main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm in a "restful" blue today (although there is a bit of black in my shirt) [face_thinking]

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, within 24 hours of invoking article 50, their 'great repeal bill' is revealed as practically an enabling act.

Trust that it'll be time-limited? Yeah, right, expect in a few months or year's time: "Due to the immense amount of changes required, the repeal legislation will be extended for the entirety of the Parliamentary Term for maximum efficiency."

4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It is required, though.

We have thousands of EU regulations and laws, that it is almost impossible to deal with them on an individual basis and repeal via vote. No other option.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, the logic seems reasonable enough, but where's the safeguards? What's to prevent them widening this to any piece of legislation they don't like?

The, er, haha, Opposition? Nope. Other Tories? Unlikely.

Brexit seems likely to deliver an executive riding roughshod over the very parliamentary sovereignty it claimed to wish to restore.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  6. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    It's written into the bill, so they've limited themselves.

This isn't like with Blair, who was the last Prime Minister who wanted to use these ancient powers to remove any piece of legislation (without a good reason)

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The purr-fect Brexit solution:

[​IMG]

Rew, SuperWatto, Chewgumma and 5 others like this.
  8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I really like that cat.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, this happened:

[​IMG]

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...nding-in-defiance-of-edl-protester-goes-viral

Abadacus, Rew, starfish and 1 other person like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL I love it. I wonder how long it took that protester to go home and make a profanity-laced rant on the Internet about "SJWs" or some such.

As far as the group being called "English Defence League," somehow I don't think the average UK citizen wants misogyny and racism to be considered a key part of English culture.

Alpha-Red, starfish and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    EDL are a bunch of football hooligans, who have no understanding of English culture and forget St. George was an Arab.

12. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Syrian, actually.

Chewgumma likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    re: UDL....

What Daniel said.

DanielUK likes this.
  14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Why thank you.

Arabic has influence on the English language and, of course, the European renaissance was heavily seeded by the Golden Age of Islam. So, kinda odd for the EDL to "defend" our culture and heritage from Islam.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

"We let the Syrians over here they'll kill all our wildlife! They've already made the humble English dragon extinct! What next? The badger? The red squirrel? Where do we draw the line!?"

Mar17swgirl and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    The slaying of the dragon is pre-Christian Persian legend, I believe.

Chewgumma likes this.
  17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

And here was me always thinking it was a metaphor for keeping the Welsh in check. :p

Rew and DanielUK like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I can't recall where I saw it or when but someone found this image of a Full English Breakfast and detailed the origins of the individual pieces - you can guess the general gist of it easily, not many pieces were actually English in origin.

19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Yeah, what a great photo. Definitely captures the absurd mindset of EDL and similar groups and what an appropriate reaction to them looks like.

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh yeah. And so it is with many things. People think multiculturalism is a modern thing, when cultures and cultural influences have been mixing since the Romans times and throughout the Middle Ages.

Rew and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  22. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I was expecting this, it was inevitable.

May's personal ratings and private polling is almost at dictatorial support. Plus, a Tory researcher told me, the party has documented every pro-IRA, anti-NATO, pro-USSR and whacky left wing remark Corbyn has made. They will destroy the Labour party.

Labour hasn't even responded to the announcement. Political death awaits them.

G-FETT likes this.
  23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

I can see why she's done it - Mean polls over the weekend were giving the Tories leads of over 20%!

But still surprised as I never had her down as risk-taker...Looks like she's more in the mould of Wilson, Maggie and Blair rather than Major, Brown or Cameron.

24. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    It's the best PM lead is what matters. A better indicator than overall party support, historically speaking. And she has a 40 point lead. Among voters, who have the highest turnout, Tories have a 30 point lead or so over Labour. 50 point in 65s.

There is every indication the polls are undervaluing Tory support. Which is scary to think.

Other things to note: My old bosses, the Lib Dems, don't have the money to fight all 360 odd seats. More or less will be 300, and half will be paper candidates. SNP have hit the high mark in Scotland and are beginning to lose support with the public; UKIP - LOL Brexit killed them stone dead. Major financial backers have returned to the Tories.

In conclusion, it would be madness not to go to the polls. May is still enjoying a honeymoon period with voters.

G-FETT likes this.
  25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Tories were sure they'd win the Brexit referendum, and then the unheard majority came out and gut punched them to make a statement.
    Could the same group not do the same in the election?