main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Fun facts:

1. Only 30% of May's Cabinet is privately educated. Lowest since Atlee's (25%) (this is the second lowest on record)
    2. 35% are women (highest number on record)
    3. First time two women have held more than one Great Office at the same time (Prime Minister and Home Office)
    4. 9% of Cabinet are BME (14% of UK population are BME) - a slow improvement.
    5. First female Lord Chancellor (Justice Minister)
    6. First Education Sec. with a comprehensive education background
    7. All Brexiters hold departments, which will be effected the most by leaving the EU
    8. 9 Ministers sacked - the highest since the Knight of the Long Knives
    9. Justine Greening is the first LGBT politician to hold the equality brief.
    10. New International Development Minister wrote an article, in 2013, advocating abolishing her new department.

G-FETT likes this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well we know what's going to happen to that department now: it will probably double in size and funding.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Maybe cause I'm a different type of progressive but I care more about the fact that she's getting rid of their dept of energy than how many women she appoints.

Darthmaul208 and V-2 like this.
  5. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm a bit surprised they haven't always had a DoE, or for at least some time. It's relatively new.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Jesus. And she was the best of four?

Seriously, why would you put a man who has made a habit of insulting foreign leaders in charge of dealing with foreign leaders?

V-2 likes this.
  7. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    May has a history of voting against environmental protection legislation, equality legislation, etc. She, like Eagle, can say she took the whip all she wants, her record demonstrates that she's a hypocrite and a danger to the planet.

May made a lovely speech but until she reverses the trend in her voting record, they're just words. Dissolving the environment ministry (shortly after rejecting an opposition vote to assure none of the EU environmental legislation is lost) should fill you with dread. Our farmers and fishers were already under-performing in their stewardship duties, now we've voted out the carrot and it looks like May's going to legislate away the stick too.

So long all the fish, and thanks for ****ing my country up, Brexiteers. You stupid ****ing ****s.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm assuming someone wants a war.

blackmyron and V-2 like this.
  9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Looks like the ladies are in control of the UK now;

[​IMG]

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    this is your actual foreign secretary you absolute loons

[​IMG]

V-2 likes this.
  12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Hahaha. Boorish Johnson.

soitscometothis and KnightWriter like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And they're only just getting started!

Meanwhile the Labour party? Dead. Seriously. I'm not seeng any solution that doesn't involve a split into two parties - that or the Labour MPs lovingly looking back at Tone finally display their true colours and join the Tories. Of course, that might see massive problems with their constituents but it would at least be more honest than the current mega-shambles.

It's interesting to consider that UK politics perhaps doesn't have any politicians who know how to actually resolve disagreement save by steam rollering their way through it. Thus it follows those same politicians don't really understand the concept of opposing the government or what it entails. Where it really goes wrong is when those same politicians hit the international stage and encounter opposition they can't steam-roll, so what then? Then we get the Brexit referendum.

ShaneP likes this.
  14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Zing.

[​IMG]

(from the WSJ)

15. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    It's certainly an odd pick for Foreign Secretary given that some world leaders will occasionally make faux pas comments.

Broadly speaking,foreign ministers are usually people with much more of a diplomatic nature and history of demonstrating it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Forget that. Why is a publicly admitted racist serving in any prominent position in government at all?

Edit: Hahaha. Yay Uganda.

V-2 likes this.
  17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I have to wonder if the Scottish Parliament might consider doing an 'incremental' step towards independence to head off May, who seems to be taking the threat very seriously - instead of a vote for independence, a vote for making a separate deal with the European Union? If that was done prior to the UK finalizing a deal for the exit, that would throw a major wrench into the works, as well as open the door for specific regions (Northern Ireland, for instance, or - hell, even London might a be a long shot) having their own arrangements... and, of course, would really be a de facto independence if it went through.

18. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Am I missing something? Isn't Climate Change and Energy the highest threat to the planet?
    And they are getting rid of it?

V-2 likes this.
  19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I think we might see Scotland getting a similar deal to N.Ireland regarding free movement (and considering the Irish border is going to remain open, we will have open borders with the EU as long as Ireland remains a member anyway). Just having England and Wales leaving would be ideal for everyone, really. Free movement for British nationals within UKOGBANI, and if you like the EU then apply for a Scottish or NI passport! (Please let this happen!)

If the Scots go independent and stay in the EU then I'll be saying goodbye to nasty old England and goamins tae bonny Scotland.

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Well yes because awwl. Gotta keep bringing in that awwl and cawl to burn.

21. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    You can still deal with climate change without wasting taxpayers money on a gimmick department.

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Or something smaller or less than a cabinet level position. I assume the UK has commissions right? Why not have a Energy and Climate Change commission?

Then put it under Environment ministry.

23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Energy is about of the Business Dept. and climate change is covered under the Environment. No need for anything else.

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Well then WTH then? What was Cameron doing? Paying a sop to the activists?

I knew you had a Business Ministry. Didn't know it was also covered energy development but I guess it would.

25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

See Cameron in opposition. He hug huskies and went to the arctic circle.