main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I think this is false.

Obama isn't a radical and he would have beaten Trump by 8-10 points, Biden probably wins as well.

For Democrats, they need to run a candidate that the base wants to vote for. Hillary has her fans in the Democratic party, but by in large, she was never someone people were going to go to war for. This is something I remember so clearly from my days canvassing for Obama. It wasn't just what he was advocating for, but his supporters were for him.

That is the biggest difference between Democratic voters and Republican voters. Republicans are more concerned about the message, then the actually messenger. Democrats on the other hand, if they don't buy into the messenger then they won't show up, it doesn't matter if the message is a progressive, moderate, or conservative one.

2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

It's possible. The problem is they either ran in the 1800's or have already been President.

3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    This again?

V-2 likes this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This again.

Blame the DNC

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Personally, I don't want Hillary to run again. She only got my vote because she was against trump.

I agree with Tracy on not doing things the same and expecting other results. Instead of using 'same old' try someone new.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

You're participating in a free election, not going to war. That's problem with you conservatives, so bloody sectarian.

Yeah. But it's fun, though.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It used to be common for both major parties to nominate losing candidates again. Of course, a lot of them lost again (looking at you, William Jennings Bryan!). Cleveland and Nixon are the only candidates I can think of who ended up winning after losing, and 1968 was the last time either party tried nominating a candidate who'd previously lost. Perhaps not coincidentally that was near the end of the smoke-filled room method of choosing candidates.

Clintonites: "...so you're saying it's possible?" :p

8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

I still think Trump will be primaried if his approval ratings continue to sink. If he isn't however, that is the only door that opens up a chance for Hillary to run again. Because at that point, we already know she can debate. And we already know what he has done. So that would be the only solid ground she'd have. That and the fact that they continue to investigate her emails so likely by 2019 they'll be done. After that, I think they've run out of things to tie to her. Given Trump committed his own Benghazi the first weekend in office, he can't really tie that one around her.

If she did run I swear it would be like the episode of the Simpsons where Mr. Burns had every illness which made him feel "invincible"

[​IMG]

The Pink one is Benghazi, the green one is emails, and the orange is the Clinton Foundation.

My personal feeling is she's done. Whether Elizabeth Warren or Kamala Harris or one of the others runs is the only real question.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No actual Clinton fan in this thread thinks she is running again.

10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

TBH, with what we have see this election cycle, I am done prognosticating on anything involving politics. As far as I am concerned, it is entirely possible that Alf will be elected President in 2020.

Pensivia, Darth Nerdling, V-2 and 2 others like this.
  11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    If, somehow, she ran again - then the Democrats deserve to be destroyed by the electorate; the campaign slogan might as well be "we've learned nothing"

12. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    I am 90% certain that Harris will run. You don't want to hang around in the senate for too long and build a voting record. As for Warren, I don't think she will run. Unlike most politicians, I think she clearly understands where her talents lies and that is in the Senate.

I think she wants to be this era Ted Kennedy (except without the womanizing and drinking.:p)

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    So she'll primary a sitting President? :p

Vaderize03, KnightWriter and Game3525 like this.
  14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, she's less than a decade younger than Kennedy was at the age of his death, minus the vast majority of his career. She got started too late for that, unfortunately.

15. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

She won't match Teddy's longevity, but I think she is angling for "heart/soul of the party" role that Kennedy occupied up until his death.

16. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I really hope Cory Booker doesn't run. He's rather slimy, IMHO. Trouble is, he thinks he's gold.

I don't know enough about Harris to comment--what do people think of her chances?

Ghost likes this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I've loved Kamala Harris since I heard she was running for the CA Senate seat. Therefore, expect the anti-Clinton contingent to say she's the worst thing since sliced bread. I'd be all for her being the 2020 nom.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I wish I had your level of arrogance where I thought people formed their opinions based on what I liked or supported.

Ender Sai likes this.
  19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    No, not the worse thing. Just another establishment insider.

20. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

Booker will get exposed if he runs. He doesn't know it yet, but he is the D's version of Rubio.

As for Harris, I think she has a good chance if she decides to run. Her background and credentials are the exact opposite of Trump and she fits in well with the current make up of the Democratic coalition.

21. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    She's not running again, and I'd be highly disappointed in her if she did choose to run again. She already lost to Trump, and if she chose to run again, she'd have to realize that she wouldn't be the best match up against him. She couldn't possibly claim she'd running for the country. She would simply be running for herself.

Her running again would also prove that she didn't truly believe what she and Obama and many of us were saying -- that Trump is a different type of candidate. With Trump, it wasn't a D vs. an R. It was a D vs a much greater danger to our nation in a number of ways. I believe that to be true. There were times in the campaign she didn't live up this rhetoric to some degree, but this would be far worse. (Heck, if I were her, I would've had Biden waiting in the wings, and if my poll numbers dropped to near even with Trump's because of not disclosing that I have pneumonia, then I would've dropped out ("I'm too ill to continue cough cough"), and let him replace me. That was a clear sign that she could be defeated.)

If she ran again, then it would all but prove that she was running for personal ambition rather than what's in the best interest of the country. That in itself would put people against her.

Based on polling, there's some evidence that she would win if there was a re-election right now. According to polling, 27% of non-voters regret not voting, and they would've voted for Clinton over Trump by a 27% to 19% margin.

At the same time, running the same race twice doesn't go well with voters. It forces the voters to admit that they made a mistake. Consider when Tom Barrett ran against Scott Walker in the Wisconsin recall after losing to Walker 2 years earlier. Barrett did even worse against Walker the 2nd time around even though Walker was deeply unpopular (so unpopular he was subject to a recall election in the first place).

22. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Hopefully people aren't fooled by establishment dems again. If any progressive runs, all Bernie has to do is say he supports the person and they'll probably win. At least that's what I hope. A progressive can beat Trump. I doubt anyone from Clinton's little clique has a prayer, nor do they deserve one.

DanielUK likes this.
  23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Are we talking "progressive" or progressive?

Ender Sai likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Progressive "progressive." Progressive.

25. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

This didn't work for Feingold or Teachout.

Ghost, unicorn and Darth Nerdling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.