main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

No.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Anyone else here a huge fan of historical politics? I love topics like the National Bank, the Nullification Crisis, the Fugitive Slave Law, etc.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Watching/reading some things about Watergate, it's clear that probably the only thing saving Trump is that the Republicans have the House right now. If they did not, I think we would probably be reading and hearing things about the campaign that only Watergate could rival in political terms. From whatever happens going forward, I'm not sure Trump is bright enough to get much of anything done, and likewise for the Republicans in Congress. After all, Watergate was in part about a re-election campaign that also turned out to be very successful, although another part of it went back to the Pentagon Papers (which had nothing at all to do with Nixon himself).

With that in mind, the 2016 campaign will sit in plain sight, almost the opposite of Watergate, which was hidden away for some time before it turned into what it's remembered for. If we ever do get people testifying under oath in front of a select committee, the impact is probably incalculable. Republicans will do everything they can, legal and probably illegal, to keep the House, because if Democrats get even a one seat majority, they'll train their sights on Trump in general and the 2016 in particular.

4. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    And that absolutely needs to be part of their campaign across the board, both for all the seats they are defending and the ones they are going after. Every GOP member of the House is in essence covering for Trump. Just the other day, they blocked a chance to make his taxes public. I bet if they were made public, he'd be finished.

They somehow get the House (not likely but let's just say a miracle happens), his taxes are released the day they take over. I think he'd be impeached within weeks.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "I respect their right to be there and express themselves"...but in this country they go home since they lost the election?

Yeah...no, Mitch.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    This happened where I live, but I slept through it.

Good ol' Mitch. He's fun at parties.

Sent from SQUADALAH

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011

Sent from SQUADALAH

9. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011

Sent from SQUADALAH

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    On the topic of multiculturalism in schools, one of the things I'm most proud of at my daughter's elementary school is their annual "Parade of Nations," wherein they celebrate the art, fashion, food, and other cultural aspects of countries represented by the student body.

Last year I think it was fifteen [face_love]

In many cases, the students are 1st-generation, or are themselves immigrants.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    CPAC is ever so bizarre.

13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Hannity tweeted out a fake news story last night that McCain tried to get money from the Russains.

14. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    Ender Sai likes this.
  15. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    sniff sniff

16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Hannity is insane.

He suggested, once, the Nobel Peace Prize was a pro-terrorist award and then said Bush jnr should've be awarded it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    At least Hannity has Alex Jones to make him look sane in comparison.

18. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Clearly Trump is bringing none of the "wouldn't it be great if we could get along with Russia?" attitude to our relationship with China.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/13/politics/china-military-south-china-sea-report/

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Good job, Arizona!

http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2017/02/22/arizona-senate-crackdown-on-protests/

21. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i havn't even heard that reported here. that's pretty rediculous, we have few protests here, other than immigration protests a few years ago.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sure some people from the "other side" will destroy something for the purpose of getting protesters arrested.

Looks like they have read the Constitution about as well as people who call the media "the enemy" but then again, the Constitution was not written on a first-grade level so they might be incapable of reading it.

23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I guess Arizona is taking the same approach to the constitutionality of legislation that my puppy takes to eating objects he finds on the ground. Swallow it now. Find out if it's edible/will stay down later.

24. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Boehner seems to be enjoying retirement.

Seriously though, he is right. The GOP was naive about a quick repeal/replace plan. It was a long tedious fight for Democrats, and unlike the GOP, they had a framework of what the law would look like. The GOP doesn't.

They would be much better off politically just fixing the problems with the ACA and taking the credit. Their base isn't going to care in the long-run, since they only hated the ACA because of Obama.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/john-boehner-obamacare-republicans-235303

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This reminds me of my kids' elementary school. Also, no ethnic group in the school comprises more than 40% of the total.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.