main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Populism is so loosely defined though, as the wiki article states it's usually used to belittle ones political opponents, or ideologies that reject or oppose one's own, and few people claim the title of populist for themselves. I like the google dictionary definition, which is what I guess I was also addressing. At it's heart, populism is the belief that the people should hold power over their representatives (which we do in elections and selections/deselections).

The author of that article could have used the same arguments to trash the concept of elections, which I pointed out. The Russian communists called their system democratic, as did Castro, quite famously, and by the dictionary they weren't lying as they were ruling on behalf of the people. Lots of dictatorships over the world claim to be representative democracies working for the people's best interests, and use the same arguments to support that narrative, and there's even a death cult religion or two which support the idea that peasants should let wise scholars decide things in their best interests.

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Court ruling says that (party leader) Jezza can go on the ballot without needing a required number of nominations from Parliamentary colleagues;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36909862

This always looked like the probable outcome to me. Labour's rules are quite clear about this.

Jezza is home and dry in terms of being re-elected Lab leader.

V-2 likes this.
  3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    If a country has "democratic" in its name, it probably isn't. :p

darklordoftech, Vaderize03 and V-2 like this.
  4. V-2

Dec 10, 2012

Hard to say who 'won' this one, Corbyn looked tired and spoke softly and decisively, while Smith appeared dynamic but floundered. The seated audience seemed evenly divided, all but a few can be seen applauding both debaters at different times. Smith received the most aghast responses from the crowd (especially regarding party unity, immigration, and Trident), but that will surely be characterised as jeers from the Corbyn mob by the media and the New Labour spin doctors.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Can someone wake me up when Corbyn and Smith have buried themselves and the party?

Then, with Labour's demise, a new political opposition can arise that's more effective.

A Liberal resurrection? Well, stranger things have already happened so.....

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Now you sound like a republican talking about Trump. :p

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why is Farage speaking with Trump at a rally in Mississippi (great optics having a secessionist speak in the former confederacy), while Trump is speaking about how racist Hillary apparently is and how she doesn't care about Hispanics and African-Americans as much as Trump? What's the point of Farage coming here to speak alongside Trump, especially under these circumstances? I know he's not officially in UK government anymore, but still, it's so odd. Is he just trying to help the Brexit = UK's Trump, Trump = US's Brexit narrative? If so, why? How does that help either of them? I'm just baffled.

V-2 likes this.
  8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Right wing populists appealing to the lowest common denominator can back slap one another. How does this elude you Ghost?

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Farage'll be getting paid.

V-2 likes this.
  10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The Times are reporting Jezza is about to be re-elected with a bigger mandate than the one he received from Labour members last year! [face_laugh]

11. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Did you all see Ed Balls on Strictly Com Dancing?

It was funny.

I guess he has a lot of time on his hands now he isn't an MP.
    He was also on the Great British Bake Off.

G-FETT likes this.
  12. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    No, I have taste.

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Didn't see it but clearly Ed Balls is attempting to "rehabilitate" his image/career. Getting ready to have a leadership run after Jezza is defeated in 2020?

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  14. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Keith Vaz

Champion of family values. Anti loads of stuff.

Caught with male prostitutes and drugs.

Hahaha haha.

G-FETT and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_laugh]

Not that it'll take him out, he's the Clay Davis of Parliament.

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Strong rumours that he'll step down

17. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Champion of family values such as hypocrisy/duplicity, nepotism, corruption, fraud, wasting police time, bullying/intimidation... Seriously, this is nothing like the Tory sleaze scandals, this guy had no reputation as any sort of upstanding community member.

He was chair of a committee looking into crime and drugs, so it almost seems reasonable that he should consult with sex workers and discuss their use of drugs. Of course it looks dodgy, but the guy is dodgy.

Also where are you getting the drugs info? Nothing about that on the BBC except that he supposedly talked to two sex workers about poppers.

18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Oh, agree. Nothing like the Tory issues.

As far as I know "Poppers" falls under the category of drugs. Mild granted but still drugs.

I'll be honest in the fact that I skim read the article as I was at my in laws but everything is pointing to it not being completely above board which considering the fact that Vaz is decidedly dodgy anyway doesn't surprise me.

Either way it sill amuses me.

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Keith Vaz has always been one of those odd "characters"/"hangers on" that seems to be attracted by politics.

If there's a "breaking" news story or TV news camera crew around, you can normally expect Keith Vaz to be on the scene fairly quickly, giving the world his two-pennith and generally attention-seeking...

I imagine that for once he'll be keeping his head down this time though! [face_laugh]

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I saw a couple of newspaper reports that said he is to step down but BBC News website says he will tell the committee his plans on Tuesday. Can't really stand the guy so no great loss if he does.

FatBurt likes this.
  21. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Yeah, leaving the world no poorer, Vaz steps down as chair of the home affairs select committee.

In my opinion these recent indiscretions pale in comparison to all his nepotistic shenanigans and string-pulling on behalf of billionaires but hey. I guess that's politics. If you're caught up to your arms in massive corruption everything's good but if you're caught using the proceeds to hire a couple of prostitutes it's game over.

Darthmaul208 and V-2 like this.
  22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Only politician I've heard speak out in favor of him (on the BBC London radio news) was Ken Livingston. Another waste of space..

23. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    What was it he said that you disagreed with?

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Not so much what he said - I just can't stand the man. Every time he opens his mouth it sounds like he's trying to con the listener - much the same as Vaz.

25. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Do you feel other politicians don't try to con the listener? Or is it that you have more respect for the politicians who are more convincing liars? Help me out here.

I don't much like Ken's Estuary accent, or his willingness to discuss Hitler, but his politics are generally fairly sound. There's not much to disagree with regarding his comments on Vaz's sexual conduct. What I thought was stupid was to suggest that Vaz had only made 'one or two mistakes'.

If Vaz paid for sex, why should that disqualify him from investigating prostitution laws? Can you think of any other services or goods that, if paid for by a politician, would bar that politician from a committee investigation into said goods or services? Is there a conflict of interests if you pay for sex?