main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Oh, I understand the point. In fact, it is rare commodity now to have what was once the "proud working class" - it has more or less been stripped away.

But, I was merely referencing (again) the politicians failed to answer this man. The solution, according to liberals in this thread, was to training and get a new career. Even if age, health and financial factors went against it. To me, and I'm sure you'll agree, that's a Tory answer - not a very liberal one.

moreorless12

I was more or less burned at the stake for hinting at that.

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly Daniel beyond our personal politics I think the danger in the current situation is basically a lack of choice, if the traditional left and right are really just the same politics with a different branding that's obviously going to breed discontent, the same is really true with the media. Saying this doesn't make you a Trump/UKIP/Le Penn/Etc supporter just that these things are a result of the subversion of democracy by the interests of the rich and the powerful.

Really the likes of Sanders and Corbyn that the establishment put so much effort into snuffing out are actually pretty mild shifts to the left yet you would think there the Khmer Rouge from the section.

Abadacus and V-2 like this.
  3. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Advocating for him to have these benefits.

Clinton had 30 billion dollar plan to help the coal miners. The plan included securing healthcare and pension benefits, offering tax credits and job training. This information was readily available and both Clintons met and talked to the coal miners. They ultimately don't want this stuff, they want coal jobs and a return to the glory days and no one can fulfill that promise.

As for globalization? No, it is automation that is really disfranchising the white working class.

unicorn likes this.
  4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I'm just loving that we want to give the working whites a viable future with a livable wage, but we also want to give the same to illegal immigrants, which, if we did, their purpose in the economy would be gone and we wouldn't "need" them anymore. And when that happens, nobody's gonna hire them. Clearly, we can't do both.

Jedi Merkurian and DanielUK like this.
  5. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, what do you think is causing automation and the need for it? Why do you think we wish to remain competitive?

*whispers* it begins with a g...

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Perez won DNC chair, 235-200.

Perez appoints Ellison Deputy Chair

7. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

And that is the big problem with globalisation. Somebody has to lose out.

8. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Are you not one of those I mentioned, DanielUK?

9. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Working white or an illegal immigrant?

10. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

I tend to look at them as two separate issues.

11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    A hint.

You shouldn't.

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    One of those making both of those contradictory arguments at once.

13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I have no idea what you mean. Sorry.

14. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Of course you don't.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

The most nonsensical race of all-time.

16. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    No, I know what you're saying, but I fail to see how it has any reference to me. I don't recall defending illegal immigration.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They are intertwined, but not the same thing.

18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

I didn't say it was.

19. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

Re: the article about cutting immigration in half:

Both Canada and the US don't have the birth rate to sustain the aging population. Canada's is 1.6 so we rely on hundreds of thousands of immigrants coming here to sustain our population. The baby boomers are currently retiring on their pension which is largely supported by the current immigrants who work here. The idea the white nationalists love to push is that immigrants are a "drain" on the resources when it's actually just the opposite and the country would be dying without them. Look at what's happening to Japan which isn't replacing their aging population with immigrants.

In my current province, almost every doctor and nurse in the rural towns are immigrants. Because people born in Canada don't want to work in those areas. If you restrict immigration, those towns would have no medical professionals.

It has nothing to do with immigrants ruining the economy but is all about "I don't like people who have a different colour skin than me". The same people are fine with white European immigrants like Melania coming to America.

20. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

RE: Japan and Asia.

This is a cultural aspect; many Asian societies are still very sceptical to outsiders and would prefer to embrace robotics than migrants. South Korea, for example, does have examples of immigrants facing discrimination. Japan is slowly starting to change, with a younger generation who are less traditional than their parents. But, I agree, immigration would help solve their problems - especially the ongoing economic problems in Japan.

21. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    I know a person, a relative, who is an "illegal" in America (she came in on a student visa from Russia a decade ago, when was like 15, and stayed on after the visa expired).

She is also a hardworking person who has been employed in many jobs over the years, including two at once now (waitress at restaurant and cashier at a store). Her son will, unless Trump does something else stupid, grow up a US citizen, born in America, a year ago, to an "illegal" mom and double Russian/US citizen dad. I have my suspicions he is an abusive SOB who exploits her illegal status to maintain control over her and keep her subservient to himself, but, that's a story for another thread.

Point is, there is such a thing as a working, white illegal immigrant.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

DNC is doubling down on Clintonism it seems with Perez. Good, good. Let's get 8 years of Trump!

Abadacus, Ender Sai and DanielUK like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    lol @ people hating on Perez. Literally, his background is Wocky's #1 issue: racial justice. And a superb labor background.

Both he and Ellison were excellent, Ellison's now the Deputy Chair... it's like some people just wanted their way or the highway. Wow, so brave.

24. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

Perez isn't a Clinton hack at all. Him and Ellison are pretty much in agreement on everything, the only difference is one was backed by Bernie and the other by Biden and Obama.

unicorn likes this.
  25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    So, Perez is more or less centre-right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.