main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    You equated the perception of spending with results. I addressed it. Succinctly.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No I didn't.

I said that there was a link between a lack of education, minorities, and systemic inequality. Hence people's concerns about the Trump admin.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The destruction of public education has happened because people without degrees or any experience in education make decisions on it without having any idea what the hell they are doing, or caring as long as it looks good to campaign donors whose kids probably go to elite private schools anyway.

tl;dr I agree.

But I think the phenomenon of anti-intellectualism is dominated by one party.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  4. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    It is a faulty metric. You are talking about signals (perception). I addressed it. Is it possible people can dumb down the equation to more/less dollars equals more/less education or the problems associated with education by individual student needs, then yes it is possible and on full display in the thread.

5. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    The first complaints you will hear out of the mouths of educators from K-U will almost universally have "administration" as the subject.

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Jester J Binks You do know the edit button can be used to avoid these double posts.

7. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Education should be free to all. End of story. It's probably the best investment a government can make in terms of future tax revenue and industrial/commercial innovation....and resulting tax revenue.

Artoo-Dion , Vaderize03, Rew and 4 others like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm sorry, you appear to have used invisible ink to address the point about systemic inequality.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What is your alternative? What is your point?

Our complaint was never simply about spending. It's that, simultaneously, DeVos is proposing to:

1. Defund the existing system for disadvantaged students (impoverished, disabled, English second language, etc)
    2. Promote a voucher system in its place to incentivize private schools, even though these institutions are less likely to deal with the aforementioned students
    3. Believes that rather than a matter of federal law, discrimination against disabled students should be down-graded to offenses that may or may not be pursued/rectified as particular states see fit

There's no argument for an alternate system that might work better here. You are literally just stripping away everything that exists.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Trump wants military parades in the US: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-military-parades

Copying Putin, again :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I heard Putin especially loves when the Topol-M nuclear missile launcher trucks roll by
    [​IMG]
    I think those provide him compensation for the small size of his own you-know-what ;)

Probably Trump feels like that too...

He would, likely, also really love this part of the parade
    [​IMG]
    :D

Jedi Merkurian and appleseed like this.
  11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    In my experience (working in education, being married to a teacher and coming from a family of educators) those complaints are usually related to work conditions, not to the quality of the education system itself. They are also important, but a whole separate issue. When it comes to what's wrong with education, they will usually point to structural issues, ranging from the whole educational system being rebuilt every 4 or 8 months and thus having to start over to a more and more impenetrable and often contradictory legal system.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sergey for ****'s sake, use the spoiler tag for >1 picture. Even Ghost has learned this.

Yes, but. Bootstraps!

13. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    Better? :)

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Video now going around of Cory Booker speaking at Betsy Devos's school privatization organization:

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not opposed to charter schools as long as they have to follow the same legal standards that public schools have to follow and as long as their primary purpose is not making a profit for some private organization.

I prefer magnets for school choice (my children are in a magnet) but limited regulated charters are the next option.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    WTF is a charter school? Or a magnet school?

We have public and private and that's the way I like it, dammit! (not your stupid reversed versions in the UK.)

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

LMGTFY?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_schools_in_the_United_States

Also, Australia has charter schools according to the main Wiki, according to most definitions...

tl, dr:

19. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    "A charter school is a term for a school that receives government funding but operates independently of the established public school system in which it is located, and in some cases are privately owned."

So it operates as a 'private' school. We already have lots of them- every school here gets government funding (the level of which is a matter of controversy). As a model I don't see the problem- so long as it operates in conjunction with a robust public school system, which we also have.

There are issues with segregation and privilege concentration, so I can see the pitfalls. We also don't have for-profit schools, which I think would be a horrible idea.

20. SergeyX2017

Jan 14, 2017
    I think "magnet" is where kids are made to wear metal bracelets on legs and arms, and there are powerful magnets placed which keep them attached to their desks, so they can't skip class :D

Or is that just my crazy imagination?

21. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    That describes my workplace.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A magnet school is a public school run by the same district office that runs all the public schools in the area, but students are not assigned there according to where they live. Instead, they apply to attend there according to the program the school offers. My children attend a Montessori magnet; the district also offers magnet programs in STEM education, military preparation, international baccalaureate, language immersion (French/Spanish/German/Chinese), performing arts, and academically gifted (invitation only, can't apply to that one).

23. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    We have a couple of music and language ones, but they are generally called Special Interest schools.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    We don't have charter schools. The "technically" aspect you lifted from Wikipedia is Americentric. What we have is the British public school system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_school_(United_Kingdom)) which has been expanded upon because though many are old - mine, for example, was established in 1863 - they aren't as old as Harrow, Eton, Rugby, etc and aren't as tied to the ruling class as they are there. But if you compare the coats of arms of those 24 great schools to the Great Public Schools of Australia (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newington_College) you see the heritage.

So the concept was further made 'egalitarian' (as "public" in the British sense means they are not restrictive by religious denomination etc) here. It's not the same as the charter school model though, unless you want a drastic oversimplification to define parameters.

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.