main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm hoping he just means it's surreal that we're just now seeing charges for something there should have been charges for nearly 30 years ago.

But then that's what happens when the police falsify and outright change witness statements in order to shift the blame from themselves to the victims, and the PM backs them up.

This is truly a case of better (extremely) late than never.

Juliet316 and DanielUK like this.
  2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It just seems surreal to have a current announcement about something that happened almost thirty years ago. I agree that it's certainly better late than never, and that it's good that the charges have been brought.

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The public inquiry only happened a few years ago.

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

The cousins are just now exercising their deep insight into UK affairs.

Daniel already provided the best ones, though Corbyn and Sanders need to be included too. Corbyn at least has fed into the same nasty anti-Semitism as Trump, and when you consider populism needs Others to rally the Virtous Ordinary People, whose Rights have been Denied by a cabal of Elite Others, you find yourself at nasty conclusions.

Plus we cannot ignore the fact that Corbyn is solidly pro-Brexit. Has been for years.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Keep beating that antisemitism drum. Nobody's listening.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    He's been a member of a group of holocaust deniers for years, Vivec. Dier Yassim Remembered? He has paid tribute to the Black September terrorist Atef Bseiso, who was one of the architects of the 1972 Munich massacre.

If people aren't listening, that's reinforcing the point. I know you have a crush in your trousers on this man, but you shouldn't as he's deeply unworthy.

7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I know we're friends but on cases like this I don't look to you for whether my trouser crushes are unworthy.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I provide excellent advice on these fronts!

But the thing is, I don't mind a leader who says stuff like "Israel, you're being dicks." I'd vote for our Labor party if Tanya Plibersek were leader in a heartbeat because she's said this before.

But aligning oneself to a Holocaust denial movement? Celebrating Black September terrorists? I think we can agree his love for Chavez and enthusiastic support for Venezuela's "soshulism" is a bit first year university - naive, idealistic, wilfully deaf-and-blind to the grimmer realities. But lamenting that bin Laden had no trial, laying a wreath at a butcher's grave? Mustn't.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

As I've pointed out all the way along, Jezza has been for LEAVE for 40 years (in fact he'd have campaigned not to join the Common Market in 1973 and he'd have been for LEAVE in the 1975 referendum)

I've always thought he would have voted to leave in the privacy of the polling booth last year... And whilst the PLP did force him to campaign half-heartedly for remain last year his heart clearly wasn't in it.

He was just playing along until he and McDonnell were in a stronger positon within the PLP... And of course after the general election they are now unassailable.

Even Farage was probably in favour of the Common Market back in the 70's.... So out of everyone in UK public life at the moment Jezza is probably the most eurosceptic of all of them - A fact somehow overlooked by all the Millenialls who were cheering him on at Glasto and weirdly remain Tories in places like Canterbury! [face_laugh]

Ender Sai likes this.
  11. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Corbyn has called Hamas his friends. The same Hamas that's sole purpose is the destruction of Israel. He also has ties to Iran and other extremists. Odds that he's NOT an anti-Semite are astronomically low. The company a person keeps is pretty telling about that person's character & beliefs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...rbyn-friend-to-Hamas-Iran-and-extremists.html

People in Western countries need to realize that Islamist terror groups like Hamas, Hezbollah & the PLO are all part of a network that includes ISIS & Al Qaeda. For years, Israel has been a test ground for the terror tactics that are used in the West. Stabbings, suicide bombings, car rammings, etc. They're patented & perfected in Israel and then exported to the West.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think we do understand that, quite well. American politicians, at least, never miss a chance to fearmonger.

13. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The SNP took the decision to be in "disarray" i.e. concentrate on the most pressing constitutional issue which is currently in disarray thanks to a party that did immeasurably worse in the GE but has given away £1bn and instantly jeopardized the peace in order for it to pretend that it isn't in total disarray.

I feel so secure and thankful about that.

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

I really don't think Jezza is an anti-Semite". He genuinely feels strongly about al

The thing with Jeremy is that for him the use of "friends" would be to be inclusive... He wouldn't use that word in the literal sense (these people are my "friends") but in the context of "Friends thanks for coming to my solidarity meeting. Friend and foe must come together in the name of peace"

I don't think Jeremy has actually been close, personal "friends" with Hamas, PLO, IRA, etc... Although politically he would lean towards those he feels have just cause to be aggrieved.

And he did see the IRA as being instrumental in the "defeat" of the British state (which his wing of the Laboou Party wished for) which he thought (at the time) would be an important part of the revolution.

epic , gezvader28, Rew and 1 other person like this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News

Head of Kensington and Chelsea Council to step down following the problems with handling the Grenfell Tower tragedy. Says he will stay on until a replacement is found.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Heheheheheh - oh how neat, who's going to take on that job?

Meanwhile - yep, Corbyn's gone nuts, that was fast.

With the May-niacs and DUP running riot we really are in the world of Mottram.

17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    really , such . . . utter rubbish .

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yeah, ok Gez, except you're talking out of ignorance mate, so maybe don't. Maybe go look at DYR's website where they try and dress up Holocaust denial as a "valid attempt to revisit history".

Just because you can talk out of your arse doesn't mean you should. I'd say the same thing to Boris Johnson.

G-FETT - he's just part of this group of people who are happy to allow anti-Semites a platform to be bigots because the wider cause - justice for the Palestinians - is the shared cause. So, you know, it's ok to let them speak intolerant hate because Israel are, quite frankly, war criminal human rights abusing knobs.

Question becomes; if you don't speak against any forms of intolerance, do you tactily endorse it?

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well yeah it certainly does seem that under Corbyn Labour has attracted people all sorts of "fringe" views. And then you've got the old anti-Semites like Ken Livingstone who have been loose cannons for years.

I was actually surprised, during the election campaign, that the media didn't throw a spotlight on Labour's new members and Councillors with extremist and racist views. It was and remains an unexploded bomb under the Corbyn leadership...

Still think there's very little evidence to suggest Corbyn himself of Anti-Semitic and racist though...

20. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    ...are you kidding? the media were trying to force that narrative down our throats for over a year previously, the progress wing of Labour were waiting hawk like to pounce on the slightest hint of sexism or racism whether it existed or not. During the election they did need to conform to a higher standard of impartially focusing on actual policy rather than muck raking.

Quite amusing really that after all that invented fuss about Sien Fein in which Corbyn was ahead of the curve looking for negotiation the Tories are now directly in bed with the DUP for there own political convenience at the potential cost of political stability and peace in NI.

21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    They didn't really go digging into Labour members and Councillors though? Most of the "scrutiny" was focused on Corbyn himself (and McDonnell and Abbott) which in in terms of Corbyn it never really amounted to much as he is not a racist.

Agree about the DUP stitch up.

Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

22. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I remember a lot of focus on members, lots of trawling the net for comments that could be spun in that direction, heavy focus on potential anti-Semitism being a big issue were the media laped it up and didn't focus at all on the potential for this to actually be more of a political issue with the Israeli lobby seeking to influence events.

Honestly even with the referendum I think Corbyn being sidelined by the media(until very late anywhere when they started to get scared) in favour of just focusing on Boris and Cameron tells you a lot of the reason for the result. He is obviously less pro EU than Cameron was or indeed previous Labour leaders yet his pro remain message would have been much more one of the need for change within the EU(were now in a vastly different situation to 70's) were as all we got was project fear, basically vote for the status quo or everything falls apart. Not surprising that this forced a lot of voters into the leave camp however dubious a lot of the claims it was making were.

23. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    What's worse is that Labour failed to acknowledge or deal with the fact that a good chunk of traditional Labour supporters happen to have been racists who responded to the "immigrants take our jobs" and "Europe takes our money" campaign of fear.

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Don't be so silly, Vivec. You're a lot smarter than that.

Ender Sai likes this.