main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Except his father never intended that?

Juliet316 , SuperWatto and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    And Daddy's closest advisers all warned W against going in.

Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Rats, beaten to it re: Bush Sr

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    these were just adjustments to benefits tho* , they can hardly be compared to the goliaths of actually creating the welfare system or the setting up of the NHS .

.*(and I'm pretty sure a lot of those figures would be contested by different analysts)

Blair did do some good things ,no doubt , and some of those changes to benefits were very good , he was Tory-lite , he appealed to the middle-classes because he wasn't going to re-nationalise stuff or raise their taxes , he played the political game very well. He was slimy and a smart .

but he was also scum , he was the one in charge that declared he had all the info he needed to take us to war , he's a liar and a warmonger , he should be rotting in prison .

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Been at the pub, gez?

You're not American, so struggling with the basics shouldn't be your MO.

Being redistributive is not impacted by setting up the NHS (Labour, WWII) and welfare state (Liberals). It's about distributing the wealth of society.

It's reasonably simple.

DanielUK likes this.
  6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Sanders policy on trade and taxation makes Corbyn look like a liberal. Which is quite the achievement.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Blair was of course also around in a very economically favourable period that meant Labour had money to spend without making difficult choices.

8. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'd argue they overspent during that period too.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Both of your posts very much reflect the hard sell for the last seven years of that exact picture, which is certainly testimony to the political PR skills employed by the Conservatives but little else, as at the time they supported both Iraq and didn't take much issue with Labour's budgets year on year either.

After the crash and the big spend to keep the banks afloat, they clearly saw an opportunity to reinvent their enemies as mad spenders and did so very successfully.

This was for the last election in 2015, but it's still a good set of charts:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...t-show-how-they-coped-last-time-10173328.html

EDIT: This is so very ****ing stupid:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...mand-to-agree-divorce-bill-before-trade-talks

Excellent, the Guardian decided to join in the throwing of lit turds with that headline, God only knows what the tabloids will phrase it as.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    You'll all have seen Piers Morgan telling Michael Gove off.
    I can't help it guys, but I pity Gove. He looks so lost. A little boy that can't find his mum. He may be an ass but I just want to protect him from the big bad world out there.

11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    No I'm not American (how unusual for you to mention americans ) ;)

I never actually mentioned redistribution , my comments were in part in reference to the exchange between you and Jabba-wocky who asked what Blair did that rivaled things like the NHS .

btw - weren't things like child benefit given to the rich as well as poor .?

12. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

The NHS is universal welfare, too. Your point?

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, benefits were issued without means testing, which isn't as bad an idea as it sound once you consider the cost of administering means-testing for millions relative to the cost of just issuing the benefit. The latter tends to be cheaper overall!

Meanwhile, despite a wafer-thin, extremely dodgy majority Davis is acting as if it's a super-majority to leave the single market, customs union and just about everything else and to hell with whatever damage results to the country. Remember, these are politicians that sell themselves as Conservative embarked on the most reckless act of sheer political and economic destruction in ages.

14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    EU will stall Brexit until Labour gets in. They'll change the March 2019 deadline.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Oh come on.

We both know that the Remain campaign failed because it had nobody who could speak to working class voters on their terms. Corbyn's silence on the matter was tacit support for the leave vote, and so it is not the Conservatives alone who are managing this ruinous task.

Public showmanship tactics aside, the situation you're going into now would not be materially different if Labour was managing it.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh yeah, Remain went for macroeconomics to sell the EU when it should have gone for football travel costs and mobile phone charges.

But even a Tory would probably rate Starmer above Davis for the EU negotiations.

The other problem is I don't think we're going to get the outbreak of sanity we both hope for, that Davis is a 'does what it says on the tin' politician, although I suspect he wouldn't commit to that either and keep what it says on the tin secret.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yay, Brexit bills - anyone got any positive spin for this deranged wish list?

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  19. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    well I mean, come on. the referendum was a massive 52/48 split in favour, followed up by an election whereby the Tories were forceably and blatantly told a hard Brexit is not in the public's wishes. i mean why wouldn't they press on as billigerently as ever?

Jedi Ben and SuperWatto like this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Though, weren't there next-day polls that asked if people had Bregrexits and would they vote differently, in which the Leave vote went up?

Barking mad.

Could you imagine if the best your country had to offer was a man in a Brooks Bros suit, who spoke in long-winded terms about hope and freedoms and liberty and "values"?

In other words, toast to Her Maj for being better than merely presidential.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Also, on the topic of easy targets:

[​IMG]

22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    [face_laugh]

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  24. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Based on that I should be in the clear by the time UK actually leaves the EU. And it looks like the application form will change from a complicated paper one to an easier online thing.

I think that's a reason to be cautiously optimistic. :)

25. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

I was never in any doubt that you'd have any problems.. But its good to hear its brought you some peace of mind. :)