main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Corbyn speech was badly timed, but I don't think the context of it was outrageous as people are making out. He is right about the War on Terror (which is an absurd phrase) has failed, or more correctly, is not having the desire outcomes.

Rew likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Maybe the intelligence agencies are afraid of more terrorist events, given the holiday weekend and some big events, like the FA Cup tomorrow. Therefore more of an armed (and plainclothes) police presence. I haven't seen anything locally but then I live in a suburban area and haven't been up to our town center since before the Manchester bombing.

3. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    IFS: Tax burden at the end of the next Parliament (2022)

[​IMG]

Deficit:

[​IMG]

Tax and benefits:

[​IMG]

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    DanielUK - just saw a police press conference from Manchester. The spokesman said there had been a rise in hate crime since the bombing and recommended people use the 'report it' website I linked to above. So if your friend is still having problems she might want to do that (if she hasn't done it already).

Also a factor in the policing will be that Ramadan begins tonight.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, there has been a look **** going around Canterbury, too. People are idiots.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  8. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I made Lord Vivec proud today. Had a good yelling match with my Conservative candidate for Parliament. What a complete and utter moron.

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    DanielUK

Who is your perspective Conservative parliamentary candidate? And what was the bust-up about?

10. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Julian Brazier. Been MP for decades.

He was rabbiting on about Labour's "marxist" manifesto and I pointed out it was a) far from it and b) Tories were pursuing state intervention, if not more, than Labour. This election is between state capitalists, who want to intervene and build stuff, or state capitalists, who want to really restrict who can be hired. Especially foreigners.

It is amazing how quickly they've alienated the under 35s. I kinda want May to lose, but our electoral system makes that impossible (Labour require a 10 point swing to get a majority of 1). So it isn't happening.

G-FETT, Jedi Ben and Rew like this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'd rather see May in Downing Street than Corbyn and Diane Abbott. I think the latter two would be about as competent as Trump currently is in the US.

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Oh right! Who will you vote for? I note the Canterbury Parliamentary Constituency has been Conservative at every election since 1885! :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canterbury_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    We are the safest seat in the country. Doesn't matter who I vote for, it is irrelevant due to the size of the Tory majority here.

Jedi Ben and G-FETT like this.
  14. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly though the IFC for me is if not clearly linked to one party generally in favour of current austerity orthodoxy, the old "national debt as household debt" idea.

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    It won't change the outcome but you can still "send a message" by voting for someone else?

Alpha-Red likes this.
  16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I wonder what will happen if the Tories win but end up with a lesser majority than they have now .

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That would certainly be a blow for May. I'd wonder if she'd resign if that happened.

18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Yeah, I do that all the time. I usually write "ditch FPTP" on the ballot.

G-FETT likes this.
  19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Actually I want the conservatives to win this time.

DanielUK likes this.
  20. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Due to the voting system, they will. The victory isn't in doubt - just the size of the majority.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Well, good. The Tories helped create brexit, they should be the ones to deal with the fallout.

22. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    If she gets a smaller majority than Cameron after calling the election three years early I think she'd undoubtedly have to resign...

It would also leave her Brexit negotiations in tatters as she's called the election supposedly to secure a mandate for her Brexit stance... If the public says we don't like your Brexit stance (by giving her a smaller majority than the one she starts off with) then she's finished.

23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    IF (and I highly doubt it will happen) gets a smaller majority than Cameron, she'll have no choice but to call a national government (via the Queen) to do Brexit negotiations and new elections, once the deal has been signed and passed by Parliament.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I can only conclude the Tory party think they cannot possibly lose:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...x-seat-batley-spen-gun-joke-apology-ann-myatt

25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    ARE YOU ******' KIDDING ME?!?

Jedi Ben likes this.