main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The UK FF convention/meetup planner

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Commander Antilles, Dec 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lejmar_faldor_uk

lejmar_faldor_uk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 20, 2000
    cool seems like the numbers of people going to SW day V just went up =-)

its my first con so im exited i just hope it won't take a week to get over! no wait that might be a good thing......

2. collectors-world

collectors-world Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2001
    COLLECTORS WORLD EVENTS

Presents

Jedicon UK Episode 3

Star Wars Convention

Sunday 22nd April 2001

12 Midday to 6pm

Towngate Theatre
    Town Centre
    Basildon
    Essex
    UK

( Directly opposite Basildon Rail Station only 1 minutes walk )
    ( Loads Of Parking - Good Disabled Access )

*** Jedicon has just been voted the UK's no1 Star Wars Convention ***

M
    * MEET TOP Star Guests
    * Top Dealers
    * Talks On Stage
    * Giant Screen Viewing
    * Competitions
    * Young Jedi & CCG table top games included
    * Professional Photograph Sessions
    * Autograph Sessions
    * PLUS Loads More !!

*** MEET SPECIAL GUESTS INCLUDING ***

* Dave Prowse - Darth Vader
    * Chris Parsons - 4-LOM, K-3PO, Black Death Star Droid, C-3PO, Snow Trooper
    * Alan Ruscoe - Plo Koon, Daultay Dofine, Bib Fortuna in Episode 1
    * Mike Carter - Original Bib Fortuna
    * Warwick Davis - Wald, Weasel, Wicket The Ewok, Yoda
    * Bruce Boa - General Rieekan
    * Michael Sheard - Admiral Ozzel
    * Julian Glover - General Veers
    * Mike Carter - Bib Fortuna
    * Mike Edmonds - Logray

*** PLUS MORE TO BE CONFIRMED !! ***

Book your tickets in advance for a Discount and Special Offers

Book before the 10th April tickets are: Adults: £13 - Child ( 5 to 15 ) £5
    Tickets on the day or after the 10th April Adults: £15 - Children ( 5 to 15 ) £5

Please make Cheques or Postal Orders payable to:

T Greenway

Send Together with a Stamped Self Addressed Envelope To:

Collectors World Events ( JW )
    Nelson House
    341 Lea Bridge Road
    Leyton
    London
    E10 7LA
    UK

Further Information:

Email: info@scifishows.com
    Web Site: www.scifishows.com
    Telephone: 020 8523 1074

3. Kyronicus

Kyronicus Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2000
    Whereabouts in Cheshunt is Empire Day taking place, anyone?

4. clanger

clanger Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2001
    Hi Anonymous Director,
    I'm one of the organisers of Star Wars Day V in Honiton, Devon. We would love to see you at our event but in all honesty I don't think it is possible for you to attend both Star wars Day V and Empire Day. As you are in London anyway you would probably be better off going to Empire Day. You would have to allow about 4 hours to get to Honiton from Cheshunt. Which would make the day a bit stressfull and instead of enjoying yourself you would be travelling!
    Hopefuuly the dates won't clash next year making it easier to attend both.
    Wherever you go have a great time and I hope you enjoy your visit to England.
    Regards,
    Andy(Exe-Wing Charity Fundraisers)

5. Turr_Phennir

Turr_Phennir Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2000
    Empire Day in Cheshunt is at Wolsey Hall, Windmill Lane. Its about 10-15 minutes walk from the railway station.

If you're planning on going you could meet up with those of us going from the FF - we're planning to meet at Liverpool Street - see the post further up.

6. Kyronicus

Kyronicus Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2000
    Cheers, Turr Phenirr! I might just do that.

7. lejmar_faldor_uk

Aug 20, 2000
    are any of you guys planning to go in costume??

what sort of money should i take?

<-- Convention new boy

8. Bash

Bash Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Lejmar, how much money you should take depends on what you're planning on buying!

Hey CA, Turr, and anyone who's going to Memorabilia at the NEC on March 17 and 18, here is who will be there signing:

Craig Charles (Red Dwarf, Robot Wars)
    Colin Baker (Dr Who)
    Lee Martin (Ex Manchester United footballer)
    Shane Rimmer (Thunderbirds, Bond)
    Heather Ripley (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)
    Joe Jusko (US comic artist)
    Sue Llyod (The Baron)
    Alex Cox (Film director)

I'll be in line to meet Lee Martin and maybe Craig Charles. As for the others, I hardly know who any of them are.

Hopefully, they'll be some Star Wars guys as well. There's usually always one or two.

9. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    I think I've done this before, but I'll do a new list anyway.

NEC:
    CA
    Turr Phennir
    Lady Vader

Empire Day:
    CA
    Turr Phennir

Honiton Empire Day:
    ?

Any more?

10. Ttocs

Ttocs Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2000
    im gonna go to emp day.. i think.. thats the one this sunday?... i get all confused.. empire day, star wars day.. same diff.

11. Turr_Phennir

Dec 10, 2000
    Ttocs, yeah Empire Day is this Sunday. E-mail with all the details coming very shortly...

12. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    Ca
    sorry I might have got you confused ....I wanted to go to empire day.
    I dont know about the other one yet.
    (sorry lol)

13. Bash

Dec 8, 2000
    CA, do you read any of my posts?! I'm going to NEC as well! :)

14. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    My mistake, Lady Vader :eek:

NEC:
    CA
    Turr Phennir
    Bash

Empire Day:
    CA
    Turr Phennir
    Lady Vader
    Ttocs

Honiton Star Wars Day:
    ?

15. Turr_Phennir

Dec 10, 2000
    Hey guys, looking good for this Sunday :)

Looking forward to meeting a good many of you then. See further up in the post for details.

16. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    lol it's ok
    you just would have got a shock when I turned up at the other convention. So lucky you posted those then really.

17. lejmar_faldor_uk

Aug 20, 2000
    im looking forward to honiton =-)

hey havent they stoped trains thow?

18. clanger

Feb 6, 2001
    Hi lejmar_faldor_uk,
    Trains are running fine around Honiton at the moment. We have asked the powers that be about the Foot & Mouth situation and any potential problems it may cause. They have given a green light on our event, just the weather to contend with now!!!
    Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else coming to Star Wars Day V.

19. Ramesh

Ramesh Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Are there any events coming up in or around London worth going to?

20. mfalcon

mfalcon Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2001
    i have been watching and reading through varios posts on here, i am a great fan of star wars events and agree that fans do not suport them enough!
    I have attended most events that have been in the UK and a few in other countries.
    I have found the honiton event small and quite pleasant also quite good value for money, but just to far for myself and the large group of friends to go to!
    I have attended it before and can thoroughly recommend it!

We have also attended the events that are held in Basildon Essex, which i have found to be very good, the guests that they advertise do turn up and the entry price is very good value considering that you normally get in excess of 12 guests plus a very good selection of dealer tables that do not seem to be mainly run by the organisers.

We have been to the falcon society events in Cheshunt, i have found them to be a bit of a rip off! Everytime they advertise some one as being there, they normally do not turn up!
    As an example, a group of us went to one where they had advertised Ray Parks and Anthony Daniels as going to be there, even up to the night before they were still telling us that they were going to be there, we queued up in the morning, paid our money to get in, they were selling unsigned pictures of the actors at the door, so we bought some of them to get signed, we went into the hall and was told 30 minutes later that neither of them were going to turn up, as they had other commitments, also that 2 further guests were not going to be there!
    At this a whole load of people converged on the 2 organisers and demanded to know what was going on! They said that they could not do anything and that they were covered as they had put in there adverts that they would appear subject to work commitments, that they would not be issuing any refunds!

So out of disgust a lot of people including children that had come quite a long way left. We also left! We met Anthony Daniels at an event later and asked him why it was that he could not attend and told us that he had no intention of attending that event at all!
    We saw Ray Parks at another signing and asked the same question, he told us that he did not attend as he had been advised by Lucas films that the organisers were not trust worthy and not very well liked by them! This was something that quite surprised us as it was said in a large room full of people, it was also backed up by his agent that was at the event also!
    Also we caught up with 2 further guests that were supposed to be at the event and they said that they were not asked to be there and knew nothing of the event at all!
    We decided to give the Empire day event another try, just to give them the benefit of the doubt as we would any event and it happened again, 3 of the guests did not attend that were advertised!
    So put things in a nut shell we would not personally attend there events again!
    I think giving them 2 chances is enough, we saw the actors at a latter event and they told us that they had no intention of attending the event at all!
    So would you onsider that makes the Falcon Society trustworthy?

We have attended another event which called Darkside Con, which takes place in Germany. We found this to be quite good, in noce setting, the event was held in a cinema, which was different. We would whole heartedly give this event thumbs up, as it is good for a weekend away also

21. clanger

Feb 6, 2001
    Hi Guys,
    Just a quickie, Star Wars Day V (charity event) is still going on this Sunday, please check our website www.exewing.btinternet.co.uk for all the latest updates. We have taken some official advice concerning the current foot & mouth situation here in Devon. There are absolutely no complications applicable to the event. However anyone travelling to the event please observe any notices and instructions given to you and use common sense when travelling through rural areas, i.e not letting dogs off leads in fields with livestock in, etc.
    Sorry to preach but there are a lot of concerned people here in the South West and I'm sure all over the country.
    One other change is Garrick Hagon, due to filming commitments will be unable to attend the event, he sends his regrets and hopefully will be able to make it next year. Fortunately Benedict Taylor (from Ep1) has agreed to attend. All other guests have reconfirmed and will be attending.
    Hope to see some of you at the weekend,
    Clanger.

22. Turr_Phennir

Dec 10, 2000
    I wonder who you are mfalcon and if you have a vested interest in making disparaging remarks about the Falcon Society conventions?

Obviously you are speaking from personal experience as I do and I have to say that I have always found the Chesunt conventions to be good. I too was at the convention, which was supposed to feature Ray Park. It was a major disappointment that he could not attend and I understand that it was indeed Lucasfilm that imposed the restriction. Furthermore, it was clearly displayed outside the convention that Ray Park would not be attending, so why you queued up and didn't realise I don't quite understand.

Why should the organisers give you a refund just because one or two guests did not turn up? Surely, as long as the rest of the convention was provided, you have very little, if anything, to complain about?

As I remember all the other advertised guests were there on the day. As you rightly say, all guests appear subject to work commitments and no one can guarantee that any guest will appear at their convention.

But do you just go to conventions to meet guests? Surely, a convention is much more than its guests and should be judged on its all round entertainment and value for money?

Or are you deliberately making these comments to rubbish the forthcoming convention in Cheshunt? Lets stop this petty tit-for-tat and allow the fans to support each and every convention that they so wish.

Thank you.

23. mfalcon

mfalcon Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2001
    Why would you say that i have a vested interest in making disparaging remarks about them! If I did I would not have such clear reasons would I?

I have been watching this board for quite some time now and keeping in the background.

The whole point of this board is to air a view is it not?

Well this is exactly what I have just done.

I laid out my reasons very clear and concise.

There can be NO misinterpretations at all.

I am not the only person that feels this way.

No I do not just go to conventions for the signings, but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth if you are ripped off, neither I nor a lot of other people saw the posting regarding Ray Parks! If it was so visible there would not have been such a mass exodus from the event.

Even you yourself admit that you know Ray Parks was stopped from going by Lucas Films! Does this not tell you something! You do not even mention Anthony Daniels who was very clear in why he was not there.

This organiser has a very bad reputation with many people including the one group of people that they should respect which is Lucas Films, that is as plain as the nose on your face!

I accept that they cover themselves with the subject to work commitments bit, but do not tell people right up to the night before the event that the actors are still going, when plainly they knew that they were not!

I do not deliberatly make comments off hand or out of context about anything at all, I along with the group that i belong to feel that we have a grievance that we have the right to aire, that is exactly what I have just done!

To address the obvious point that you are trying to make, we do not have a vested interest in anything except star wars fandom and we will not at any time help to promote there events in any way, but we will tell the truth

24. Bash

Dec 8, 2000
    I think I'd get a little annoyed too if someone who was advertised to be at a convention didn't turn up.

25. Ramesh

Ramesh Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Yep, me too, especially if that person was the reason why you went there in the first place!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.