main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm sorry but Nerdling Writer 4m told me that they're all just racists.

Abadacus, Ender Sai and DanielUK like this.
  2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I was told they're all rich.

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    My Austrian Airlines employee friend had to get a visa to travel to the U.S. after having been to Iraq on business. Anecdotally, she tells me that the transatlantic flights from Europe are a lot emptier than usual. A lot of potential reasons for this: 1)forget it, it's just an anecdote, 2) Trump has frightened away people who might attempt to fly in as tourists and then try to stay. 3) the strong dollar has made coming to the U.S. less attractive for visitors 4) Europeans are so disgusted with Trump they don't want to visit the U.S. as legitimate tourists.

It may end up being true that the key effect of the Trump presidency on illegal immigrants is as a psychological deterrent. Just the fact that he's president and is blowing a lot of hot air about immigration makes attempting to enter the country and stay illegally seem more risky.

It may also end up being true that Trump is so unpopular globally that his presidency will measurably hurt international tourism to the U.S.

4. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, I'm not surprised.

There has been a lot of talk in the business media about a decline in a lot of travel to the US - which is probably what the ban was designed to do.

5. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    This is something that many Democrats (including myself.) always forget when it comes to the issue of coal jobs in those regions. It is not just about the pay and economics, but about culturally identity. I think that the only way to do anything in those regions is for local Democrats to start telling the truth about the future of coal. For example, WV has 52 elected Democratic officials and yet nearly all of them hold similar positions to their GOP counterparts when it comes to coal.

D's need to take a bottom/up approach when it comes to coal, instead of a top/down approach.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Someone at CPAC handed out Russian flags, and the crowd waved them during speeches because they said "Trump."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually, these idiots figured out what was going on and confiscated them. Nonetheless, Republicans love the poorly educated!

8. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    That is utterly hilarious.

9. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

The party of Reagan, people.:p

10. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    While we're on the subject of idiocy, is anyone else interested in the DNC vote that's coming this weekend? What are the odds that the Donkeys will continue to hand control over to the same Third Way imbeciles who led the party to disaster during the Obama years? If Perez beats Ellison, they'll be sending one mother of a middle finger to the progressives.

Abadacus and Drac39 like this.
  11. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

I am getting tired of some progressives spouting this nonsense.

Perez and Ellison pretty much agree on everything. Both want to bring back the 50-state strategy and focus on organization and neither believes that purging the party of moderates is the way to go.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

[face_love]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

It's because people like you and dp4m and other middle class democrats don't listen to your poor white constituents, call them racists, and infer Trump won because you think an average income is a good indicator and not indicative of the normalising effect very low and very high income can have. :)

In short, people like you also caused brexit, but haven't figured out your culpability yet. :)

14. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

That isn't fair, Ender.

I have never said all Trump voters are racist. I have said that they have decided that racism and bigotry was not disqualifying when it comes to Trump and that is true.

15. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Because some of those voters have nothing. When you're at the very bottom of society, some individuals will resort to anything to improve their economic situation.

Go and re-watch Darth Guy's videos, especially the coal miners, and see the young man trying to provide for a wife and two young kids. Just wants a job that pays. That's it. He isn't going to listen to your progressive mantra about Trump, society or the world.

I've done years of political activism, knocked on doors and given the liberal message. "You really don't understand" is what I would hear from low paid or unemployed voters. And after Brexit and Trump it was very clear - I didn't understand them at all. In fact, I never use to bother really listening to them and would avoid the council estates. People like me, low middle class, well educated liberals are to blame.

When we talked about helping the poor, we really meant helping the middle classes - not the working poor.

As the Victorians use to say: if it's good enough for the middle classes, then it's good enough for the poor.

Turned out to be very, very wrong in the end.

Abadacus and Rew like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think there probably is a segment of the working poor who blame "changing society," up to and including integration, a growing population of brown people, and "multiculturalism" for their situation.

They look fondly at "the good old days," the days when their factory job paid better AND their women stayed in the kitchen/their cashier spoke English/their kids' schools had more white people/they weren't chastised for their "jokes." It's possible that the two--economic dissatisfaction and bigotry--go hand in hand.

Fixing the economic dissatisfaction rather than saying "Let them eat cake" will determine which factor is more prevalent.

17. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

No, he wants to be a coal miner (His family has been in the coal-mining business for generations.)

Democrats, on the national level, for years have talked about revitalizing the economies in these regions with job retraining, higher minimum wage, new investments in infrastructure and technology to help lure new industries into these areas. Despite all of this, Democrats have never made much in-roads in these areas of the country. I think many on the left are really sleeping on the culturally aspect of all this.

For me, my job is just a job. But for a lot of these people, it is their identity and naturally you are going to do anything to protect that, even if it means voting for a con-man like Donald Trump.

18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Is a coal miner a job that doesn't pay money in the US? Is it not a job?

Generally stumped by your objection.

Desperate, but still racist. Understood. ​

19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The person on the left in this picture.
    That's a Cole minor.

[​IMG]

CT-867-5309, yeurgh, Rew and 2 others like this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    CNN, NY Times and other news outlets blocked from attending White House media briefing
    From CNN's Sara Murray, Jeremy Diamond and Kevin Liptak:
    The White House handpicked news organizations, beyond the pool, to attend Friday's gaggle with Press Secretary Sean Spicer, which was held instead of the White House press briefing.
    CNN was not permitted to attend, along with the New York Times, Politico, Buzzfeed and much of the foreign press that regularly attends White House briefings.
    NBC, ABC, and FOX were allowed in, along with CBS, who is Friday’s pool network. Breitbart, Washington Times, One America News Network also attended.
    The Associated Press and TIME boycotted the gaggle.
    There has been no explanation yet from the White House.

Just ridiculous and desperate on the part of Trump's administration.

21. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    It is a dying industry in the United States due to natural gases being safer and cheaper. There is nothing a Democrat, Trump, Republican etc. can do to reverse the trends. The best way to help guys like him is through job-retraining programs and a higher minimum wage and yet they don't want that. They want coal mining jobs, and we can't promise him that.

I am not talking about racism. I am talking about resistance to change when it comes to a changing economy in the United States.

22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It's a deliberate effort to create yet another media story about the Trump-media relationship to help feed the larger narrative of the media's war on Trump and by extension Trump voters.

23. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Also, the average income of Trump's voters was significantly higher than the national average and Hillary won the votes of the poorest voters: http://jezebel.com/please-stop-saying-poor-people-did-this-1788813761

24. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, we know. We had the "Trump voters are more richer than Hillary's" last night...

That's a big assumption. How do you know? Are you going on pure speculation, polling trends or actually sitting these people down and talking to them?

We hear this a lot in the UK. People forget, especially the middle classes, it is not that easy for someone to retrain and find a new career. Lack of education, skills, finance and age can have a negative effect. This is the biggest failure of liberalism.

You cannot generalise people and say **** 'em.

25. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    My entire family is from West Virginia, and I can tell you exactly how those people are. The best chance the Democrats would have to make any inroads there on the national level is push new uses for coal besides burning it. They should push for a lot of scientific research in the Appalachian Mountains. There's a lot of resources there but transporting materials is pretty difficult. Most people who want better lives move out of the area, it's what my parents did.

It's places like West Virginia and Kentucky that makes me wish the country would just collapse and split apart. People in California and NY shouldn't have to be stuck in a union with people from those states that hate them and everything they represent. I think the US is a proven failure.

darklordoftech and Darkslayer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.