main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Some of it is, the Common Core, which sets math and English/language arts standards. Science and social studies and electives are set at the state level though.

DanielUK likes this.
  2. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    You start off, and end, going back to the rich. Which you keep primarily focusing on. I even noted that in the quote.

Try again.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Though not every state has adopted Common Core, it was just "heavily suggested" to the states.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Is it one of those "hostile battles" up on the Hill?

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Can't say that about college, but not in the elementary and high school levels. Certain schools have curriculum that isn't mandatory. Something like "French Week" isn't going to happen in many US schools. Not the smaller, rural areas. Mexican and Spanish culture appreciation are more likely to be found in schools, especially with a significant Mexican-American population.

Part of it is education, but part of it is just sheer stubbornness brought on by upbringing. They would rather remain ignorant than being more enlightened. To me, I wouldn't complain about life in Japan or Scotland. I've learned from reading on my own and through other media that their ways are indeed different, but I can appreciate them for what they are. But then you have cultures where things are so radically different that it is just breeds a form of contempt. Especially with religion and that's a hurdle that's way too difficult to overcome for too many people.

Recently, there was a news editorial piece from my local television station, which talked about how a local resident was xenophobic towards Muslims, until discovering and meeting his neighbors who were Muslim and saw his whole world view change. Now he understands the difference between peaceful Muslims and radical extremists.

This too. It's not just in foreign culture, but in other areas of education. There were points in American history that wasn't taught in my mother's day, that was during my time and I know it's the same with my younger cousins.

7. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    I literally acknowledged the poor (In fact, I agreed with you in my first response).

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You have no idea.

I'm kind of in the middle on it. I like having standardization across states so that kids who move from one state to the next are not being taught at vastly different levels, but I don't like how specific many of the standards are, and how that specificity takes some flexibility away from teachers to differentiate to individual students. Example, my school which has 1/3 of the student population who are not native English speakers and 2/3 of the student population living below the poverty level, is not going to have the same instructional needs as a school in the wealthiest areas.

darth-sinister : My first two French teaching positions were in rural areas, and both of them disappeared due to a limited interest in second language learning overall, and the fact that the existing interest was almost solely Spanish.

It's not just travel; urban areas are more likely to get people moving in from other places, whereas rural areas are more likely to have people who live on great-granddad's property and have no intention of ever leaving the area. It's easier to sell foreign language learning in urban areas for that reason, as opposed to in rural areas where the attitude might be "Why they need to learn French, they ain't goin to France."

Ghost, Game3525 and Bazinga'd like this.
  9. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

You pretty much see this in my state (Virginia), only instead of complaining about foreign countries, they are talking about metros.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right. We had a big Spanish class at my Alma matter, but we did have other foreign language classes that were taught via satellite, but enrollment was often very small and as such, the classroom was a small room in the library. Growing up in a small town of 1600. Not sure if those classes are still taught, but the rest of it is about right. Hell, you still find ignorant people that say that they're sick of having options in Spanish and seeing Mexicans, both legal and illegal, using Spanish to converse.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This is damn funny. I was planning to go and ended up having a kid-related conflict. Next time.

Tillis refuses to hold a town hall, so about 300 constituents held a pretend town hall and mocked him

The plan was to hold the town hall and he could show up or not show up (I think I posted this yesterday or the day before but I'm too lazy to look right now).

His loss; he not only got mocked by people asking questions to a metal chair, he missed the extraordinarily good local beer on tap that that brewery serves.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ugh.

Heaven’s model immigration policies haven’t gone unnoticed by the great and the good of conservative America. Indeed, a panel at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) conference, which kicked off today, is titled: “If Heaven Has a Gate, A Wall, and Extreme Vetting, Why Can’t America?”

Sceptics, heathens, and Stephen Hawking might say: well, you know, because heaven is a fairy story. But sceptics, heathens and Stephen Hawking are not in charge of America. Evangelical fundamentalists like Vice President Mike Pence, who doesn’t believe in evolution, are.​

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-vetting-republicans-legislate-from-the-bible

Ugh, just ugh.

Congress can't decide this... but it is a super-charged battle in every State House, City Council, School District, Teachers' Conference, etc. This thread tends to be more about the talk on the national scale, but for talk on the state/local scale this has to be one of the issues that gets people's passions going the most. Like, you have no idea how much bubbling tension there is about this.

I agree with anakinfansince1983... a high school diploma should mean the same thing in every state. If a student is in 5th and moves to another school or district or state, they should be at about the same level.

But Common Core, and all the standardization before Common Core, is over-regulated and over-standardized. Teachers and schools are often punished for not doing well... even if, for example, their school is the one that all schools in the district send their special education students, or ESL students, or if they're in a poorer neighborhood where most kids don't have a healthy, filling breakfast and dinner each day.

And another thing is this standardization often prioritizes data over the students: maybe the classroom needs an extra week to go over a new math or reading concept, or the teacher wants to have adequate time to review old material or preview future material, or do something a little different but it's fun and engaging and educational, etc., but that flexibility isn't allowed.

There's also a lot of "teaching to the test" encouraged, that's not useful for anything but this test, which might be thrown out in 3 years anyways.

Or teaching to whatever new thing the curriculum-designers decide to impose for a year or two, then decide it's garbage and move on to the next new shiny thing... like "oh, let's not teach students phonics, they can figure it out on their own, but start teaching exponents in 2nd grade before they learn multiplication so they all become STEM majors! ... (2 years later).... Wait, what do you mean math scores and reading scores are going down? Let's bring back phonics, but this time let's begin teaching multiplication in 1st grade!"

13. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

I live in a city that is 50+% immigrants and we have one of the lowest crime rates in Canada. And a ton of tasty restaurants.

We also let in 40 000 Syrian Refugees (using the same extensive vetting process the US refugees would have been subject to) and haven't had a single terrorist attack. The only recent terrorist attack was a white guy shooting up a mosque.

Mar17swgirl, oncafar, Rew and 9 others like this.
  14. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    CBS News just reported that NASA has discovered up to 7 planets that could be just like earth.

For the sake of the lifeforms that might exist on those other worlds, I really hope that's not the case.

Vaderize03, MrZAP, Ghost and 2 others like this.
  15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

I would prefer that we did not find intelligent life until the current administration is out of office.

16. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013

I'm still trying to find it on this planet!:p

Geez, Imagine what higher lifeforms would think of Trump and a nation that elected him. Once the radio waves made it that far, they'd just turn their saucers right around and head home.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The DNC Chair debate starts on CNN in a few minutes.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think they would come more quickly, to restore His Excellency to power.

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oversimplification.

Supply side economics works and if you need proof to overcome your cynicism, how about China?

Reagonomics however follows the proud tradition of ideological infancy in the US, and is some sort of farce.

20. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013

But that's an oversimplification too, isn't it? China is also a very protectionist nation. So, it can be argued that the supply side is not the only reason for their success, or if China shows that supply side economics is beneficial then it also shows that protectionism is beneficial.

21. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

Fair enough.

I should have said Reagonomics

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well that debate sure was something.

I've decided I like Buttigieg better than Ellison. He seems to "get it," with messaging, with grassroots support, with the right experience and youthful optimistic energy.

Jaime Harrison was super-annoying (most besides the big 3 could be at times). "Elect me. DNC Chair is a job. Like, it seems to really be a job. It's about building. The Chair needs a builder! And a fighter! Thank you for everything mom. Oh, an no one else knows that being poor sucks!" (*literally bounces up and down and moves his hands excitedly*) He needed to calm down and stop taking everything personally.
    Brown and Greene were annoying too.

Perez dodged a lot of questions, but showed some charm. Though the question about the Donors' Summit was bad. "Well, everyone here was at the Donor's Summit instead of the Women's Marches, except for Buttigieg and the John Kerry clone, but that's not fair, I go to marches too. Everyone else went to the Donors' Summit!" And Greene adding on "the DNC should stop caring about PR and make policy happen!" Well the point of the DNC is to have good PR and communication, to help get people elected, so they can make policy, jeesh. And no, Greene, the Civil War was worse than Trump.

And thank you Buttigieg for realizing that people should stop talking about Millennials like we're all preteens, the oldest of us are approaching 40.

Ronan was just this cynical "you guys all suck, the Democrats suck" candidate... but somehow not annoying, he was pretty funny. No chance of winning though."Ronan: he's just like your cynical Generation X second-cousin... elect him, and listen to him arrogantly complain about the DNC he leads with an occasional valid point. Ronan."

Rew likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So... Ronan the Accuser?

//I'll show myself out...

Jedi Merkurian and Ghost like this.
  24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Absolutely do not want Jaime Harrison. He has been an absolutely abysmal leader of the Democratic Party here in SC - anyone who thinks he is qualified to lead the a national party (which happens to be currently floundering in the fiery pits of hell) is dreadfully mistaken.

Ghost likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't think anyone is seriously considering anyone outside of Ellison, Perez, and Buttigieg.

heels1785 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.