main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think I'll watch it live either; I have the flu and am not in a good position to drink heavily. I'll catch commentary on it after.

Bush 43 is now joining those calling for an investigation into 45's Russian connections. I would be hopeful but I was hopeful when Bush 41 said he was voting for Clinton and we know how that turned out.

And then there's this:

DNC steamrolled Ellison

If it's accurate, the DNC deserves everything it gets, including Trump in 2020. Oceans rise, empires fall.

I'm disgusted. If we could get a true progressive party in this country, that would be great.

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  3. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Never gonna happen. Americans crow about freedom and liberty, but they really are subservient to and property of the corporations that run this country. That's why working people in this country have nothing and the wealthy can take it all. When all your political choices are is center right and far right, you will be stuck with a right wing country and a right wing life. I wish there was a real left wing party to balance things out too, but the Democrats sold out years ago.

4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Trump seems even more determined than George Bush and Obama to double down on a by-the-books downward slope of the Rise and Fall of the Great Powers scenario.

-the U.S. has now been running trade deficits for most of my adult life
    -U.S. share of the global economy has declined steadily for most of my adult life
    -China is still poised to become the world's largest economy by all standard measures as of next year
    -U.S. national debt is more than 100% of GDP now, basically failed state numbers.

-and yet: Trump wants to increase military spending by 10%.

this is the classic self-reinforcing downward spiral of Kennedy's classic book. overspending on "imperial"/global military commitments leads to slower economic growth as economy-building investments are neglected in favor of defense, further weakening us economically, further reducing our ability to maintain high levels of military spending and our global military commitments.

I'd place "peak U.S." somewhere around 1990. We're anywhere from 25-40 years into our relative economic decline, depending on how you want to measure it.

I may still live long enough to witness the wholesale abandonment/unraveling of the current global military defensive order (NATO, U.S. commitments in Asia/Pacific beyond Hawaii).

Still hopeful it doesn't come with a world war.

KnightWriter likes this.
  5. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    [​IMG]

6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, an arms race with China won't end well.

The decline in one superpower and the rise of another usually involves a war.

Vaderize03 and Rylo Ken like this.
  7. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    It's a catchy tune but the lyrics aren't even finished - there are huge sections where she just goes 'whoah uh uh uh uh oh-oh-oh', over and over again.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's almost as though that song is vapid faux empowerment commercialized watered down feminism produced with the minimal amount of effort required for it to make truckloads of money. I expect more from the artist behind "Ur So Gay," "I Kissed A Girl," and "Firework."

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But vapid and watered-down is what 45 understands! :p

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    dp4m likes this.
  11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Great. More mass shootings.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In these case, I am concerned about more targeting of black people by police.

Jedi Merkurian and Yodaminch like this.
  13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

The police happily shoot African-Americans regardless if they're armed or not.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    "You sound like a the_donald mod" - @PointGiven

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Man, Moonlight is a legitimately good movie. Not to mention sincere-- unlike Katy Perry songs.

16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    You also suck at tags.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Good tagging.

EDIT: Looks like Wisconsin is more aligned with 45 than not, as they're stupid with protectionism...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wisconsin-has-a-cow-1487978741

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Bannon, Kushner, and Miller are all urging Trump to NOT repeal ObamaCare

I wonder how Paul Ryan is feeling. Turns out Trump is become the polar opposite kind of Republican. Ryan cares deepest about reforming entitlements (and the Trump budget reportedly rules out Medicare or Social Security cuts), repealing Obamacare, and abortion (which Trump has a mixed record on, and being a social conservative isn't his highest priority, at least when compared to other Republicans in the Ryan/Santorum/Huckabee brand of pro-life social conservatism).

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Holy ****. I agree with Bannon on something.

I need to go take a shower now.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Is that the song where someone says "I am a lion growling like a tiger?"

The meaning is pretty opaque by that point.

22. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Congratulations Arizona. First totalitarian state in the union. I'm sure more will follow.

The Democrats there nailed it: protesting is a First Amendment right, and there are already laws protecting against riots, and those laws are enforced. But the people putting forth this legislation are so stupid that they probably think those of us who marched in the Women's March were either paid by Soros or threw our high-heeled shoes through the windows of Papa John's and New Balance stores on our route.

Abadacus, CT1138 and Bazinga'd like this.
  24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

And the slippery slope to a totalitarian nation accelerates.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.