main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The UDC: So Nice, We'll Do It Twice!! - Announcement About Round #3 - 8/22

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Fattooine, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    It's hard to believe these are over! :(

1) First, do you want another round of drabbles to take place?

Definitely! I'm not sure if I'll participate again, but I think drabbles are a great way to test and have fun with writing, and seeing 20 whopping weeks of prompts all at once can be daunting for latecomers.

2) If so, how long should we wait before we get started again?

Probably not for a few months, if not more. It gives writers and also readers time to settle down and take a break. Let the excitement settle down first.

3) This time we did a balance of one week being general in themes and the following being Star Wars related. What did you think of that balance?

You did?! Wow, I hadn't even noticed! [face_laugh] Hmm now that I look back, that does seem the case! :oops: Personally, I enjoy less Star Wars-y themes, because it is hard to take them any less than literally, which makes writing them extremely challenging. Then again, this is supposed to challenge us... :p If you continue to use both Star Wars and non-SW themes, definitely continue to alternate evenly instead of bunching up :)

4) Is there anything we can do to make this better?

I think you've done a great job. It is simple to understand and is well formatted. No complaints from me. ;)

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006

Defititely. It's fun to not only write these drabbles, but to read the twists different authors give.

A couple months would be good.

3) This time we did a balance of one week being general in themes and the following being Star Wars related. What did you think of that balance?

It's a good balance... I would suggest putting a third week in which you bunch up the general and SW related together.

Hmm... perhaps letting the authors post out of sequence as long as they get the 100 drabbles done in the 20 weeks?

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Sure, they were fun to do

half a year after the big holidays

balance is good

small challenges in some of the items like in the diary challenge.

4. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005

Can you be more specific? I don't understand what you mean by this.

5. LifesAStage-Director

LifesAStage-Director Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2008
    In the diary challenge there are the mini-challenges for each month that are optional to incorporate into the diaries. I'm not sure how you would incorporate that for the drabble challenge however...

6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    "giving up" and the "storm" are examples that can be used. One of the 5 drabbles can have that item.

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005

Oh absolutely!! I had so much fun with this set, I'd love to do another.

2)If so, how long should we wait before we get started again?

Hmmm...[face_thinking] [face_thinking] [face_thinking]...I'd say at least a couple months. That will give the participants a break and a chance to catch up on WIP's or other ideas they have.

Truth be told, I didn't notice [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush]. I just automatically thought Star Wars with each set. I loved all of them, though.

Hmmmm...the only thing I can suggest is perhaps a free-for-all week where the participants come up with five of their own prompts. As long as there are five 100 word drabbles, it counts. Otherwise, I think the challenge is fine the way it is. :) :)

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002

Yes!! I enjoyed these, and I eventually plan to finish the ones I started off the first list :p

A couple months, probably. As fun as these are, it's a slight time-drain to try to get them done every week (and a bit stressful to have them accumulate). A couple months would give us a break and give you time to perfect the list. (Besides, doing challenges too often means you often get less participants.)

I thought it was a nice balance. Not too constricting and nothing era-specific.

Don't think so. Great job, and thanks so much for hosting this :)

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

Heck yeah! This was a blast!

A month or two... give those of us that haven't finished yet time to do so before we start again! ;)

I think it was a great balance! I did notice the alternating and I liked it!

I think it was wonderful, but it might be fun to ocassionally throw in an authors choice as a prompt! :)

Thank you for doing such a great job hosting! =D=

10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005

Absolutely!

I agree with the 2-3 months wait. It'll give everyone time to work on other projects that may have been neglected.

Truthfully, I didn't notice either.

It's all good! :)

11. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!! Please! [face_praying]

Maybe two or three months...give us time to catch up on all the other challanges we signed up for but haven't yet done :p

Personally, I liked the general themes best...it just gave you a wider range to write with and made for more diversity among the drabblers.

Keep doing it!!!

Seriously, though, thank you both so much for putting this together for all of us to enjoy!! Many many bags of M&M's and cheesecake to you!!!

[face_good_luck] Irish

12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Hi,

Yes, drabble challenges are a good idea.

3 months (summer vacation) is a good time.

I think we should have a vig challenge, where the rules are for exactly 1k words instead of 100 words.

then we an have 5 prompts with total of 5k words per 1.5 week (10 days).

13. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    First, do you want another round of drabbles to take place?
    Sure. I had a great time with this one. I'd need some time to recover though.

If so, how long should we wait before we get started again?
    6 months seems good (Is that how long there was since the first one? I have no idea). Although, there is some merit to the summer break theory. Even though not everyone has a "break" per se, it does seem less busy than during the winter (holiday) months.

This time we did a balance of one week being general in themes and the following being Star Wars related. What did you think of that balance?
    *blink* I completely didn't notice it at all. So I guess it worked fine. Although personally, I prefer the more general themes. I think there's more room to play with them and they result in more different interpretations from all the writers.

Is there anything we can do to make this better?
    Not that I can think of. I guess having an open forum for suggesting themes, but if I recall correctly, you're already doing that.

14. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. The "pick your own set" thing does sound intriguing. Thanks to those who have suggested some themes, please keep them coming. As for the doing the same theme as the Diary Challenge, we're not affiliated with them, so I'm not sure that will be happening. And since this is the drabble challenge where each one must be 100 words by definition, I don't think we'll be doing a vig challenge, although I did see a thread start for that I think.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions, please don't hesitate!

15. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    a bit late but finally catching up.

Week 6 has been posted here: http://silsolo.deviantart.com/art/Star-Wars-Drabbles-series-wk6-82945581

16. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    I have started my drabbles, and I have posted week 1 here. http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=28602516&brd=10476

17. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Freakishly late, but finally done!

Here is the last set for The Marriage of True Minds.

Thank you very much for organizing this drabble challenge. It was tiring, but fun!

=D= =D=

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I know you guys are both really busy, but any chance the third one will be starting soon?

19. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    The next one won't be starting till fall, say Septemberish.

20. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    oh man...i really love writing these drabbles, but i don't want to start when most people are already done...

or maybe i will... :D

21. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Gently nudges Zonoma and BigFatty toward Challenge #3!

August is pre Septemberish. :p

Do you guys need themes?

22. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    If you have some you're willing to share, we're still willing to take them. :)

23. Fattooine

Fattooine Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2007
    Back by popular demand, the next round of drabbles will begin on Monday, September 1st. I realize with the schedule set like this, it means we'll be drabbling during Nano again this year. Sorry about that to those of you who participate. If you guys want, we can take a month-long hiatus in the middle to accommodate those people. Also, thanks to KELIA and brodiew, I already have half of our themes for the next challenge. It's not too late to send in some ideas if you have them.

One last thing, all the indexes in this thread have been updated. If we missed something, please let us know.

See you Monday!
    -Fatty

24. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Awesome! I'll do it again.

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.