main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Well. That escalated quickly...

2. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Election results.

Take West Virginia for example, Trump won that state by 42 points and yet the Democratic nominee for Governor won by 7 points. Why? Because of coal, Justice was CEO of a Coal plant in WV and also ran on pro coal platform like Trump, while Clinton's plan was about revitalization and transforming the coal-based economy into a more diverse one.

Oh, I know. job retraining programs aren't easy, it is hard enough for people with money to change careers mid-life, so I know it will be very difficult for those less fortuned. The problem is that is what realistically has to happen because coal isn't coming back. DT can roll back as many Obama era regulations as he wants, but businesses have sealed it's fate.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  3. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    You didn't answer my question, but we're getting use to that...

"deal with it" is how the miners will interrupt that response.

Quick question, have you done any activism - which results in having to speak to opposing voters? (face-to-face)

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think repurposing coal is a great idea.

That said, I admit to having very little patience with the age factor as an excuse. Anyone who is too old for retraining is definitely too damn old to be mining coal.

Lack of finances is certainly understandable and very real, which is why any retraining programs would need an incentive or a stipend of some sort.

5. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

What if you've suffered health consequences, which impacted you getting another job? If there is no welfare state for these people (as the man in the video pointed out), you have to keep working to pay the bills - until the condition gets worse or fatal.

6. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Just because you don't like my answers, doesn't mean I am avoiding your question.

"Deal with it" may be how they interpretation if someone like Obama or Clinton are talking about this issue. But if it is coming from local politicians, you might be able to make some progress. And yes, I have actually done canvassing for Obama here in VA in both 2008 and 2012, which requires you to meet voters face to face. And my biggest takeaway from that experience is that people's voting preferences are more complex then one would realize.

7. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

So, you can learn after all.

Why not imply it to the current situation, instead of trying to simplify Trump voters? You seem to be only capable of rationalising voters - if they vote Democrat, judging by your posts.

8. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

Honestly, this is rich coming from a poster who completely misread what that kid in the video truly wanted.

V-2 likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Bad judgement!

11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Actually, I didn't. But this isn't about me..

You moved away from answering my question though; happens every time I ask about talking to Trump voters ;) I'm generally getting curious about why you get defensive about it.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Former Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear will give the Democratic Party's response to President Trump's joint address to Congress (basically a State of the Union without the name) on Tuesday.

Good choice. Not a rising star since he retired from Governor a year ago due to term limits, but under him Kentucky ran the most competent state exchange under ObamaCare (too bad their new GOP governor repealed it).

13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh, I have to stay up to the early hours to see this.

I want there to be a riot in Congress.

14. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I've felt this way for quite awhile. I live in a red state and I despise everything about it. I think America is a failure and I feel most people in the country are filth.

15. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    No, you did.

He doesn't just want a job that can pay, he wants to be a coal miner. You completely misread his point, while scolding me for not listening to Trump voters.

As for being defensive? Not really, I have no issue with talking to Trump voters. Granted, Trump voters in the Appalachian and Deep South might be out of reach since those areas of the country has been GOP strongholds for decades now. But for reluctant Trump voters in the Sunbelt and Rustbelt, go for it. In fact that is the only way we can retake the house if they can convert some of those voters (especially the ones who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012).

16. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

[​IMG]

I honestly don't know if this is a parody account and I'm having my leg pulled.

17. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

I actually said something along the lines of "are you suggesting a coal miner isn't a job? doesn't it pay money?"; you decided to suggest my words meant something different, not me.

See, that wasn't so difficult after all was it? ​

18. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    No, even before the election I was developing a strong hatred for people and the election just codified it.

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Well, how do you expect things to change - if you hate the people in your country? reconciliation is vital to repairing the democratic process.

20. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    I don't expect things to change. I expect them to get worse and worse and I expect a lot of violence this summer.

CT1138 likes this.
  21. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Jesus, man.

That's a gloomy view of the world.

22. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    To be fair, the world these days doesn't give us much to look forward too. Especially with leaders like Trump trying to reignite a nuclear arms race.

appleseed likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    To be even more fair, it's an appleseed post. That was quite positive for him.

gezvader28, CT-867-5309, V-2 and 3 others like this.
  24. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    It's also a realistic one. Things in America are likely to get worse before they get better. Hopefully, we won't be dealing with violence, but statistically, the United States is a violent nation, and we also have a lot of guns.

I have faith, though, in our institutions. And also the (real) press. So I guess we'll have to just see.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.