main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It's easy for the unaffected to look at a situation and be in no doubt of the outcome. It's borderline impossible for those directly affected to do the same. Particularly given the gravity of the situation. Though this evening is a good start, there's a fair bit of alignment still to be done before the peace of mind those not in our situation are accustomed to is finally given back to us.

solojones and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sources at the EU summit have said the discussions are characterised by "deep expertise" on both sides, and by common points being established. Should validate my point about public nonsense vs private actual negotiations. Less doom and gloom that previously thought, in other words. :D

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's in everyone's interest that this work out, so cooperation is the best course of action.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I suppose if Davis is smart enough to listen to his advisers that'd cover the 'deep expertise', because there are some very smart civil servants.

(Two ex-colleagues are up to their eyes in it and, if listened to, will do a good job on it.)

The media reporting will probably continue to be dreadful by depicting it as World War 3.

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I have my doubts about Davis being smart tbh but one can only hope

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Generally though Ministers do little of the talking in those negotiations. I've been in a few bilats with former ministers here and they'll usually open the proceedings, and sort of manage the responses in terms of "ok, we're talking about this? Well, I've got Person Y, Head of Responses in That Area of the Department, so they will run through our response" or the like.

They are there to guide an agenda in broad terms, but the details is not in their wheelhouse and they know it.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That sounds encouraging, though I still think you had the better politicians running it. (Though, it might not have looked that way at the time! Such are the times we live in.)

8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The EU know May won't be here by October. Whatever she says publicly on the matter means nothing to them now. Davis and the civil servants are running the show.

Even though a part of me is starting to think Brexit won't happen at all.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Lord Buckethead returns - at Glasto:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jun/24/lord-buckethead-theresa-may-glastonbury-sleaford-mods

SuperWatto likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Meanwhile, the stupidity has begun:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tic-brexit-coverage-newsnight-eu-negotiations

11. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    for all the hate Abbott gets, Leadsom is like 10 times worse.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    on what basis? The Tories would never reverse their decision now, surely

13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

The EU holds out for a Labour government.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That would require Labour growing a spine to work, now maybe they will or maybe they'll remain shackled to 'will of the people' as per June 2016.

15. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    why would the Tories declare another election? I wonder whether the EU would actually be that brazen

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I can't stand either one of them. Leadsom lost any respect I might have had for her with her whole 'but I have children' spiel when she was running for the Tory leadership opposite May. Like that makes her a special snowflake?

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Difference is Leadsom is in a position of political power.

18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh, Leadsom is a ****in' devil child; her views on "the family" makes Mussolini liberal.

Leader of the Commons is not as powerful as it once was. She, thank the maker, has zero political power.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, was under the impression she was still in a ministerial role - I'm behind the times.

Good to know.

20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    They prefer democratically elected politicians to resign, and then they replace them with a technocrat.

21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Andrea Leadsom reminds me of another eurosceptic Tory MP who was also as mad as a box of frogs - Teresa Gorman.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK but I mean, it's not mathematically possible for her to be worse than Abbott though. There are just not enough hours in the day, at 27; or days in the week (8) for Leadstrom to become worse.

23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Leadsom speech to the 1922 Committee, during the Tory leadership hustings, was about babies brain development and influencing them to become good citizens....

24. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I've limited experience with John McDonnell, and what I've seen I haven't especially liked, but using inflammatory language like murder to describe victims of a tragic accident is low.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40401314

25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Sorry for the bad language, but this is what a Tory MP summed up the current situation...

[​IMG]