldn't affect Trump? Absolutely there are. You know, this is America.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I was kind of hoping for some reassurance in the other direction.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Bald tics? Ain't that what crawled up my pants when I was trying to shoot me some venison for dinner?"

Jedi Ben, LostOnHoth and ShaneP like this.
  12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
  13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Doesn't matter where they think it is, just the mere idea of telling Russia it's okay to do something like that will raise eyebrows. Whether that will ruffle enough feathers is a whole other matter.

14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Most people aren't still in a Cold War mentality in America. Look what happened when Russia all but annexed Crimea…..crickets.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    And France is only the third largest economy in Europe, and has only the third largest stockpile of nuclear warheads in the world. How will they ever cope?

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

They will send a hologram message to America begging for help against the evil Putinski empire.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

I'm not even sure if that would do it. The majority of Trump voters have a favourable opinion of Putin, so if any evidence of collaboration between the two came out, they would probably just consider it a benefit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-wikileaks-poll-finds/?utm_term=.8b677ff5a564

Or they'd say you can't trust the intelligence agencies and it's all a conspiracy so it never happened.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They like an authoritarian specializing in toxic masculinity. Contain your surprise. I'm sure those with a favorable view of Putin are hoping for an America in which feminists are jailed for two years for voicing criticism of Trump and LGBTQ people are required to conform or be killed. I am sure they would cheer Trump for ordering Capitol Police to ensure that any protesters' livers are smashed in the streets.

Abadacus and unicorn like this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Oh, here you go...

http://jezebel.com/russian-parliament-passes-law-decriminalizing-domestic-1791076784

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And Sessions fits right into that mentality by voting against the Violence Against Women Act.

Remember that thread on the temp boards in which some dude was whining about being "feminized" because he can't verbally abuse his girlfriend when he gets home from work? I'm sure the Trump-plus-Putin supporters have the same mindset.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Wasn't that part of the overall "Bowen being Bowen" bit?

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think he was involved, but there is the Fifty Shades of Grey man-tells-woman-how-to-dress-and-we-are-supposed-to-be-OK-with-this mindset as well. I can't tell you how many casual comments I have seen or heard (in general, some here but elsewhere as well) about a man "putting a woman in her rightful place" or some such, and Putin and his ilk have managed to codify that mentality into law instead of sending it to the incinerator where it belongs.

I don't know if Russia was always sexist and homophobic prior to Putin and that's why Putin managed to get where he is, or if he had some other appeal, but either way it does not bode well for the United States.

Jedi Merkurian , unicorn and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I don't know much about it but I get the vibe that Trump is merely following in Putin's footsteps with the entire platform of "return to glory". I think that is what bought Putin his career (mournful population pining over what once was) and Trump just plagiarised that. The cult of manhood and everything that goes with it is just part of the package.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Russian and U.S. history are very different and Trump and Putin are very different men who followed very different career trajectories. There are some general (they both cultivate support among domestic plutocrats... which Hillary Clinton also did) and superficial similarities (they both say controversial things!), but that's all they are.

Abadacus, Gamiel and ShaneP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.